Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

11 days post-op, a few questions!

Is it just me or is it really hard to read your body after you are banded? I'm not sure when I'm hungry, if the growling is because I'm hungry or what. Also, I have weird pains around my port every now and then and not sure what it's all about. How do I know if something is stuck?? I don't have my first fill until 11/19 so it's just the band, but how do I know when I've eaten something that I shouldn't and if it's stuck?? I have a confession, yesterday I swallowed a piece of gum. I started laughing and swallowed it on accident. How do I know if it's stuck or if it went down? I'm totally freaking out about it. Does anyone know how many calories I should have each day in order to lose weight?

Sorry to bombard with all the questions, right now I'm going through a "confused" phase. I'm starting to get discouraged because I'm not really dropping much weight. What more can I do? Also, does anyone have a Protein Shake suggestion?? I'm having a hard time finding a yummy Protein shake. I haven't been getting my required protein since I'm only on full liquids. How and I suppose to get 40grams when only on liquids?? One last thing, I've heard that you can "stretch" your pouch. How do you know if you've stretched your pouch or not?

Edited by Angela0630

I don't know about the gum...I would call your doc's office about that just to make sure. I was told that to get your Protein requirement during the liquid stage, you had to have the Protein Shakes (or you can buy Protein Powder and add it to your Soups or drinks - I bought unflavored Unjury and you really can't taste it). I also like the Premiere ready to drink protein shakes (got them at Costco) - so far, those have been my favorite. I am finding it difficult to get two of those down a day (they have 30 gms of protein each)...I get in almost a whole one a day though and have just been adding the protein powder to my Soup, yogurt or pudding to get in the rest.

If something gets stuck, you'll know it. You'll have pain, mucus (slime), burping, pb (productive burp where the food comes back up in pretty much the same condition it went down). Since you swallowed your gum yesterday, I'm sure it went through, or you wouldn't be able to take liquids. A lot of bandsters say no gum because of the possibility of swallowing it. As you get more restricted, you might not get so lucky if you accidentally swallow it. That being said, I do sometimes chew gum, but I only chew it for a short time. I don't think my doctor ever mentioned gum, and I'm really not sure how dangerous it is if it's accidentally swallowed. But just keep in mind that things you get away with now, when you have little restriction, will become more difficult as you get fills.

I had intermittent port pain for probably a month, and on rare occasions for maybe three months especially if I had been sitting for long periods of time.

My doctor said no gum for one year post surgery due to the fact that you could swallow it and the fact when you chew gum it gets the juices going in your stomach. I too had trouble with Protein Shakes, just had my surgery 10/14/09. Someone suggested adding some Peanut Butter especially with the vanilla powder, just blend and it was pretty tasty. They also sell Protein shots: Profect, there are 25 g of protein in each shot. You can drink it straight or add to Water and crystal light. They are a little expensive about $2.50 a piece but you get a good amount of protein.They sell them at GNC and some Walmart's.