Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I need a kick in the butt

Or something. I've been a horrible lap-band patient - I haven't been to see my surgeon in over a year. Between filing bankruptcy, fighting off anxiety attacks, and having my soon-to-be-ex-husband move out, it seemed like taking care of myself was pretty low on my list of priorities.

I feel sure I need a fill. I'm maintaining well enough, but I can eat a lot and I'm certainly not losing. I'm scared to go back, though - I don't want a lecture from my surgeon, I'm worried that maybe I've done something else to myself like stretch the pouch out, and I don't know if my current insurance (different from what I had when I had the surgery) will cover fills. And I don't have the money to pay for even one out of pocket, not right now.

Is all hope lost? Have I just screwed up my best chance at getting more weight off? I know I'll never be stick-skinny, but I know the band could help me get off more than this - if I haven't messed it up. Help?!

Okay, I always love it when folks ask for a kick in the butt! But I don't think you need one, really. You need some gentle encouragement! What a year- or more!- it's been!

First off, unless you have been seriously abusing your band, you are fine and all you need is a fill. Do you have any problem symptoms that cause concern? You have maintained your weight loss...think how much you would have GAINED going through all that! And that's the beauty of the band. When you are ready, it's waiting right there for you!

Please don't be discouraged about seeing the doc. Buck up and go. Gotta face the music one of these days!

Your assignment for this week (by Friday) is to check with your new insurance to see if fills are covered. That's it. Don't do anything else (unless the spirit moves) but that. How's that?

Chop! Chop! Make that call!!!

and (((((HUGS))))) for all you have been through.

Hugs Bunkie!

just think of what all that stress would have done to you pre-band... I shudder at the thought of how much I would gain in the same circumstances...

Kathy is right. Stay on hold for the 15 - 20 minutes it takes to find out if your insurance covers fills.

1 step at a time. Action is the best medicine.

:]

Thanks, y'all. :) I don't have any other problem symptoms - I've had food come back a couple of times, but only because I didn't chew or ate that one bite too many. And there are times, especially early in the morning, where I can't eat much at all, so I know the band is still there, and if I have restriction, then logically I can't have done anything too bad to it. I just hate feeling like I've crapped up yet another attempt to lose weight, and this is the one that's supposed to work for me. Blech.

What should I ask my insurance re: covering fills? I guess a good starting point would be for me to check whether our policy even covers weight loss surgery. If it doesn't, odds are good it won't cover fills (unless my doc knows of some way to code it so it will be covered). Y'all are right, though - I can't put it off indefinitely, and I'll never get back to losing properly unless I go get help from my doc. Deep breath - just pick up the phone...! :D

First off, no butt kicking for you! I wouldn't even worry about telling your current insurance that you have has WLS. You have a pre-existing condition, and unless you let your coverage laps, you should still be covered.

You've done supper since you haven't had any fills in the last year. You should be proud of what you've done.

And if your sugeon yell at you, simply remind him that he or she works for you, not the other way around

Oh Bunkie,

So very sorry to hear about all your troubles. Life gets rough sometimes, but the good thing about being so low is the only place left to go is up(not weight wise though,LOL).

I am always amazed and in awe of those of you have taken a break from the weight loss for as long as you have and you don't gain and you think you're terrible because you didn't lose. Maintenance is 99% of the battle if you ask me. I have always been able to lose weight, it's been keeping it off that I have trouble with. I had all of the fill removed from my band and after a year I regained every single ounce I had taken off:-[ But as the wise ones who answered you earlier, the band is still there, patiently waiting for you to be ready to go again.

As for your doctor yelling at you, I don't think he will if you haven't gained any of the weight back. Mine had a fit with me, but that was only because I gained back over 120 lbs. I really deserved that yelling at I have to admit. But he's been fine ever since and is pleased that I'm taking the weight off again.

I too had an insurance change at one point, all I did was call the customer service number on the back of my card, explained to them what I needed and they said no problem, and it wasn't, they covered every fill, including the ones with fluro.

I am sending you ((((HUGS))))) and I will pray that things get better for you. In case you haven't realized it yet, if you're considering trying to lose weight again, you are already on the mend.

Cindy