Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December Bandsters 2009

This is really exciting!... It feels more and more 'real' as friends and fellow bandsters start on pre-op diets and more and more people join the thread! I don't know how often you all want to see the updated list - is every 2 or 3 days okay, or would you like to see it more frequently (just let me know)? We're at about 54 people (as of this moment) with 22 bandsters in the first week alone. 6 people are waiting for their surgery dates to be confirmed - that I'm aware of (congrats tbird!) and, not counting the holiday - Christmas Eve and Christmas - December 16th, 29th, 30th and 31st are the only days that someone isn't scheduled for surgery.

Wow, huh? Congratulations to everyone!

Thank you so much Karyna!! I can't believe how many ppl are on here and being banded in Dec, that is great! I am fine with seeing the list whenever you have time to do it, you have taken on a big responsibility by keeping track and posting. That is greatly appreciated & thank you :w00t:

I'm so happy for everyone getting their bands in December! I can't wait until December 7th to change my life forever! As most people have said, "Why didn't I think of this sooner??" =)

I'm not quite in the exact same situation (my surgery date is not until 12/17, but I do have my parents arriving one week after (on 12/23) and I don't see them often and they do love food and wine. I've just decided this is more important! I am the type of person who can do ANYTHING for 2-4 weeks, though. I would just recommend focusing on family (not food) over this holiday and keeping yourself busy as much as possible. Drink a lot of Water, play cards, take pictures, show photo albums, etc... anything but handle food. I think its a good idea to order the meal from a grocery store like you mentioned. As for my Christmas meal (just one week after surgery), I'm planning on cooking (or directing the cooking). I am in such a good place right now as far as knowing this surgery is the most important thing to me that I know I don't care about the food this holiday season. I'm gonna stock up on post-surgery friendly stuff (protein shakes, Protein Shots, liquids, and mushies) and I really don't care what anyone else eats. Its MY time to do what I NEED!!! :redface:
hi I wll be banded on 12/18/09 good luck...keep me posted /i'm sure I will be on ..the night before..trying to get last me answers. :smile2:

I will be banded on December 30th!!!!! Ahh! I'm so excited!!!!! And I'm also surprised that my surgeon does not have me on a pre op diet, except for liquids the night before. Is anybody else not having to do a pre op diet?

This IS awesome!!! It makes the journey soooo much better to do it with someone. Thanks again to KarynA and every 2-3 days is fine by me. Whenever you can do it. It's awfully nice of you to keep it up. Hugs to you!!!

Welcome to all newcomers and "come join the pary"!! Congrats Tbird and how come you get to go before me...lol I'm not even being banded until the 22nd but it's all because I had to quit smoking. One full week and no smokes. Yeah me!!! I know I keep updating you every day that goes by but it's one more day I'm smoke free and makes me accountable too...lol

Take care and keep posting. We'll make this the longest darn thread EVER!!!

illuminationlady :redface:

Guest austrolatrishy

My surgery is scheduled for December 2nd. I am so excited but also nervous at the same time. I have been doing well on the liquid diet - drinking smoothie King gladiator shakes 2x a day - blended with strawberry and pineapple. Delish!

Well Everyone, looks like I may be banded in December after all. I can hardly believe it. I went to a seminar on Nov 10 with a copy of all of my medical records. I was initially scheduled for a consultation on 12/01/09 but got a call today that I have been approved. :redface::hurray::smile2: I now have to go in on 11/19/09. My psych eval was just completed today. I am sooo excited yet nervous at the same time. I am soooooooo ready to get on with this journey. I just thank God for this site and all of the support.

Guest austrolatrishy

Anyone nervous about the anesthesia? I am a little freaked out myself...

Hi everyone! December 2nd is my surgery day as I posted recently. Had consults with dietician and pschologist and starting my 2 week pre-op diet tomorrow morning. Medifast shakes & bars, yikes! 900 calories a day will be quite a challenge, but a person can do anything for 2 weeks, right? Lol. Don't think I'll need it cuz I'm pretty determined but wish me luck! Will keep you posted...

I will be banded on December 30th!!!!! Ahh! I'm so excited!!!!! And I'm also surprised that my surgeon does not have me on a pre op diet, except for liquids the night before. Is anybody else not having to do a pre op diet?

I don't have to do a pre op diet either. And, my surgeon has a very short post op diet as well. She wants you on solids within one week after surgery. Her paperwork actually emphasizes that you MUST start eating solid foods for the band to work. After reading on here about all the restrictions everyone else has, it seems like my doctor is way out there on this. But, she is supposedly the best bariatric surgeon in my area and a 'center of excellence' so I'm gonna trust her. This reminds me that I better really start practicing chewing, though. LOL

Anyone nervous about the anesthesia? I am a little freaked out myself...

I am very nervous about the anesthesia. I had a bad experience once.

I am used to my EAS protien powder and like it. I thought about just sticking with that one. I might order some of the suggested Optifast. Anyone tried this one?

I'm on the optifast illuminationlady. The flavours I have available are: chocolate (Yum), strawberry (Ok), vanilla (Ok), coffee (Horrible, I actually felt like vomiting), chicken Soup (YUM!) and Hearty Veg Soup (Ok).

Hope this helps! Great job on the non-smoking :redface:

Hi December members. My surgery date is Dec. 2nd here in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. Just 17 days before my birthday...Happy Birthday to me, I figure. I start my 2 week pre-op diet around the 18th of Nov. On the low end of the BMI range with 36 but looking forward to seeing a new me. I'll be sure to check in and see how all us December members are doing. Good luck, everyone! Lyn

Hi Lyn! I'm also on the low end of the BMI with 35. It will be intresting to follow each other. My surgery is on the 3rd and it's 26 days before my birthday as well. I'm self pay and haved moved through the system very fast! I went to a seminar on November 4th and had a consult on November 9th. They scheduled the surgery for December 3rd. I still have a pre-op appointment for 11/23.

I just found out today that I have a tentative date of December 7th but will have to move it to the 14th do to the amount of sick time that i have. How long are you all planning on taking off of work for and what kind of work do you do? The closer i get to the reality of having the surgery the more questions pop up, anyone have a list of the questions they asked there surgion. I wish everyone the best of luck and we will have to keep tight and keep eachother encouraged :redface:

Hey J Mae,

I work in the radio business and I have a few vacation days, a personal day, and a little bit of overtime left to take off my week. I'm hoping it goes quickly!! I've been scheduled for December 7th! :smile2: As far as questions go, the only one I have a problem with and haven't asked yet is what to do about birth control...not sure if I have to quit taking it before and after and when to start back. Best of luck to you and take care!