Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-Op Diet Question

So my doctor requires a 2 week pre-op diet which I will need to start tomorrow. He did not say much about it other than no more than 15g of carbs per meal and trying to eat high Protein items. I guess I am just wondering what everyone else was eating to shring their liver before getting the band. I need ideas of things that are relativly easy. I am in nursing school and dont have alot of time to prepare meals. I was thinking about Meal Replacement shakes. Does anyone have any good suggestions for these or meal bars I can stick in my packpack that would fit within the above nutrition requirements. Any help on the subject would be much appreciated, and quick, as I have to start this tomorrow.

Thanks!

The Protein Bars will likely blow you out of the Water carb-wise. I also am doing a food-based pre-op diet instead of a shake one. The things I've been eating are:

can of tuna on a salad

salmon

avocados

all the raw veggies I can tolerate

low fat yogurt, preferably greek

salmon with dill/lemon & pepper

chicken

So far my tastiest thing has been chicken Soup. Use low-sodium chicken broth and cook eggplant and zucchini in it. Then throw in a handful of basil, pepper and chicken. You could probably throw in some green Beans too. No noodles, sorry.

No cooked carrots, potatoes or root veggies as they violate the no sugar rule. Raw carrots are ok. No fruit (yeah, this one sucked huge) as it has too much sugar.

If you stick to the diet you will lose a tonne of weight real fast and you won't be hungry after the second day.

I've also been able to eat quite a bit of raw veggies and dip. The dip is made of plain yogurt, dried onion & dill. If you make the dip quite strong you won't notice that it isn't as good as sour cream.

15gm of carb per meal pretty much allows you green vegies (broccoli, green Beans, salad type vegies).

I have a pretty busy lifestyle as well between owning my own business and my work with the Dept. of Corrections so Breakfast for me is usually a Protein Shake. Sometimes I do the same for lunch if I'm in a hurry. If I have time to prepare, I'll do a caesar salad (homemade dressing so I control the carbs in it) with grilled chicken. dinner is usually some type of Protein (meat, fish, poultry) with a big salad and/or green vegie. In between meals, I'll eat a piece of string cheese just to keep the blood sugar balanced.

tuna or chicken salad with a small cut up Tomato makes a good low carb lunch as well. Homemake chicken Soup with vegies (no Pasta or rice in it) is a nice lunch in the fall.

Oh, and watch the Protein Bars. Many will say they only have 2* grams of carbs, but if you read the little * explanation, you'll find they have 24 or some such but they don't count 22 of them because they're Fiber. As a diabetic, I found that those 22 grams did make a difference in my blood sugar levels.

Edited by ElfiePoo