Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Questions about different complications??

I need to get a better understanding of some of the complications that other people have experienced. I am not sure if I should be worried about what is happening with me right now or not.

What exactly is night coughing, do you cough stuff up, or just wake up coughing?

What does acid reflux feel like?

Does tightness in the chest mean your too tight or could something else be wrong?

If you overeat will you always PB or vomit?

"Night cough" is exactly what it sounds like....a cough at night. Not crazy coughing like with a respiratory infection, just occasional.

Acid reflux will make you sit straight up out a dead sleep. It's a terrible sensation that combines (1) a sudden feeling that you can't breathe, (2) a serious burning in your esophagus, and (this is the worst) (3) liquid composed mostly of stomach acid coming back up from your stomach into your esophagus and the back of your mouth. Persisting acid reflux (nightly) can erode the lining of your esophagus because of all that stomach acid. Bad erosion can cause cell structure damage and that can in turn become cancer. I have a friend who is Stage IV esophageal cancer because he never once told his doctor he had acid reflux nightly. He though it was no big deal. Now, sadly, his life in the in the balance. If you have reflux, you'll know it. DON'T act like it's nothing.

Tightness in your chest probably doesn't mean anything of any portent, especially if you are still fairly recent post-op. But mention it to your doctor on your next visit.

If you overeat, you may not get stuck or PB. You might just feel like you ate three plates at Thanksgiving dinner. If you do that regularly, you could stretch out your pouch. You don't want to do that. You got the band, went through all of this, to not overeat. FOLLOW your eating plan and you will avoid the misery of being too full, or PBing for that reason. Not to say you won't get stuck and PB in the future but that's a different cause.

I had surgery in June, so I don't think the tightness in my chest is related to that. I went to my surgeons office today, but did not get to see him. The PA took some of the saline out, no change at all. So waiting it out a few days. She talked with the other surgeon about what I am experiencing. Said he doen't think its acid reflux, or a slipped band, but I do feel like there is something wrong, just no clue what. It almost feels like I have heart burn, without the reflux, or like something is stuck in my cheast or throat, and like I want to burp, but just can't, and then when I do burp there is some relief. I have taken Gas-X, ant-acids, and some other OTC stuff, to see if it would help.

Things were going very smoothly until I went up to 4 cc's, and the last time I went up to 4 cc's I had problems, but when I am at 3.5 cc's have very, very little restriction. Guess I am just going to wait it out and see if things don't go back to normal. I am really hoping that it's just a little too tight.

Edited by ~Michelle~

I need to get a better understanding of some of the complications that other people have experienced. I am not sure if I should be worried about what is happening with me right now or not.

What exactly is night coughing, do you cough stuff up, or just wake up coughing?

What does acid reflux feel like?

Does tightness in the chest mean your too tight or could something else be wrong?

If you overeat will you always PB or vomit?

Night coughing is Not good. It has happened to me twice and both times when I called the doc's office said to get in quick for an unfill. The coughing stopped a day or two after that. It is dangerous and somehow related to acid reflux.Acid reflux feels different to different people. It can be tightness in throat, acid in your throat, burning, etc. Do an internet search for more thorough results. If you overeat you may just stretch your pouch. But some people vomit if their band is tight. It isn't something we strive to do, but it happens to the best of us. Good luck.