Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein protein protein

Is there a such thing as TOO much Protein? My dieteician is always getting on me for not getting enough... I finally found a way to get more in, but now I'm wondering if too much is a bad thing?

Anyone?

Thanks! :thumbup:

Not enough, and your hair will fall out.

I was told at least 75 - 80 a day, but your body only absorbs 25 at a time. So more at one sitting is not necessarily any different.

Is there a such thing as TOO much Protein? My dieteician is always getting on me for not getting enough... I finally found a way to get more in, but now I'm wondering if too much is a bad thing?

Anyone?

Thanks! :)

What constitues a sitting? Every half hour? Hour? Ugh... Since my surgery, i've been fighting the Protein battle, and I think I finally found a way to get it all in... just not sure how to manage it. I appreciate your comments and feedback!

My nutritionist said that overloading on Protein at one sitting puts a strain on your kidneys. Those protein powders/bullets that have like 50 grams of protein per serving was her example. I don't know if she meant only to be careful with just the liquid forms of protein or all forms, but I know I couldn't eat that much protein in one sitting anyway.

The window of absorption for Protein, good question. I know my Vitamins are administered in 3 hour intervals for optimum absorption, but I eat Protein before that.

I usually start my day with an EAS shake (110 calories) with 25 g of protein. That takes care of a 1/3 before I even really start my day.

And I add unflavored unjury protein to just about everything else. Heck, cottage cheese has 14, if you add even 1/2 a scoop of Unjury, you have your 2nd 25 grams.

What constitues a sitting? Every half hour? Hour? Ugh... Since my surgery, i've been fighting the protein battle, and I think I finally found a way to get it all in... just not sure how to manage it. I appreciate your comments and feedback!

I was talking to a fitness instructor at the gym last night and he recommended 25 ish grams every hour and a half or two hours or so. He said our bodies cant absorb more than that at a time and anything more than that just gets pee'd out and wasted. He laughed at body builders who do 52 gram shots at a time because it isnt helping them a bit! :sneaky:

He said that the Protein in out bodies kept at a consistent level throughout the day keeps us from going into starvation mode; which hinders weight loss... not to mention the benefit it does for our muscles as we lose weight and get stronger and healthier.

I just wish Protein wasnt so darn high in calories! :thumbup:

TheCooley is correct .... overloading of Protein can strain your kidneys, which isn't good.

I was told to eat 20-25 grams of Protein at a meal. No snacking unless I know I will have to go way longer than 4-5 hours between meals, in which case I can snack and it can even be on protein if I choose but not a lot (a boiled egg is, what, 7 grams? an ounce of low fat cheese about the same?) That adds up to 60-75 grams of protein in a day and perhaps a bit more if I have a snack and it's protein.