Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December Bandsters 2009

I also started this process 3 yrs ago, however, my insurance at the time denied me. Although, I think by having that long gap, I am more than ready this time around! I can't wait!!

I didn't have to wait 3 years, only 1 year, but I have to say that I do not regret the time I spent in this process. I have really struggled this year trying to get my head around all of this. I mean I KNOW it is what I need, but it has taken me some time to really embrace it and feel ready and even excited for it. In hindsite, I am grateful for the wait even though I didn't feel that way while in the process. :w00t:

I'm scheduled for December 11th. I know I'm late to the thread, but I'd like to keep up with everyone else. My doc has me on a liquid diet 7 days before surgery. YIPEE!! It's taken me 6+ months to get to this point - jumped thru all of the insurance hoops :w00t:. Looking forward to keeping in touch.

Thanks KarynA. for putting together the December list.

I'm wondering what you all are planning to do for Thanksgiving; especially those of us who are stuck on the liquid diet. I'm leaning towards ordering the meal from a good grocery store.

Any advice out there for enduring the Optifast diet for 2 weeks (dec. 2 banding-Yipee!). I'm pretty nervous about it. I pick up the stuff (300 bucks) tomorrow and begin on Wednesday.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Ha ha, the sugar free syrups are something I kind of stumbled on and I asked my doctor's RN about if it was Ok to use them and she said that they were. I KNOW I will need more variety in my Protein Shakes than what's out there. These are syrups like what I always see to add to coffee for flavor. The sugar free ones are REALLY good and they have no carbs or ANYTHING. I think the only thing that they have is about 10 mg of sodium per tablespoon. I use caramel in with my vanilla shakes and my chocolate shakes. I also have chocolate that's really good for some of the shakes that I have that leave a weird aftertaste. Yesterday I ordered 3 more flavors: pineapple, lime and cookie dough (to get me through the holidays, ha ha). They're not TOO bad in price. I found the chocolate one at Walmart if anyone wants to try them. Here's the link to their website. They have something like 50 flavors (I just counted...) Anyway, if you're interested, here's their link and I'll let you know how that other 3 flavors I ordered turn out!

DaVinci Gourmet Sugar Free Flavored Syrups

Any advice out there for enduring the Optifast diet for 2 weeks (dec. 2 banding-Yipee!). I'm pretty nervous about it. I pick up the stuff (300 bucks) tomorrow and begin on Wednesday.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

I'm not quite in the exact same situation (my surgery date is not until 12/17, but I do have my parents arriving one week after (on 12/23) and I don't see them often and they do love food and wine. I've just decided this is more important! I am the type of person who can do ANYTHING for 2-4 weeks, though. I would just recommend focusing on family (not food) over this holiday and keeping yourself busy as much as possible. Drink a lot of Water, play cards, take pictures, show photo albums, etc... anything but handle food. I think its a good idea to order the meal from a grocery store like you mentioned. As for my Christmas meal (just one week after surgery), I'm planning on cooking (or directing the cooking). I am in such a good place right now as far as knowing this surgery is the most important thing to me that I know I don't care about the food this holiday season. I'm gonna stock up on post-surgery friendly stuff (protein shakes, Protein shots, liquids, and mushies) and I really don't care what anyone else eats. Its MY time to do what I NEED!!! :w00t:

Do you have a three week pre-op diet?

Sure do! The lady at the surgery told me that when it all began they made patients do 6 week liquid diet, but since have found people can only handle 3 weeks. Thank god, 6 weeks of Optifast shakes would kill me.

The chocolate tastes not too bad. I'm really looking forward to my bowl of vegies tonight.

Ha ha, the sugar free syrups are something I kind of stumbled on and I asked my doctor's RN about if it was Ok to use them and she said that they were. I KNOW I will need more variety in my Protein shakes than what's out there. These are syrups like what I always see to add to coffee for flavor. The sugar free ones are REALLY good and they have no carbs or ANYTHING. I think the only thing that they have is about 10 mg of sodium per tablespoon. I use caramel in with my vanilla shakes and my chocolate shakes. I also have chocolate that's really good for some of the shakes that I have that leave a weird aftertaste. Yesterday I ordered 3 more flavors: pineapple, lime and cookie dough (to get me through the holidays, ha ha). They're not TOO bad in price. I found the chocolate one at Walmart if anyone wants to try them. Here's the link to their website. They have something like 50 flavors (I just counted...) Anyway, if you're interested, here's their link and I'll let you know how that other 3 flavors I ordered turn out!

DaVinci Gourmet Sugar Free Flavored Syrups

I use these sugar free syrups to make icees. i have a shaved ice maker and then I pour these sugar free syrups over them and sometimes add fat free Creamer (like french vanilla) to them. they are yummy and all sugar free and fat free except for the creamer. I already have my shaved ice maker out and some syrups bought.

Thank you for the flavoring ideas! I know I'll never survive 2 weeks on Opti-fast chocolate shakes! And the Walden Farms brand that was suggested by the doc's office SUCKS! Horrible aftertaste! Can't wait to get the other kind.

Thanks for the answer on the flavored syrups and the shaved ice idea is also a great one. I love to chew ice. What appliance does this shaved ice thing? Let me know.

My doctor's office only requires you lose 10 lbs. by surgery date. He does, however, require we buy a specific shake after surgery. I am used to my EAS protien powder and like it. I thought about just sticking with that one. I might order some of the suggested Optifast. Anyone tried this one?

Thanksgiving presents all kinds of problems for me. I'm not required to do the liquid diet and can eat. I thought about getting out my toddler's plates and utensils and using those. I want to go back to practicing for after the surgery. I kind of laid off of the practicing while I had to quit smoking. Hey! One week today!!! Yeah for me! Anyway, I was practicing portions, chewing, timing, not drinking before, during, and after meals. Then I had to quit. But I need to go back to that.

By the way, the book I'm reading on LB surgery is excellent. I mention it in a previous thread when I was starting the book. Now I'm about finished and it is a must read for all of us. If you can't find the name PM me and I'll give it to you again.

Welcome newcomers!!!

I am set for December 22nd. Right before Christmas seems crazy but I am working on my teacher certification and that will give me two full weeks of not driving an hour to school! I can't wait for my surgery...it ranks right up there with my wedding day, the day my girls were born, college graduation and buying a house!!

I am set for December 22nd. Right before Christmas seems crazy but I am working on my teacher certification and that will give me two full weeks of not driving an hour to school! I can't wait for my surgery...it ranks right up there with my wedding day, the day my girls were born, college graduation and buying a house!!

Finally someone else is set for the 22nd also!! Me too!! We can be band buddies. It seems so far away and yet it will be here before we know it!

I think infants get to eat more than 600 calories a day!!! If I live through that, I can do it!

Hi all you Dec. bandsters. I would like to join if possible. My date with Dr. Ortiz in Mexico is Dec. 2. I am a male and 59 with a BMI of 43. I sjust started my pre-op and I am using Premier Protein shakes but i know they will get old fast any good shakes that can be bought in Canada? Thanks

:w00t:

Goodness Gracious GREAT BALLS OF FIRE!

I do NOT reccomend anyone view the lap-band surgery on you tube. I have a pretty strong stomach, large too, heh heh, but boy am i queasy. Whew!

I had to stop mid-video. Maybe I'll watch after the surgery.

Anywho, how long are you all taking off from work? I posted a thread a few days ago and have gotten very mixed reviews, some back at work less than a week, some out much longer and glad they waited. So, what are your plans?