Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm so upset right about now...I have CIGNA as my insurance, unfortunately, and I need to do a 6 month evaluation with a nutritionist before I get approved. Don't care about that all except, I started this process in August and the nutritionist that my surgeon has sent me too has canceled on me 3 times!!! I FINALLY get to see her tomorrow! BUT with that being said, I now have to wait 6 months as of tomorrow for my surgery!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTH!!!! That's so not fair and that's not my fault!!! I was hoping to get banded in January, now I'm looking at March! Sorry I just needed to vent, very very very frustrated! :thumbup:

I have Cigna too. I only had to see a nutritionist once. The 6 months of supervised visits I did at the docs office. Went in every month - they weighed me, talked to me about how I was "supposed" to be eating and that was it. I did have to write down what I ate every day and what excercise I did - of course the whole thing was a total fabrication... My first visit with the lap band doc was 04/16. I have only seen the doc one time in 6 months - rest of the time was a nurse or PA. Last visit was 09/25 and insurance was submitted. During the 6 months I did the nutritionist meeting, psych consult, got medical clearance from my family MD...seemed like it was going to take forever at the start but here I am. Cinga approved me in less than a week. Went to cardiologist last week and now just waiting for him to clear me. That part didn't have anything to do with insurance - had to get that done for the surgeon.

I'm so sorry that you have to wait even longer! That is BS! My insurance co had a 3-month requirement, but my case worker at the dietician/psych program sent my charts a month early for approval through my insurance company and it went through! I know all insurance companies are different, but maybe there is something they can do to move things along a little faster for you.

Vent away! I sure have been for the last couple of days about this very thing...waiting! It's so difficult sometimes. Please keep us posted and good luck!

Sorry...... I know that once you finally get it in your head to go ahead with this, you are ready now! I am ready now and I have to get my husbands head around it since I am asking him to pay $18,000 for it! So - yep,,,,it sucks to wait on the insurance, but the bright side is that they will cover it. And maybe the will give you credit for time served?lol:biggrin:

I too have Cigna. It was 6 months for me also. I saw my primary care Dr for the 6 months pre-op diet and then about 4 months into it saw the nutritionist and surgeon. At first it seemed like it would take forever but after the first couple months it flew by. After getting started seemed like every week or two had another appointment.

Oh yeah and I got approved in 3 days. Surgeon's office sent the paperwork in and in 3 days I had a surgery date. Wasn't bad at all.....

Suzanne

Thank you all so much for the support! One question, does the 6 months start the day I see my nutritionist or does it start from the day I saw my surgeon and started all the other requirements? I'm hoping it was when I started with my surgeon! I called CIGNA but they couldn't give me that answer, they said they believe it starts from when I saw my surgeon. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Thank you all so much for the support! One question, does the 6 months start the day I see my nutritionist or does it start from the day I saw my surgeon and started all the other requirements? I'm hoping it was when I started with my surgeon! I called CIGNA but they couldn't give me that answer, they said they believe it starts from when I saw my surgeon. Keeping my fingers crossed!

I have CIGNA also..

and what I understand is that the 6 months starts with the 1st Dr or Nutritonist apt..

It stinks that you have to wait longer than you thought.. I hope time goes by super fast for you!!

And hey! I'm in CT too!!:)

My first visit was in Feb. Because my BMI was below 40, I had to have a co-morbidity. It took me a while to decide if I wanted to wait the six months but I did decide to so I had a sleep apnea test done and sure enough - I have it. I then scheduled an appt with the doc and that started my 6 months. I couldn't go back from Feb because I needed the co-morbidity to start the process. Also, from Feb to Apr had a gap in the 6 months and I needed them to be 6 months in a row.

This is what I did:

Feb - met with surgeon (actually PA)

March - sleep apnea test

Apr - met with surgeon (actually PA)

May - met with psychologist and surgeon (actually PA)

June - Had upper GI done and met with actual surgeon

July - Met with nutritionise and PA

Aug - Got medical clearance from primary family MD

Sept - met with PA - Insurance submitted 09/28/09.

Oct - Received authorization in less than a week. Went last week for clearance from cardiologist and had echo done. All I am waiting on is the clearance from cardio doc. HOPEFULLY will get today.

Remember - write down everything you eat daily and what excercise you do - a must have for 6 months.

Aw WTH!! That's not what I wanted to hear, but I guess I needed to know. Annoyed! Oh well, it is what it is. I guess I wish this was explained to me a little more clear. Oh well.

So sorry you are having issues. I feel like I am one of the lucky ones. It only took a month for my process from the initial consultation to the surgery date. I didn't have to do a 6 month diet. I say keep the faith though, everything will fall in place and you will be happy you followed through.:)

Well I just got off the phone with a new nutritionist and she seems very nice and she was VERY helpful. I meet with here next Friday!! Yeah!! Ok so now I'm looking at March for my band, but life goes by so fast, that it'll be here before I know it! Hey I turn 30 in March, so what a nice present. A new decade and new me!! Thanks everyone!! :)