Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What would keep you coming to support group?

We have a wonderful support group in Ithaca, NY, with 2 weeks a month for lap-band support and 2 weeks a month for RNY. In the past 2 months we've noticed that more and more RNY folks are attending our lap-band meetings, which is fine when everyone needs support, but the topics and conversations are very different (esp. if new folks considering surgery are there).

We see that many lap-band folks don't continue coming much longer than 4-6 mo. after surgery. If you have a successful group in your area, or if you don't and wish there were, and you are 6+ months out - what would keep you coming to the support group??

A few of us really want the meetings, and focused on our topics and concerns, and want advice & suggestions from all of you. We'll be brainstorming next week...so please, any ideas will be much appreciated!

We have a wonderful support group in Ithaca, NY, with 2 weeks a month for LAP-BAND® support and 2 weeks a month for RNY. In the past 2 months we've noticed that more and more RNY folks are attending our LAP-BAND® meetings, which is fine when everyone needs support, but the topics and conversations are very different (esp. if new folks considering surgery are there).

We see that many LAP-BAND® folks don't continue coming much longer than 4-6 mo. after surgery. If you have a successful group in your area, or if you don't and wish there were, and you are 6+ months out - what would keep you coming to the support group??

A few of us really want the meetings, and focused on our topics and concerns, and want advice & suggestions from all of you. We'll be brainstorming next week...so please, any ideas will be much appreciated!

Before I moved I went to a great support group. The lady that ran it is a lap band patient herself and actually works for the Drs office that does the surgery. She would try to have guest speakers every couple of classes one time it was a lady from the gym showing different excercises she had the dr come in, a psycholgist, A Nutrionist that took us shopping and showed us out to read labels. Twice a year they have a clothing exchange. It was stuff like that, That kept me going. It was also nice to have someone that went through what I went through cuz even though I had my surgery 10 months ago I still had questions. I hope some of this helps

Thanks! Great suggestions - we do clothing exchanges a few times a year, but hadn't thought to suggest getting an exercise person to show different at the desk or on the couch type exercises, or to meet at the grocery store! Our leader has been through RNY, and is very supportive of us, and wanted ideas of what else lap-band folks might want? I'd love a cooking class or showing different portion sizes with a quiz (like on the Biggest loser last episode!)

I think it would help to have someone that has had the band for a while co host the support group then as people have questions they know who to ask.. A few months ago our support group hosted a chef who had the bypass. I think the cost was $25 a person and he cooked a meal and showed people how to measure there portions and all that good stuff. I was unable to make it but I heard it had a good turn out. I am sure who could research it on the web. I cant remember his name but sure you can come up with something..

The leader of our support group works very close with my physician. She had bypass a few years ago and she tells about it but makes it clear that we are there to talk about lap-band.(I think these surgeons at this hospital has just about quit doing bypass. & are doing the band mostly.)

She had scheduled a recontruction body surgeon to talk about taking off the loose skin. They have clothes exchanges. She offers samples of different flavored shakes, recipes.

For the first 30 minutes, our meeting is only for post-op people and then she lets in the pre-op people.

Hope this helps.