Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any January 2010 Bandsters????

I will be self-pay as well. I am going to sit in on a support meeting and then if I am happy with what I hear, I guess my next step will be to set up a consult with the doctor. I have NO CLUE how long the process will take after that. I may end up in a Feb thread. I am having a hard time finding someone on this board who used the doc I am thinking of going with.:drool:

Well, my insurance said when they got the paperwork it would take them 45 days to make a determination. I waited 50 and couldn't stand it any longer. I had my husband call them and ask what the reason for denial was, and to my surprise, they told him that I was covered completely. Their definition of "completely" means I have one full year from the date of agreement to have the procedure done. Evidently, from their paperwork, I was approved in August. I just got word of that last week. Apparently it only took them 2 weeks to approve it.

As far as testing, I did the psych eval, and the nutritionist meetings. That's been it!!

:drool::thumbup::scared2::thumbup::laugh::thumbup::laugh::thumbup::woot::thumbup::w00t:

I live in the Cayman Islands and there is no one here in this specialty. So it is travel for me any way you go and therefore I will go back to Mexico for anything unusal or for a fill I will go to a fill centre in Texas or Florida.

Count me in on the January bandsters thread. let's try and keep this thing going! Since I have been scheduled for January it just seems like I am eatting more and more. I think it's because I am scared that I won't be able to eat my favorite foods like this after banding. If I keep eatting like this I will probably gain 20lbs or so before January, I have got to stop!!! Are any of you having this problem?

Hope everyone here has a great day.:thumbup:

I will say I am very aware of what I'm eating now. I see my surgeon in the morning and hope to get my exact date. I am noticing what the kids are eating more and more too. I'm really hoping to not put on any more weight, and also terrified to lose any. I'm afraid that the insurance company will decide I don't need the procedure if I lose it on my own.

Hey everyone. Just thought I would check in and see how all the January bandsters are doing? I have been reading on here and noticed a few people are considering doing the sleeve instead of the band. I think I will read up on it and ask my doctor a few questions about it when I see him next Wednesday. He didn't even mention it to me at my first meeting or the seminar before that so I'm not sure he does them or not. Will let you know what I find out.

Hope everyone is having a good day and have a safe and happy week-end.:thumbup:

I asked my surgeon about the difference between lap band and sleeve and he said "none". I'd go with whatever your surgeon is most familiar with. I'm now at the beginning of "wait" mode to see if I get insurance approval. If I don't, I'll self-pay, but I'm pretty sure they'll cover it. I really feel for the peeps who have to jump through endless hoops -- a zillion tests, months of dieting, et. ect. before they can get approval. I'm so ready to do this. In my experience there is no such thing as a stable weight. You're either dieting and it's going down sooooo slowly, or you're not dieting which means you are either slowly or quickly putting on weight. Anyone else like that??

I don't have my date yet, but it will be in January 10. I could have it in December, but will have to have neck surger next year so it makes sense to wait a month an meet my deductible and not have to pay anything for the next surgery. Do you have a date set? I have read some wonderful blogs that I found through this site. I'm looking forward to the journey and keeping up with your progress. Good luck.

Tessie:thumbup:

Just an update. Signed my "consent" paperwork today. January 14 it is. :)

I don't have my date yet, but it will be in January 10. I could have it in December, but will have to have neck surger next year so it makes sense to wait a month an meet my deductible and not have to pay anything for the next surgery. Do you have a date set? I have read some wonderful blogs that I found through this site. I'm looking forward to the journey and keeping up with your progress. Good luck.

Tessie:thumbup:

Hi Tessie- Your comment "have to have neck surgery" struck me. I have rheumatoid arthritis and after two months of excrutiating pain in my neck/shoulder/arm my doc took X rays and is sending me to a neurosurgeon for an MRI because I might need neck surgery -- something about degeneration in the cervical spine. This scares the crap out of me as evidently it's a very difficult surgery and can take a year to recover. So...wondered what neck surgery would be having...:)

I also have bcbs but of nc I am also hoping to have my surgery in jan 2010. i have my ultra sound of the gallbladder and my cardiac appt left and then meet with the surgeon. hope to stay in touch

I can't believe it, but I have a date January 14, 2010. Wow, now I really have to be good during the holidays so I can continue to lose weight and shrink my liver. All I have left is Pshyc. eval, nutrition course and a pre surgery test ( I don't know what that is). I have really been questioning this decision for a month I even went off my diet because I thought I didn't want to do it. I talked to friends and my therepist and they encouraged me, I want to like to have my picture taken again. I have been hiding behind this weight for too long, I am turning 34 next week and I don't want to wait any longer for my life to change, it's time I took control and changed it myself. I am scared, but very excited!:tongue2:

I am most likely a Jan bander. I got my approval today and was hoping upon hoping I would be able to get this all done by end of NOV and now knowing that getting my Upper GI series and final doctor ok will prob take 2 weeks. I am bummed, because I can't get surgury in DEC due to travel. Add me to the group. Congrats to all ye approved =).

Are you kidding me?? he said NONE?? IF he said there is no difference then you need a better surgeon. I am not a doc and I KNOW there are serious differences.... Like a big one. the Sleeve actually permanantly alters your stomache. The lapbad is completely reversable and non-evasive. If you have to ask that question and he told you that... you need to do more research.

I asked my surgeon about the difference between LAP-BAND® and sleeve and he said "none". I'd go with whatever your surgeon is most familiar with. I'm now at the beginning of "wait" mode to see if I get insurance approval. If I don't, I'll self-pay, but I'm pretty sure they'll cover it. I really feel for the peeps who have to jump through endless hoops -- a zillion tests, months of dieting, et. ect. before they can get approval. I'm so ready to do this. In my experience there is no such thing as a stable weight. You're either dieting and it's going down sooooo slowly, or you're not dieting which means you are either slowly or quickly putting on weight. Anyone else like that??

I can't believe it, but I have a date January 14, 2010. :tongue2:

Awesome! We have the same date!!!