Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I dont understand whats going on

I was banded in Sept 07 at at weight of 102kg (sorry from Aus) anyway 6 weeks after I was dx with Multiple sclerosis, total shock and out of the blue. I didnt appear to affect my banding in anyway and over the next few months the band was filled to approx 5.5mls in a 11ml band. Suddenly and for no apparant reason my problems started with constant vomiting, not being able to keep fluids down etc. I had bits taken out and all would be ok for another couple of weeks then the same thing, until eventually I had enough and asked for a full 1ml to be taken out which them put me at 2.6 mls in the band (its fitted with 2mls in it).

This was cool and I found myself eating an acceptable amount of food and being able to eat stuff I hadnt been able to for ages (but nothing naughty). Over the course of 2 months a but back on 2-3 kgs but it was nice to have the break. I decided to have .5mls put back in and the whole bloody thing has started up again. I had .25 taken back out sigh and still feel something is not right. Today for instance, I had a coffee in the morning which was fine, Soup for lunch and not to much and hey presto up it comes. Decided to have a flavoured milk small bottle as I was concerned I had nothing in me, up it comes (not a thick one either). I am so frustrated, most people have about 8-9mls in their bands at this stage. I am totally happy at my current weight of 73-75kg and would just love to find that nice place where I can eat a small meal without fear of it coming back.

I have found that sometimes if I eat a bit more than I should it will resolve the issue, almost like I have pushed through the barrier. Do you think that the vomiting has caused my stomach to push up through the band and this is what causes my issues.

Boy oh Boy who said this was the easy option, sometimes I feel like I am over it.

Jo

If you are having trouble keeping food down I think you should contact your surgeon.

I am so sorry to hear about the MS. Please contact your doctor and get his advise. He is the better choice for you right now. Good luck.

Things have settled a bit since the last lot taken out. The only issue now is that I cant seem to eat any food with even the smallest lumps before about 3pm or it sticks. For my evening meal though i can eat really well, mash potato, mince and soft veggies or home made burgers (hubby makes a mean thai chick burger) and as long as I avoid Pasta or rice it all seems good. I think the problem maybe that If I vomit It pushes a bit of stomach up through the band and this causes a blockage. I am just glad that I can eat some food and keep it down.

Also on a MS web site I frequent another lady there had a similar problem with her band and it was discovered that her esophagus muscles where not working properly (due to the MS) and unable to push the food through the band if the hole was to small. although I am reluctant to blame the MS it could be playing a part in it, and in the last few days have also discovered that the new med I am on can cause unexplained weight gain so I will just have to be extra careful and cut out the milky drinks.

Jo