Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Fast / Slow Do You Eat

Could you all give me some examples of what you eat (size) and how long it takes you to eat it.

Also, how long does it take you to drink, lets say a cup of Water. Can you drink like before you were banded ?

THANK YOU !!!

I drink a little less now but I can basically drink the same way and amount as I did before but I just sip and I've actually gotten used to it now - no more gulping. I don't know how much I'm supposed to eat right now - still confused - but I'm on mush and only 8 days out. I got those 3 oz dixie bathroom cups and I use those to eat 3 oz at a time. But today I went out to Taco Bell with my DH and I ate 2/3 the inside of a burrito (no tortilla) in about 15 minutes - I take very very very small bites bites b/c I'm not good at chewing chewing chewing.

I eat slowly but I take too long to eat generally.

Let me explain.

The band does cause me to eat slowly. Anytime I am out with people I take longer than everyone to eat much less than they eat.

However, supposedly we are supposed to stop eating after 15 minutes. I often eat longer than 15 minutes if I am out and talking and having conversations. If I didn't make an effort, I could still be eating after an hour.

I used to be able to guzzle a cup of Water. Now it would take at least 5 minutes of sipping.

This morning I ate 2 small pieces of sweet and sour chicken and a fried wonton and a piece of shrimp and it took about 10 minutes. That's typical.

Another piece of info. At lunch I get 30 minutes to eat and I can rarely finish lunch (which is often something like oatmeal or cereal).

I can still gulp water........or any other liquids like a champ!

I'm so excited to hear that some people are still able to guzzle Water. I was just thinking today how I will miss taking a nice big sip of water when I'm really thirsty. I've been trying little sips just to get used to it and it's not the same thing. I guess time will tell if I'm able to do the same.

I can still drink Water and fluids like before with expection to milk. I can not eat my food fast though. I take my time and chew everything alot before swallowing, a few bad PBs taught me that :)

Gulp, gulp, gulp, especially if I'm trying to wash down meds. As for food, until I'm full, just very slowly. If I'm in public, I eat even slower, nothing worse than a pb in a restaurant.

I can guzzle Water as long as my stomach is totally empty. If I take a drink of water with any food (expecially starchy food) and I drink more than the smallest sip, it's pain time!

It takes me forever to finish a meal. I usually give up out of boredom after about 20 minutes. I get in about 1/2 cup of food per meal and I have two Snacks in between.

I was banded on 9/16/05 and haven't had my first fill yet so I don't have much restriction. However, I make sure that I eat only to the point of satisfaction, NOT full. Here's a typical day for me:

Breakfast: 8 oz. yogurt

Mid-morning: 8 oz. Protein drink

Lunch: small piece of baked chicken, a few bites of broccoli

Mid-afternoon: 8 oz. Protein Drink

Dinner: 5-6 pieces of imitation crab meat, 1-2 string cheese

Sometimes, I'll have a granola bar if I'm out and about and won't be back home in time for my scheduled meal.

I can now guzzle Water like I did before surgery - only on an empty stomach though. I drink anywhere between 48-64oz. of flavored water a day. However, I was only able to sip the first few days after surgery because I was still swollen.

I can still gulp Water........or any other liquids like a champ!

THATA BOY !!!!

Thanks everyone !!!! You've made my day.

I was wondering about the Water and being able to drink / guzzle :)