Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello, banded on 9/15/2009

Hi everyone,

My name's Dan. I'm 33 years old from NJ. I've always been a bigger guy but was always athletic and in decent shape. After college though, I blew up like someone had a bike pump attached to me. I went from 265 to 390 in about 12 years. As my title states, I was banded on 9/15. My first fill is on Monday Oct. 19th and I can't wait for it! I'm looking forward to fully healing and being able to work out again, with a restricted band and a regular diet. I'm assuming that's when the weight loss will really kick in. I'm also looking forward to taking my shirt off at the beach again without comparing the size of my boobs to all the ladies around me!

I was banded at the hospital of UPENN in Philadelphia. They crank out lap bands like crazy. At my info session there must have been about 50 people in the room. 50 large, large people. I felt right at home lol.

Anyway, my weight at surgery was 390lbs. For whatever reason, they did not make me go on any kind of pre-surgery diet. Unfortunately, I took advantage of this and ate everything in sight up until the night before surgery. I kind of went on a tour of all the foods I loved but would no longer be able to gorge myself into oblivion on.

I'm almost 5 weeks out now (getting my first fill in 5 weeks instead of six. If they think it's ok then I suppose it is. They've yet to steer me wrong), and I'm down to 364lbs as of last Sunday. I only weigh myself once a week now. At first it was multiple times a day and it only frustrated me. I know it's not healthy or the right way to do it, but I feel like I want to see a 10lb weight loss every time I step on the scale. When I don't see that, I feel like I'm doing something wrong. You know how it goes! Hopefully tomorrow I'll see another pound or two gone.

I suppose right now I'm in what seems to be called "bandster hell". I have an empty band and my stomach is no longer swollen, so I'm able to eat alot more than I was a couple of weeks ago. It's frustrating and a little scary. Luckily, I have no real cravings for anything that bad anymore. I used to live off of cheesesteaks, fast food and pizza. Now when I want to eat I really don't feel like heading to McDonalds or anything of the sort. There seems to be a mental and emotional change following this. Now I look at calories on the package. Now I drink juice or Water and don't think "I wish this was soda". Whenever I eat something that's not healthy, I get a little nervous and feel guilty about it. Despite this hell period, the empty band and healed stomach, I still can't eat as much as before. They told me I'd have almost no restriction during this time. Not true. I couldn't even fathom eating as much I could pre-op right now. Maybe half of it. I can't wait to see what it's like to have a restricted band! A couple of times I ate too much and felt uncomfortably full. When that happens I worry that I'm stretching out my pouch. I chalk that up to paranoia, because getting full like that a few times isn't going to cause that. Speaking of paranoia, don't get me started on the blood clot paranoia! For the first 3 weeks or so, any ache or pain I got convinced me I had a blood clot and was going to die. Am I alone in that?

Sorry for the long intro, but this is the first time I've had a chance to really talk about what's going on. I don't have anyone that knows what this is like :thumbdown:

Looking forward to getting healthy with you all!

PS - how does one change the coloring of the letters in their little ticker thing? Mine are white and I can barely read them! I saw no options to do it in the ticker editor thing.

Edited by dandeegan

Welcome Dan !!! Congrats on being banded and your weight loss. It seems like you are off to a great start! Kep your head up and keep up it up with the great work!

Hi Dan,

There is a list of September09 bandsters, add your name to the list! It is on page 87.

September 2009 Band Date - Page 86 - LAP-BAND® Surgery and LAP-BAND® Discussion Forum

we also post here-

September 09 Bandsters

You have lost a lot of weight, congratulations! Measure your food so you get no more than 1 cup a meal, or go by what your surgeon says. It helps me to think that my pouch is still healing, and I need to be very careful with it!

I worried about all my pains, too. I have a list from the surgeon of when to call in when having certain symptoms.

Wishing you a great journey ahead.

Hey Dan....congrats on your band! I was banded on Sept. 18th and won't get my first fill until Oct. 29th. I've lost a total of 20lbs which include my pre-op diet and like you, am looking forward to my fill so I can experience some "real weight loss". But it sounds like you have done great so far. I can still eat pretty much whatever I want as well and know that that will change after the band is tightened, but am also looking at trying to eat more "healthier" foods. Good luck to you and God Bless.

Wow, can I relate to your experiences. Thank you so much for sharing all that. I had my surgery on October 5, 2009. When I got to the hospital for my surgery, as much as I wanted it, I thought to myself "What the hell am I doing here? Maybe I should try dieting on my own again." Going through surgery is never easy.

After surgery I was worried that I'd get pneumonia. I worry that I might lift something and get a hernia and not know it. That I might eat too much and stretch my stomach. I didn't know that after the band is tightened you can't eat as much. (Thanks Sara09). I thought that just having the band would restrict what I ate. There is so much to learn.

I'm so glad I found this forum. Unless someone is going through the same procedure, they just don't understand.

Hi Dan,

I was banded the week after you, on 09/23/2009 and I'm right there with you in bandster hell. No restriction and more hunger but still kicking along. I have a fill next week and am anxiously awaiting. Good luck to you.