Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need Lap Band Buddy / Mentor New here, looking for an ear to pull.

Hello,

I just had my Lapband placed on September 16th, 2009. I'm past my 2 week mark and doing as expected I suppose. I do have questions from time to time and was hoping to find a buddy that is (or was) similar to myself. I'm male, 37 years old, weighed 450 lbs. at my heaviest, now about 410 lbs. I lost some prior to surgery and have lost about 25 lbs. since the surgery. I had some weakness issues the first week that I think I'm overcoming. I have also had some pain issues, mostly in the back, chest, and shoulders, but nothing to complain about, just annoying. My biggest concern is that everyone told be I wouldn't be hungry for some time after the surgery because of all the swelling. Well, I was starving by the third day after surgery and find myself very hungry everyday, even after most meals. Wondering if this is normal. Also, how much should I be able to eat at once at this point? Maybe if I could eat more, I could feel more full but don't want to over do it. I probably only eat 1/2 - 1 cup of food at a time now but most of what I eat is soupy and pureed so I think it is going right through. Any suggestions?:smile:

Sorry if you were looking for answers from a guy? I was banded on July 13 and whoever told you, you would not be hungry lied if you ask me. I was only on liquids for 48 hours and then on to mushies. I was hungry day and night. I was hungry when I was asleep. It was not until I got to solids at 4 weeks post op that the hunger stopped. I went in for my first fill at the same time and then had about 6 weeks with no hunger at all. I ate between 3/4 cup and 1 cup of mushies 3 times a day. It is so hard the first month I tried to just drink as much Water as I could to kill the hunger pains. coffee is also a good hunger killer. If you can just use your will power for the first month it will all get better after that.

I am now 10½ weeks post op and had my second fill. I am only at 3ccs and I still eat about 3/4 a cup of whatever I eat. I can eat everything I have tried and have only been stuck twice. It will all get better as time goes by. Hang in there you can make it!!!

Thanks so much for the reply, it makes me feel much better knowing I'm not just unusual or that something hasn't happened with the band. And no, I don't mind that you're not a guy. I was under the impression that men and woman have very different experiences with the lapband and was hoping to find some other "Big Guys" that I could relate too. However, all help is welcomed and appreciated. :smile:

My Nurse said I could start eating pureed foods at my 1 week post-op, but I still can't seem to curb my hunger. I've been careful, but I'm afraid I will over do it one day and cause some problems if I dont keep the volume low. I'm not supposed to be back until the end of October for my first fill, I'm beginning to wonder if I shouldn't try to get in earlier. Patience I guess. :(

It sounds like like you are doing what you are suppose to do. I know that hunger is unbearable. I thought something might be wrong with me, like maybe they forgot to put the band in. But it was there. They call it “Bandster Hell” the period you are going through and trust me it will get better when you go on solids. When I was on mushies I just had to measure out what I ate or I would want to eat a whole bowl of mash potatoes. Like I said during that time period it is almost sheer willpower. Do you have a good support system at home? That always helps. If not find you a good buddy on here and e-mail everyday. I meet someone that I do that with and it is a real help even though my husband is a great source of support he does not really know what it feels like to be addicted to food and then it is taken away from you. I am sure you would rather talk to a guy but if I can help you with anything feel free to private message me or e-mail me. I will be here for a while I have about 85 lbs I want to loose. These people here have been a great support system for me and will for you too. Keep in touch!

being hungry is not unusual- especially until you get your first fill- and sometimes even after until you hit the "sweet spot". Eating Protein (protein drinks for you if you're still on mushy foods) helps keep some of the hunger at bay. Hang in there! Also, try to make sure you're not getting any sugar or high fructose corn syrup- that stuff makes you hungry too- probably about an hour after you eat something with it in it.

Go for Protein first. Protein is more dense than other food so it takes longer to digest, so it makes you feel full longer than other foods as it stays in your pouch longer. Bandster Hell is tough!! We've been there. Once you get to fully solid food and start getting fills, it does get easier.