Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can you chew your food too much?

I keep reading "Chew everything really well!" and things to that nature. Can you ever "overchew" your food to the point that it goes through the band too fast?

Thanks!!

I would think that if you are eating Protein (and not drinking anything during the meal), the chewed up mass would stick to your stomach better than just a plain liquid like a Protein shake. I guess it also depends on your level of restriction. This is all pure conjecture on my part of course.

I have been known to chew too much, but in a way that causes me to want to gag instead of swallowing my food. I have texture issues. :thumbdown:

My doctor has said to be sure to not over chew. In essence, don't turn your good solid food into slider food. It never made since to me to chew tiny bits of food to mush either, so I was really glad when he clarified that for me. I'd rather have a little looser band so that I can eat pretty normally. I really don't think if anyone was interested enough in watching me eat, they'd think I was eating any differently than anyone else.

I use small plate because my meal portions are small, but I've never used baby utensils. Pre-banding, if I got a bite of tough meat, I could swallow and let my stomach take care of the digestion, but you're not going to get away with that after banding. I would never take a huge bite of steak, for instance, but I'd say I cut off maybe nickel size bites and chew well, but not to a liquidy mush.

That question also came up at our lap band support group meetings, so it's one a lot of people wonder about. That surgeon in attendance also said to be to not over chew, because if you do, you're not taking advantage of the band's restriction.

YES YOU CAN! Just saw my doc today and I was told that if you over chew the food goes down to fast like slider food. He saw aim for a cottag cheese consistancy and this makes the stomach work better.

This all makes perfect sense to me - thank you!! I just came off mushies onto solids, and i'm still in that mushy mindset. I know i haven't had an adjustment yet, but i'm trying to build habits now that I'll keep for the rest of my life. And chewing seemed so important lol.

I'll keep this all in mind, and stop chewing to the point of mush. Thanks everyone!!!