Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Head hunger amongst other things

I need help, advice, anything you guys can give me to combat this. I'm was banded 3.5 weeks ago and am starting regular foods and I just don't know.

For example, I made myself soft scrambled eggs with tuna and even though I'd measured out half a cup, I still ate all of it even though I think I was starting to feel full. And the past 3 days have been horrible because I've been grazing, which I didn't do before the band. And I'm not even hungry most of the time. I'm just eating because I'm eating. But I'm not eating healthy or right. Half the time, I don't even know what to eat, which I'm pretty sure is leading to my grazing.

To top it off, my brother and his family are visiting, so there is junk food/slider foods galore and it is not helping. I mean, I had cake today. Cake! And it wouldn't have been that bad, because I did my best to have a tiny portion, but it was a sponge cake and it got stuck. For over 3 hours. I felt sick, kind of queasy, almost wishing I would throw up and my mouth was watering. It was only after walking for an hour that I felt the pressure behind my sternum decrease. It's been a couple of hours since and it still aches. I'm afraid to drink Water because if I still have food in my pouch, I don't want to stretch it.

So basically, I'm eating too much at a time, but not properly or enough. Also I'm doing my best to adhere to the no-water-for-an-hour-after-eating rule, which means with the grazing I'm hardly getting enough Water. And pre-band I was drinking 1.5 L a day.

I haven't taken such bad care of my body in years! The last time I did, I gained almost 40 lbs, over the course of 8 months. (Freshman 15? I wish.)

It's just making me sad and really frustrated because I know I'm better than this and I have been better than this. But I can't seem to get anything under control and do what I need to do. I'm afraid of stretching my pouch, I'm afraid of getting a kidney infection (which I'm susceptible to) from not getting enough water, I'm afraid that my body is still in starvation mode because I'm not feeding it properly, I'm afraid that I'm going to ruin my opportunity and waste all of the money I spent on this surgery.

You sound scared and frustrated. Here's what I would do...first off get rid of any temptations and stock with only band-friendly/healthy foods. You mentioned that you have company and there are not-so-healthy foods in your house. Try to avoid during the time that your family is there and then ask them to take all leftovers with them.

Next, make sure to plan all your meals. Set your mealtime for yourself, if you can and stick to your plan. If you feel the need to eat something in between meals, make sure it is a healthy choice. I.e....a peeled apple, celery, cukes, any veggies.

One thing that kept me sane was to plan my menu on the previous evening. I was less likely to fall off if I had that plan and healthy food choices at my finger tips.

Could it be that you are not getting enough "hard" Protein? If you eat this first at every meal, there is a tendency for staying full longer.

Wishing you luck!

I wish my brother and his family were visiting only for the day, but they're here on vacation and have been with us since the day I got banded. :S

What were you eating 4 weeks into this? I sometimes can't figure out what I should be eating. I've taken a look at the different threads but somehow I can't make it connect to me. What are a couple of meals like for you?

After yesterday's cake debacle, the area behind my sternum is still aching. Even with drinking only liquids today. When you drink water/juice, do you sip over a period of time or are you able to take a few sips consecutively?

Thank you for taking the time to write to me.

Ok, first of all, you are just fine! You are not bad and you are not doing anything bad! I understand!!! I am a compulsive overeater/binge eater so I completely understand the mental abuse you are putting yourself through so I am telling you it is ok! You are in the adjustment period and what you are experiencing is just what foods will work with the band, and what won't.

I was banded 9/24/08. I learned right away that cake won't work for me. I have the pain - excruciating (sp) pain with foods that I can no longer tolerate. Cake being one of them, and all breads and meats. It is difficult at the beginning and your brain is playing games with you like "why did you do this?" blah blah blah...But PLEASE believe me that over time you will adjust to this new lifestyle. The nurse at the office told me it takes about 6 months to get used to the band, what you can and cannot eat, etc. Well, she was right. It took about 6 months. Don't worry right now about what is healthy and what isn't. The lap band will tell you. Well, ok obviously eating chips or candy over a banana or yogurt isn't a wise choice, but you know that. And if you do eat the wrong food than just say to yourself that it's ok and that you're in a learning period!

You are doing great! You did the right thing getting banded! Do not give up and GIVE YOURSELF A BREAK! Don't beat yourself up! You got the band for yourself to create a different outlook on life and to be more healthy. What a wonderful gift you gave yourself! It takes time, but hang in there because it works. I have lost 60 pounds and am so happy I chose the lap band. It saved my life.

As far as family... Well, I understand that too. I went on vacation this summer back home to see people I haven't seen in ten years. I ate! And I ate! And I wrote for support here in the lap band website, and I got the support I needed from those in this community that understand.

You are on the right path. Keep posting here for support from those of us on the same path.

One more note I'd like to pass on. I have been in counseling for the entire time I have had the lap band and it has been tremendous. I recommend finding a therapist to talk to if your brain keeps tormenting you because therapy is great to help eliminate these disruptive thoughts. All my best to you and have a really wonderful weekend ok! Remember that you are being kind and loving to yourself for once and this is all about being good and healthy to yourself.