Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! What am I doing wrong?

Okay I had my surgery on 8/17, got my first fill on 9/15 2cc and ever since then every type of meat I eat except for fish gets stuck! Most of the time I suffer for at least 30 minutes until it goes down but these past couple of days I have had to get it back up (sorry don't know the right term for this). I don't know what to do as I have gone back to mushie stuff because I'm afraid to eat. Anyone else experience this and what would you recommend I do? Thanks guys you are the best.

Sounds like you are a tad too tight.

Start by going back to liquids for a few days. If you PB (productive burp...bring your food back up) that causes swelling around your band and the next time you eat, you PB again, more swelling...you get the picture. Give your band a rest with liquids for at least 24 hours, more if you can stand it, then slowly add back your mushies, then soft foods. If you do fine, try well-chewed and well-lubed (some kind of sauce) meat and see how it goes. You may adjust fine, just take it very slow and as you lose weight, your band will loosen a bit and you will prgressively improve. If this sounds like a plan, go for it.

If you think there is no way meat will work, go ahead and call your doc and schedule a small unfill. My first fill was 2cc and I could drink fine, but even mushies got stuck. Forget meats! So I had .4cc taken out and have been fine since. Even that tiny amount can make a big difference.

Since it's been a month like this...maybe better go ahead and call for an unfill. Until then, keep your diet liquid or at least very soft. Avoid those PB's at all costs!!!

Good luck! Let us know how it goes, okay?

Thanks Kathy, I will try that, I know I have to slow down when I eat as I have always been a really fast eater and chew chew chew, which I think I am, it seems like when it gets stuck I have to think if I didn't chew it enough. But I definately will go back to liquids since I have no problems with that and see how it goes, I am supposed to go back to the dr on the 21st so I will see how it goes for one more week. Thanks again.

I am supposed to go back to the dr on the 21st so I will see how it goes for one more week. Thanks again.

Good. Go liquid, then slowly add your mushies and be sure to try some meat before you go back. If you give your band a rest, make sure the swelling is down, and still have trouble with meat, an unfill is in order. You should be able to get your hard protiens in, and not rely on a soft diet. It's not eating the Bandster way! Good for you. Keep us posted!

Guest j. lynn

You're too tight...course...your doc also filled you too soon...didn't wait the full 6 weeks.

jayme

yup, sounds like you are too tight. You may find that you have difficulties with meat-- roasted beef and chicken can be really difficult for me, if I'm not careful. Ground meats are easier for me. You might try something with the consistancy of taco meat, and always, make sure you have some good sauce handy.

Just make sure that you are not using really high calorie stuff--some BBQ Sauce has almost 100 calories per serving! Contrast this with the la victoria brand taco sause with 5 calories and no added sugar!

I just had the same problem...I was filled to 2.5 on Sept 19th and couldn't even eat fish. So I went monday 10/10 for a little unfill, now I am at 2.2 and wow what a differnce. I think I am good for now....So yes go to the doctor and get a little out. I am know you will be much happier with it.

I'm another one who had a lot of problems learning to eat more slowly. One thing that helped me was to start off by cutting bites half as large as I thought they should be. Sometimes I'd end up really just nibbling my meal, but it would go down that way.

Take it slow! :D