Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not sure what to think?

Hello all! I went to my surgeons office yesterday for my 6 week checkup (really it was 5 weeks). He said I was doing well. He asked how much food I was able to eat and I estimated a cup, plus I snacked once a day on healthy stuff (carrot, etc). He said he only wanted me to eat 3 times a day (Protein first, veggie or fruit next), and NO SNACKS! He feels healthy snacking turns into unhealthy snacking. I said that I was snacking because of being hungry and he questioned my hunger as possibly "head hunger." He also said he could be wrong, but felt that once I moved to solids that I would eat less.

I received no fill as I lost 4 pounds in the last 3 weeks. He said to call him if I havent' lost 5 pounds in a month. He'll do a fill then.

He does not want me to count calories at all. I was keeping my intake on fitday.com and he said "no more of that." You've probably counted calories before and it didn't work. He would not give my calorie requirements.

So...no Snacks, no counting calories, no liquids during meals, and no fill.

How does this sound to you?

I do not normally count calories, I pretty much know what I'm taking in..I do snack on occassion, it is easier to not snack when you have the proper fill level. Without it it can be difficult. Many U.S. docs are more consewrvative on their fills they really want you to work the band and creep up on restriction where as MX docs fill you to a higher capacity quicker so you can reach restriction quicker. We do have to do some of the work, there is no doubt about it...the rule of thumb is if you are following the rules and not losing in 3 consecutive weeks you may need a fill ..if you are losing 1-3 lbs a week then you are doing great!

Hmmm, I dont really agree with it to be honest.

The snacking part that is. I mean,he may be right in that snacking can turn into unhealthy snacking but its like feeding a child when you have a band. Limited tummy capacity but big need for nutrients and its pretty well established that eating five or six very small meals a day can help keep your metabolism up when you're losing weight.

I'm not the most compliant soul though, I'd just go ahead and do what the heck I wanted to anyway.

And if you want to track calories then track calories. Personally, I want to let this go and never do it again, but if it helps you then do it.

but felt that once I moved to solids that I would eat less.

Yes. You are not full into banded eating at this point if you are not eating hard protiens first, then veggies/fruits, then carbs if needed. Yes, you will stay fuller for longer when you are eating bandster meals.

Here's my opinion about Snacks. Yes, healthy snacking can turn into unhealthy snacking. Yes, it could just be head hunger you are fighting. BUT, the hungrier you let yourself get, the more likely you are going to eat too fast, take too big a bite, or do something to get stuck or even PB, and is not healthy for your band. I also think that starving is not good for your metabolism, and thats what I'm fighting with. My metabolism is shot and I keep having to sneak around it to lose. It's a real crap shoot.

As for counting calories, I don't. However, it's a good idea to count for a few days to get an idea of what you are putting in your mouth. That info helps you to make better eating choices, so yes, count, but no, don't count all the time. And go to www.room42.com to get your calorie, fat, carb, protien requirements for weight loss so you will know what you are shooting for.

I usually eat a scrambled egg w/ cheese for Breakfast. sometimes I'll even start with and 8oz glass of milk and add a 1/2 slice of whole wheat toast. I'm fine until lunch and have whatever, a sandwich, large salad, some chicken, leftovers, whatever. By 4pm I need something. It's just too far to go until 6-7pm when we eat dinner. My 2yo can't do it. He needs a snack. I need one, too. I can occasionally avoid it my making a half pot of coffee, but then I'm drinking cream/sugar, so wouldn't it be better to eat some veggies? Or grilled chicken breast? 2-3 ounces maybe? Anyhow. I snack once a day in the afternoons. I find I eat a much more sensible dinner that way.

No liquids during meals...doc is right on there. No arguing about that one.

No fill...if you are losing, you shouldn't need one. There is nothing worse than being too tight. But if you are struggling, by all means, get one! It's what your band is for. Give it 3 weeks and call to schedule that fill if it's not going well. It sounds as if you have pretty good restriction now but that will change and it will be a whole new world when you move to solids. I don't think anyone should get a fill before 6 weeks anyway. And no way should you get one if you don't even know what it's like to chew and swallow moist grilled chicken breast. I'd eat mushies all the time if I let myself...guacamole, refried Beans, eggs, etc. but you really need to do the solid protiens first to get a feel for how your band is working for you.

Good luck!!!

I have no band, yet - but I did read a study while researching for my insurance appeal that indicates over-aggressive fills may lead to slippage and erosion.

Just FYI.

:]

I have no band, yet - but I did read a study while researching for my insurance appeal that indicates over-aggressive fills may lead to slippage and erosion.

Just FYI.

:]

Yup, which is why I hesitate on fills. If I can make it work with the restrictoin I do have, then I will. Finding the balance between wroking a fill and using your band to it's potential is a toughie.

Right now I'm so tired of losing the same 2-3 pounds it's maddeneing. Yesterday I was 193.0. Today? 195.2. What's up with that?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"BUT, the hungrier you let yourself get, the more likely you are going to eat too fast, take too big a bite, or do something to get stuck or even PB, and is not healthy for your band." _ The Best Me (Kathy)

I totally agree with this statement! The first few times that I had that stuck feeling, was in the beginning when I was trying to follow the 3 meals a day thing. If you let yourself get too hungry, you eat too fast when you finally do eat! At least I do! And that is just not good! Lately I have been keeping chicken salad made & if I get to feeling hungry i eat a couple of bites. It satisfies me till the next meal. Doing this I have lost 10 lbs in a week (of course that was after gaining 7) It still counts! LOL!

Wow, I always get good info. and feedback here! Thanks. I tend to agree with you all regarding snacking. If I am starving, I tend to want to eat more and eat fast.

I am not snacking at this point, but feel little restriction. I ate about 3 oz. of pork, and then carrot and cabbage, and salad. I felt satisfied. Kinda different from last week, when I'd have a golf ball feeling. Now, I feel like I can go on and on.

I think I'll try to not count calories and see where the scales leave me...I already know WHAT I should be eating.

No liquids is something to get used to but I'm not having a difficult time with that one!

Taking it one day or week at a time is what I plan on doing.

Thanks for the support, Shawn