Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So, I was referred to this program back in '07 but I was dealing with some personal and emotional issues, and getting medication sorted out, so it kind of fell back on my list of priorities. Recently I have been in a more stable situation, I just turned 25, and I feel like its time for me to take responsibility and do something about myself instead of just sitting around and whining about it.

I am going through Kaiser Richmond, and I went to an initial orientation back in 07 but now I have a refresher class I am taking on Thursday. So I am excited about that.

Um.. a little about me? I was diagnosed with severe depression a while ago, but I am currently off the meds, and happier then I have been in a long time. I was never one of those people to eat fast food/junk food/crap, even tho I was raised on food out of boxes as a child. So its always depressing when my friends say "Oh I quit drinking soda, and lost 40 pounds" And I havent had soda in like... 8 years, but here I am, unable to loose anything it seems!

I was diagnosed with Hashimotos Thyroiditis when I was 12, and I have been fighting with my endocrinologist ever since then to get me on anything other then T4, since T4 so obviously hasnt alleviated any of my symptoms in that time. I don't eat very much, or very often as it is, my thyroid is like.. non-existent by now, and I feel like I have zero metabolism.

I *Try* to lead an active life, but there is always room for improvement. I am an avid cyclist, and commute 6 miles home a night, as well as run errands and go grocery shopping on my bike, but the real key for me is building muscle. I recently, at the start of this year started going to curves, but the staff kind of annoys me and the music is horrible, so I am usually pretty bad about going. I am working on getting a membership to my local YMCA, because they offer classes I like (like pilates) which I can follow up with strength training on the weight machines.

I also probably have fibromyalgia, my mom has it, and I have the same symptoms, but I wont let them diagnose me with it, because I already have enough "pre-existing conditions" to never be able to get medical insurance :thumbup:.

I eat a pretty strict diet as a pescatarian-vegan (meaning I eat seafood and fish, but not eggs, dairy, wheat, soy, etc) and I try really hard to limit all processed or fried foods.

I am hoping that with the assistance of the Lap-band and maintaining an active life, I can ditch the 75-80 lbs I packed on over the last 5 years of being depressed, and maybe an extra 25, to a weight I havent been since I was in middle school (I havent been under 200lbs since I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism)

Hahah, ugh.. thanks for reading my life story??? haha.

Hi Geeky, and welcome to our forums. We are happy to have you join us.

I did Curves for about a month and really didn't like it at all. Like you said, I didn't care for the music at all. Not only that, I just never felt like I got a good workout there. I never even broke a sweat. I joined a regular gym and do like you suggested. I like taking the cycling classes and then follow it up with the weights. I really feel like I have gotten a good workout then.

Keep us posted on how things are going and let us know if you have any questions.