Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December Bandsters 2009

My surgery is Wednesday the 16th, and I'm a little more anxious than I had thought I would be. I went for a pre-op physical yesterday, as required by my hospital, and in the 8 days that I've eaten nothing but Optifast shakes, I have somehow lost only 5 pounds. I'm disappointed - I know how stupid that is, but I am. I had this idea that I'd take off like 10 or 15 pounds in the two weeks before surgery, and I've done everything I have committed to do, but only lost five (with four days to go). I guess the older we get the harder it is to just starve it off, but this is the least successful I've ever been on a diet. Hell, I've done far better every time on my first week of Weight Watchers (the twenty times I've had a first week!). I haven't put as much as a fingernail of solid food into my mouth. I just don't get it!

Ok, enough complaining. The good news is I am finally able to sleep most of the night with my stomach on empty. I think that was the hardest thing about the shakes!

Congratulations to everyone. I can't wait for my turn Wednesday.

Hey Doer ^^ I'm sorry you didn't lose what you expected. It's definitely disappointing to try your best and not see the results you want. But, I think you hit the nail on the head when you mentioned the word "starve". Your body probably went into starvation mode and that made losing all the more harder.

Btw, the nerves are getting the best of me as well. It's natural from what I see/hear here. This is a pretty big deal after all. Just hang in there, Wednesday will be here and gone soon enough :rolleyes2:

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck!

Thanks!! I will be busy today visiting a friend in NY with very serious cancer - that will certainly put the focus on something bigger than me - oops, I didn't even mean to be punny! I'm going to buy some liquid Protein stuff for the few clear days before Wednesday, too.

I'm sure everyone here has gone through some version of what I'm feeling; I've dieted a million times and be so very successful, only to eventually gain most of it (and sometimes all of it) back again. I want so much to believe that this time I'll be able to sustain it. Not for a year or two, but until I'm a skinny old lady. I so desperately want to do all the fun things I've been avoiding in my fat skin! I think in the final minutes, I'm afraid to believe because, like my nickname says, I'm a Doer, not a Hoper. Ok, enough!

Hi All!

I thought I posted this earlier this morning, but I came back and couldn't find it! ha! There are a couple of other December threads though, maybe it's in there - so if you see this twice, please forgive me :rolleyes2:

I was banded yesterday, December 11, and wanted to share a little bit about my experience since reading those of others' helped me quite a bit!

The surgery itself went great, no complications that I am aware of - yahoo!

I did have a strange reaction to the anesthesia though - when I first started to wake up, I felt really panicky and like I wanted to rip all the "stuff" they had me hooked up to off and run the heck out of there! As I slowly became more aware, that feeling subsided, but it took about 2 hours before I felt more calm. I really wasn't expecting that, but the nurses said it does happen as a result of anesthesia on occasion.

The pain, from the very beginning, has been very manageable. I didn't take any pain meds at the hospital other than what they gave me right after surgery via IV, but I did need some last night as it did get stronger. Like I said though, it has never been excruciating, and this morning I was able to get up and walk around quite a bit which helped with the pain immensely!

I tried walking yesterday and last night, but every time I got up I was hit with a wave of nausea so I didn't really do much but sit or lay in bed yesterday. The nausea is basically gone today though which is a huge relief.

So far I have not had any real gas pains - more just like some pressure which at times has been a little uncomfortable but not to the extent at which I've read most people have. I guess that could still happen, though.

All in all I feel pretty darn good for the day after surgery. I wish everyone who has yet to be banded (and those recovering, too!) the best of luck!

That's great news - glad you're doing so well. That's pretty much what I expect for me; I usually adapt pretty well and when my gallbladder was removed I was up and out within two days.

Hope to hear more good news from everyone!

I had my preop physical at day 10 of my liquid diet and only lost 7 pounds. I was disappointed, too, but on surgery day I had lost almost 14.

My surgery is Wednesday the 16th, and I'm a little more anxious than I had thought I would be. I went for a pre-op physical yesterday, as required by my hospital, and in the 8 days that I've eaten nothing but Optifast shakes, I have somehow lost only 5 pounds. I'm disappointed - I know how stupid that is, but I am. I had this idea that I'd take off like 10 or 15 pounds in the two weeks before surgery, and I've done everything I have committed to do, but only lost five (with four days to go). I guess the older we get the harder it is to just starve it off, but this is the least successful I've ever been on a diet. Hell, I've done far better every time on my first week of Weight Watchers (the twenty times I've had a first week!). I haven't put as much as a fingernail of solid food into my mouth. I just don't get it!

Ok, enough complaining. The good news is I am finally able to sleep most of the night with my stomach on empty. I think that was the hardest thing about the shakes!

Congratulations to everyone. I can't wait for my turn Wednesday.

Whew - thanks! I just drank my "breakfast" and needed a pick me up!

Hey Doer-

Don't feel bad you've only lost 5 pounds on the two week liquid Optifast diet. I too, have followed it religiously, and am only down 4 after following it for 8 days. I was almost on the verge of a total binge when I weighed in and realized that all this work and all I got was a lousy four pounds. :mad2: I have 8 more days to go, but it is very depressing! Especially since even the doctor's office said I could expect a 10-12 pound weight loss. I don't think age has anything to do with it though-I'm only 30! We just have to hang in there and keep telling ourselves that it's still 4-5 pounds we're never going to put back on. And as long as the scale is moving in the right direction, it's progress. Easier said than done, but that's what I keep telling myself. :thumbup:

Thanks, Abby! I don't generally have unrealistic expectations, but eight days of chewing only my TONGUE have gotten to me!! I bet you're as excited for your surgery as I am. I'm a teacher, too, everybody, but I'm hoping to be back at school for two days before the holiday break - fingers crossed. My surgery was supposed to be later, also, but my doctor had some kind of drama with his practice and left it - he couldn't do the surgery and we scuttled to find another doctor in a hurray. The new guy comes highly recommended, so no worries there.

Hey Doer,

My band date is the 16th also. It is good to see someone who will be right on track with me. My doctor only put me on the liquid diet for 7 days. I was given the option of 3-4 slimfast shakes (before the recall) or 3-4 carnation sugar free instant breakfasts. I chose the carnation since it is cheaper and it tastes pretty good being mixed with the skim milk. Of course, all of the Water and sugar free drinks I want. I have really been drinking alot of water to keep hydrated as well as some crystal light. I haven't even weighed myself since beginning the pre op diet and I don't plan to until surgery day. I don't have to be at the hospital until 1pm so I will just weigh myself at the gym when I go for a walk (maybe). It would be really depressing for me to see that I haven't lost any weight. However, I have not been very active either. I am trying to change that though. I know that all of this working together will give me the results that I desire. My new friend, the band, will help me out tremendously. I have seen on this sight that some people even name their bands, making it more personal. I have decided to name my band Steph-after my deceased sister. We will always be close. Keep in touch and we will run this race together!:thumbup::thumbup:

Thanks for all who have posted . . . makes me feel good that I am not alone in this journey! I saw my surgeon yesterday and we've scheduled a DECEMBER 29 surgery date!!! I'm so happy about this and believe this is what's right for me. I want to be part of the December 2009 Bandster group and will join in the social area too.

Your input, views, information, and support--is so good for me as this process begins. . . .

As far as pre-op diet, just Protein Shakes for ten days prior to surgery.

Thanks to all and I look forward to sharing and hearing from you all.:thumbup:

weight.png

Edited by Barb119

My day is coming too! I'm on the 16th. I have a lot of anxiety (by nature any way) but right now I am very anxious. Can't wait for it to just be over! I will probably regret saying that. I have gotten used to the hunger. I chew a lot of sugar free gum. Did I mention that I had to quit smoking too? Wed., the date of my surgery it will be 5 weeks since my last cig!! My doctor required that I quit.

Welcome to all the newcomers and good luck everyone having surgery this week. Keep us posted!!!

We really are in it together - that's pretty exciting! And we got through another day.

I just had some sugar free Jello, although I can't really call that something to chew on!

sleep tight!

I went for a pre-op physical yesterday, as required by my hospital, and in the 8 days that I've eaten nothing but Optifast shakes, I have somehow lost only 5 pounds. I'm disappointed - I know how stupid that is, but I am. I had this idea that I'd take off like 10 or 15 pounds in the two weeks before surgery, and I've done everything I have committed to do, but only lost five (with four days to go). I guess the older we get the harder it is to just starve it off, but this is the least successful I've ever been on a diet. Hell, I've done far better every time on my first week of Weight Watchers (the twenty times I've had a first week!). I haven't put as much as a fingernail of solid food into my mouth. I just don't get it!

OMG, ME TOO!!!

So, I had a really really bad day yesterday. Like ---- this close to saying "to hell w/all of it!"

The story....

So yesterday I see the internal medicine doc. He says, "you have gallstones and will most likely have to be removed and the xrays show a small vertabrae fracture in the middle of your back due to the weight." Surprise! I freaked out. I thought I was just over weight. I don't have diabetes, sleep apnea...no other symptoms but I weighed almost 300 lbs so I'm fine...yeah right. I've been just fooling myself this whole time that my terrible eatting habits wasn't going to bite me in the arse. I was so angry and upset with myself.

Next, off to the surgeon. They weigh me, I only lost 5 lbs. OMG!! That's it! My scale at home said I've lost 8. Surgeon comes into the office livid at me because of it. He said that if I don't lose anymore weight he's not doing the surgery. I have to come in the day before my surgery, the 21st to weigh in and then he will decide if he's still doing it. I started bawling! Then he says, if he does the surgery he's going to HAVE to take out my gall bladder & fix the hernia. OMG, I'm a mess. He keeps telling me that I have to lose more weight. I keep telling him I'm doing everything I"m supposed, heck I'm not even doing the broth so that I'm not saturated with salts. And he says I should have been working on losing weight even before the 2 week liquid diet. And I'm like, I tried but really....I obviously am obese for a reason. If I could lose weight that easily then why am I in his office. Then he told me don't cheat on the liquid diet and I'm just flipping out because I am not! Not one bit. I actually spit out a piece of gum the other day after biting down once when I realized it was not SF.

Ok, I'm done whining. I just had a really really bad day with the news about how I've failed my body. This is a beautiful machine we were given and I've done and screwed it up and now there is actual "proof". Then to have the surgeon threaten me with not doing the surgery if I don't drop more weight. I don't know what else I"m supposed to be doing. I'm just so frustrated....and HUNGRY!

Oy vey. Chant with me..."this is worth it! This is worth it! This is worth it!"

Edited by Sweet Pete