Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Warning -long post!!!! This post has some duplicate information from another post, but I wanted to expand on the topic. The new information is at the bottom...How do you compare?

I was banded on July 22nd and have lost about 30ish pounds. (includig preop diet)

I just recently got to where I don't feel like I am choking all day long -now it is only after I eat any food of substance (not yogurt, etc...)

So, all in all, I think I should get a fill, but don't want to feel bad all the time.

I eat anywhere from 1/2 a cup to 3/4 a cup of food, and not nearly enough Protein.

Now, to my question...

Well, it's not really a question, but a topic for discussion that I want to throw out there.

I want to eat. Some people call it head hunger, but to me, it is more complicated. I love to eat and get more out of eating than just nourishment. Wow, big surprise, right??

The past few days, I've had a party at work -chips and other goodies, gone out to eat with my son and grandaughter- kind of a special occasion because I don't see them that often, and cooked dinner for them today.

The work party- foods to make sandwiches with- meats cheeses, lettuce, tomatoes, pickles and most special-BREAD. I looked longingly at the bread, but helped myself to meat and cheese, chips and dips, etc. Why did I eat chips and (lots) of dip? because I can't tolerate the healthy vegetables! What I really want! is a sandwich! And, what I really want is to eat without out being cautious. I don't need to overeat at all...I just want to eat like a regular person-Like I used to (just not huge portions !!) One half sandwich eaten with gusto would have made me happy.

The Mexican restaurant -I couldn't eat much at all. Everything felt heavy, whatever that means.

The family meal? I made roast beef, mashed potatoes, gravy, carrots, macaroni and cheese...you get it, comfort food. Did they need that either?? of course not! but that is my point. I ate the potatoes and gravy easily, but had to wet my food, especially the meat with lots of gravy...

I have to put sauces, creams, and gravies on most of my food...really! It is either that, or just not eat the food and eat yogurt every meal.

Soooo, just a post to basically see what you all are able to eat, how much? do you feel uncomfortable when you eat (not nervous) Don't you want to eat normal size bites of food? Doesn't the eating experience seem to be stressful eating small, tiny bites so slowly?

Most of you all have had one or several fills at my point. How on earth do we live for the rest of our lives on such little food? Tablespoons? Don't you feel bad worrying about foods getting stuck when you are tight?

And, mostly do you feel sad and unsatisfied eating the few tablespoons of food for an extended period of time?

To me, I thought that I would be so happy with the described and that I would replace the food with more pleasant thoughts, but it's not happening for me...

So, in summary, I have lots of questions! I don't need advice, I just want to see what you all are doing, eating, but mainly -thinking, feeling...

Thanks for allowing me to have a peek into your life!! :smile:

Edited by denouement

Hi There,

Good topic for a post!:thumbup:

I was banded August 26th and have lost about 30lbs with the pre-op diet. I had my first fill on September 24th, 3.5 cc's in a 10cc. band.

Do I feel a lot of restriction? No.. Am I able to eat just about everything? Yes. I do find that I get more full on less food and I can tell that I am much more mindful of what I eat. I don't get really hungry until I am suppose to. I am curious as to what the next fill brings. I hope it makes me less hungry but still allows me to eat what I like to eat, just smaller portions. I guess I will find out!

As far as eating goes, I do eat half a sandwich usually with veggies on the side (I can tolerate them if I chew well). So far, I haven't had a problem with bread. I eat pretty slowly, and just try to talk to the people around me while I eat. So it becomes social time during lunch at work. When I am at home, I don't have anyone to talk to most of the time (except the dog.. :smile:) and I find I eat faster. I need to slow down at home.

Maybe you are too tight? How many cc's do you have in your band? I've read that there are people who choose to have less of a fill in their band so that they can eat more, as they find they can't enjoy eating and it doesn't fit into their life. I think the term "sweet spot" is subjective. If I couldn't eat anything I think I would be frustrated too. I am trying to make good choices and use the band a tool not a solution within itself. I am incorporating more exercise and trying to make it a lifestyle change overall. I'm not totally at that lifestyle yet, I'm a work in progress. :(

My point is that I think each person has to find what works for them in their own lives. I would maybe work with your doctor to find what fits in your life and how you want to live. You still can lose weight and be happy with what you eat too! Maybe just a little "tweak" is needed. :wink2:

Best of luck to you!!!

I have had my band for almost 3 years and right now I have a pretty tight fill....3.75CC in a 4cc band. If I didn't eat mindfully I would probably be vomiting at every meal.

You say your 'head hunger' is more complicated and sure, it's probably emotional on a certain level but it is still your mind telling you that you need/like/want food when your body doesn't really need it at the time. Speaking for most in this forum, we ~all~ love to eat...that's why we ended up here.

Did I love to eat before my band....hell yeah !!! :smile: Do I still love to eat??? Repeat...hell yeah !!! :( But I have learned to control myself. But I can say that after 3 years I still fight with my head.

As for food...I can eat pretty much anything if I do it slowly and take small bites. It has pretty much become habit for me and I don't give it much thought anymore, I'm sure it will eventually become the same way for you.

You said "One half sandwich eaten with gusto would have made me happy" With gusto? Does that mean big bites, hardly chewed and barely tasted? 1 of the things I have found with having to slow down is that I actually enjoy taste and texture far more now than I ever have. You will too if you look at it as a good change and not something that you are missing out on.

The next time you eat with a group, watch them closely. I was banded in November and had basically just started real food at Chirstmas time. So I sat down to Christmas dinner with all of my family, 16 of us, and thoughts of what I would allow myself. I put things on my plate (by the way...I have NEVER EVER only been able to eat a few tablespoons as a meal!!!) and started eating slowly, with small bites. As I chatted and laughed I began to watch them and was amazed and almost a little grossed out by watching the huge forkfuls of food they were eating. Anyhow...I believe that as a society we have become over eaters, we don't taste food because we eat so fast and unconsiously.

Ok....I don't have a clue about all this babble that I've put here. How do I feel? Physically I feel better than I have in years. Mentally I feel (95% of the time) in control. I am satisfied with what I eat, I still eat bread if I want it, altho I try to limit is because it just makes me want more. When I was losing weight it could slow the scale down to a stop so I ate almost no carbs the first year. It took some getting used to but it's juat a change of habit. I eat veggies and fruit and even chips and dip now and then.

I guess you need to make some choices. You don't have to live with your band so tight that you're unalbe to eat a sandwich when you want. You can keep your band fairly loose, use a little more will-power, make good choices and still lose weight. If you decide to do that you might have to allow that your losses will be a little more gradual. No matter what anyone says weight loss is a basic equation...burn more calories than you ingest and you ~will~ lose weight.

Ok....now I'm going off on a totally different thing so I'm done. Not sure I contributed or not and I guess at the end of all my babble it really comes down to the fact that this is a change you made. Now you need to work with it and realize that it takes time for us all to mentally adjust.

Good luck with your band !!!

Patricia

Thanks for the great responses-keep 'em commin'!!!!!!

*just a note -I don't have a fill -they took it out because I couldn't even drink water!! And, I have always eaten slower than anyone at the table...

But more about you all!!! I'm listening

(ps.good luck to everybody :smile: