Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting banded very soon

Hi everyone! My name is Lisa and I live in Illinois. I am getting banded on the 28th of Oct. I can't wait for my "new" life but I also feel like I am giving up my best friend - food. I saw my surgeon for my pre-op yesterday and he was kinda discouraging. He told me how the band was the easiest of the WLS to cheat with and how he has had patients not lose weight. He stressed how it was all about the foods and liquids that I put in my mouth. I walked out of there worrying that I might be one of his patients that are not sucessful - not that I don't realize that I DO have to change the kind of foods that I eat. Just kinda bummed. :blushing:

Lisa

Hi, Lisa, welcome. I think many of us had that same fear as you about not being a success. Part of me thinks the doc was being very negative, yet he was telling the truth. The band is a tool that helps but we have to do the work. Most likely you will be a success. Stay active here on LBT, we are a wonderful support system and spirit picker upper.

Mimi

Hi Lisa. Congrats on your upcoming surgery! Only 4 days away!! I'm sure you are nervous and excited all at the same time.

I was definitely one of the people who, like you, was completely unconvinced that I would be successful with gastric band (I have Realize C band, not lapband). I had never been successful with any other type of weight loss (I wasn't even really a yo yo dieter. A few times - maybe twice - I lost and then gained more than I lost, but primarily I just kept steadily gaining over the years until I found myself at 286 pounds, my highest weight ever). Although I'm really far from my goal, I feel that I have been successful so far! If I can do it, I really think anyone can do it.

Before I got banded, I felt sort of the same as you as far as giving up my best friend, food. And before my pre-op diet I went out for "one last foray with my bff". Looking back now, it seems so silly because, in actuality, I haven't given up anything that I really like to eat! I do give myself a treat now and again (I'm one of the bandsters with a sweet tooth) - usually ice cream. The other day, at my work, someone had brought in a halloween cake. I got there after it was cut, but when I got there someone had cut it into relatively small pieces on a plate. I chose the smallest piece (it was probably 1x2 inches....not too big, I ate it in 2 bites) and I was satisfied!! Before I would have probably eaten 3 big pieces with ice cream on top. You can eat what you like (although you can't eat ice cream all day everyday because it will just pass right through your band), but you will be able to eat small portions! Counting calories (I use fitday.com) is really helpful and you can start now, before youre banded to see what you are actually eating.

Im sorry that your surgeon was negative - thats the last thing you need before you are about to have a surgery. Perhaps, it was just his way of being realistic or trying to motivate you to do great with the band! I think if you have the mindset that you won't fail and you WILL succeed (and there is no other option) then you will do great!

Good luck and keep us posted on how your surgery goes!