Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My dietician?s answer to how many carbs?

I posted a thread yesterday about how many carbs people are eating daily and what the correct allotment is--

my dietician at my surgeo’s office answered my email today and below is the answer:

The minimum amount of carbohydrates that is recommended is approximately 130 mg.

So for me personally, I am eating within my limits. (yeah)

I posted a thread yesterday about how many carbs people are eating daily and what the correct allotment is--

my dietician at my surgeo’s office answered my email today and below is the answer:

The minimum amount of carbohydrates that is recommended is approximately 130 mg.

So for me personally, I am eating within my limits. (yeah)

130 mg or 130 grams? Big difference.

I'm sure she meant grams - as no one is eating .13 grams / day.

But...130 grams of carbs each day would be waaaay over what I'm supposed to be eating. My doc is into lean Proteins and carbs only from non-starchy vegetables.

I'm sure she meant grams - as no one is eating .13 grams / day.

But...130 grams of carbs each day would be waaaay over what I'm supposed to be eating. My doc is into lean Proteins and carbs only from non-starchy vegetables.

130 grams seems like a lot to me. My dietician said no more than 50 per day, or 15 per meal. That is more than double.

Agreed. I stick to around 50-60 carbs a day, with a lot of them coming from complex carbs (beans, fiberous veggies, milk, etc.).

I stay confused on the carb issue. 50-60 per day. That is the goal. I never differentiate between good carbs, bad carbs, complex carbs. Does it make a difference? If so, what is the difference? What are the 50-60 we are trying to get each day?

I was told to stay on top of bad carbs, When I asked how I know which ones are bad I was told to take the total amount of carbs subtract the total Fiber and it gives you amount of bad carbs. Has anyone else been told this? I can't quite get it because if I get a Protein Bar that says 3 net carbs I turn it over deduct fiber from total carbs and I don't come up with 3 net carbs. Just not getting it!:o

I think to get net carbs you take the carb content and subtract the total Protein and sugar alcohol's. That could be labeled as Maltitol or some other form of sugar alcohol. :o

130 grams is alot. I try to have no more than 15 grams per meal (that's roughly a slice of lite bread). 130 grams is the equivalent of almost 9 slices of lite bread! That's almost a whole day's calories!!

I think to get net carbs you take the carb content and subtract the total Protein and sugar alcohol's. That could be labeled as Maltitol or some other form of sugar alcohol. :thumbup:
Thank you, I'll try that.

I made the decision to AVOID all bad carbs. It is not healthy for my diabetes anyway. For those who are confused BAD carbs are basically anything WHITE...potatoes, white breads, white flours, rice, Pasta, bananas and sugars!

Good carbs are from veggies, Beans, and fruits. But you still have to watch them. Who knew that 4 brussell sprouts has nearly 11 carbs? The same as 1/4 a sweet potato..go figure!

There's so much debate over good vs bad carbs. I cut everything with added sugars (even the fake sugars for me) and stick with non-starchy vegetables.

This means, I pass on potatoes and corn and stick with the green vegetables. I neverrrr eat rice or Pasta.

I looked up Brussels Sprouts. They have 8 calories, 1.49g carb, and .5 gram fiber each. Meaning that their effective carbohydrate rate is 1 gram each. Here's a link: http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

To further complicate things, throw in the Glycemic Index. The GI ranks foods according to their impact on blood glucose levels. The lower the number, the better it is for you because it's not going to impact your blood glucose level as much. Here's a link to an explanation: Glycemic Index: Which Foods Have a Low Glycemic Index?

Whew.

I hope this doesn't sound preachy. It's not meant to be. I do not follow the GI at all. Too much effort for this girl.

I am a carb eater - I still eat breads, cereals etc but I only eat wholegrain organic versions. I too avoid bad carbs like white bread, rice, Pasta. And I just plain wouldnt eat bread, Pasta and rice in ONE day. I dont for a second believe we need as many carbs as most of us ate.

But I feel awful awful awful without any carbs in my diet and I dont believe its that healthy either. I dont know how many I eat in a day but its MUCH less than before being banded. But seriously, i wouldnt even bother counting the carbs in brussell sprouts. To me, those are a healthy food, end of story. I dont limit fruit, vegies etc at all other than the amount I can fit in my stomach.