Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

intro from Newfoundland

Hi all!

My name is Lisa and I live in Western Newfoundland, Canada. I weigh 316 pounds and I should weigh around 180 (I am 5' 10" with a massive frame).

I am depressed, need knee surgery, can't hike, can't bike, can't work my Search and Rescue dog and have given up my certified status on the team, can't run, can barely walk, have a hard time sleeping, have sleep apnea, and various other health issues, high cholesterol being one of them.

I over-eat at every meal (to the point of uncomfortableness), binge eat at night. I eat prior to attending events where I will be expected to eat in front of people in order to curb my appetite so that I don't embarrass myself. I hide my eating habits from everyone, including my husband. I am currently in therapy and in consultation with a dietitian.

In the past I was very active, fit and healthy. Hiker, camper, backpacking, cross-country skier, horseback rider, etc. I maintained a weight of appx 175-190. I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder (not severely affected) and was put on a medication called Seroquel. I gained a massive amount of weight and since have not been able to get it off. I have tried and tried and tried, and every time I seem to do well for a week or so and then...off the wagon of healthy eating. My family doesn't make things easier for me--I have a picky eater for a husband and two picky sons. I get so frustrated with them because they absolutely will not eat foods included in a healthy diet. Strictly white-bread, sugary Desserts, preprocessed boxed foods, God forbid a vegetable ever crosses their lips. Not an excuse, but jeez.

I have approached my doctor about bariatric surgery. He agrees (after years of seeing my struggle and struggle with health issues associated with my weight) that it is something we should look at seriously.

So here I am. Desperate and feeling like I am at rock bottom. More than anything I want to hike again, backpack again, heck even get in and out of a car in comfort again would be nice. I hate that I am even considering this but I feel like I am going to die if I don't.:unsure:

Lisa G

Newfoundland, Canada

Don't feel bad Lisa, you'll find alot of us who feel the same way u do. I too am 5'10''-5'11", and i'm @ 290. I have joint pains, knee problems, gurd ect... I too should be @ 170-180lbs. After going to the seminars and researching and talking to people who have had the band, I know this is the best thing I could ever do for me. Like u I have a family and get caught up with what THEY need and want. Well this is for me, I want to play volly-ball again, go hiking and just shop for cute clothes again.

Good luck and I hope you find what's best for YOU. The seminars, support groups and this sight are the best way to get answers.

I'm currently waiting to see if there is a surgeon on the island here that will do the surgery and provide aftercare. I know that as of last year there was not, but my GP thinks that very recently a surgeon 2 hours away has begun to provide the service. I am keeping my fingers crossed!!!!!

If not, I would have to go to Halifax or Moncton (about 10 hours away including a ferry ride across the Channel) and I think payment/coverage would be more complicated.

I really am at the very beginning of this process.

Well I hope it all goes well, it will all be worth it in the end. I drive about 45 minutes to where my Dr. and hospital are. My Dr. is wonderful and very well know for doing the band, I feel very blessed that all has went smooth for me.

I take it not alot of people get banded in Newfoundland?

Well I hope you do have a new surgeon close by, that would be great. Please let me know how things are going for u, I'll keep u in my thoughts and prayers. :wink2:

I am bipolar too, and I gained a lot of weight, like 70 lbs in one year because of the meds. Likewise, it will not come off. I stopped gaining when I was started on Geodon instead of seroquel or risperdal, so you might want to ask about that option. also, it doesn't make you as sleepy.

I take it not alot of people get banded in Newfoundland?

Well I hope you do have a new surgeon close by, that would be great. Please let me know how things are going for u, I'll keep u in my thoughts and prayers. :cursing:

Thank you for the thoughts and well-wishes. Here in Newfoundland almost everything is pretty remote! We have a huge area (and it's an island) with a very low density of population. I still haven't heard what is going on as to whether I will be able to get the surgery here on the island or will have to travel or even be able to get it at all. I think I will be devastated if I get the news that it's just not available, period.

To A...is that medication the one that carries the risk of the rash that can sometimes be fatal? I haven't heard of that med, but my doctor did mention there was a weight-neutral mood stabilizer that carried that risk, and that if I could not get the weight off in another 6 months he'd like to maybe try it.

Lamictal is the mood stabilizer that comes with risk of rash. I'm on that too, and I've never had any trouble. The Geodon is an atypical antipsychotic. They all have weight and diabetes warnings, but like I said, I stopped gaining on the Geodon.