Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you wish you had a bypass?

Sometimes it's hard to predict if the lap band is going to be the right procedure for a person. I gave it my "all" and frustration didn't even start until many months down the road for me and then adding GERD on top of things. I wasn't a day 1 get lap band, day 2 wish it were gone type person. I truly couldn't lose the weight with it and struggled and actually gained weight after a few months. I also came here many months after struggling and probably could have picked up a few tips that may have made my decision much easier but who knows. Sometimes once you get an idea in your head it's difficult to be objective. You never think "I'll be the one who chows down on ice cream after banded"!

Anyway the way I look at it learn as much as you can before you get banded, know the type of eater you are because cravings don't necessarily leave once banded. Even with RNY eventually things get more difficult to pass up but if you're lucky you have dumping syndrome for a while and it helps limit the amount of snacking one might do.

I tried the band first and it just didn't do it for me so I moved on to RNY. I can't change history but at least I can change my future. Good luck to all of you who struggle! Nancy.:tongue2:

Sorry to hear you are so frustrated. There were several good responses about this, so I won't go there. But you asked the question and my answer is no, absolutely not. Not even on my worst day have I ever wished I'd had RNY instead of the band. I know it doesn't work for everyone so there is no judgement in that comment. For me personally, when the band "stops working for me", turns out I've stopped working the band. Good luck.

Unfortunatley, i do not wish i had the bypass. I have a personal goal for me a month. If i can lose 10lb a month. I am happy. We must remember that losing the wait slow is more healthier. We also have to remember that the band is a tool. I work out 5 days a week and i count calories and so far so good. It will happen just be patience :(

I am going to try to post as nicely as I can...

First of all, you've heard it before, and you acknowledged it yourself, your weight loss to this point has been AWESOME!! Why in the world, would anyone (especially at your weight of under 200lbs) even CONSIDER having the bypass instead of the band..I don't get it..I really don't.

Didn't you know going into this what the average weight loss was? Which you are well above BTW. Didn't you know that the band (and bypass and sleeve for that matter) REQUIRE a lifestyle change that includes exercise? Did you think the band was going to be put in and you would lose 20lbs a month without exercising?

I'm sorry to sound so judgmental, I really am. But posts like this just absolutely pi** me off to no end. You would think this person lost a pound or two and that's it. No matter how you lose weight, naturally, with exercise with surgery, etc. you WILL plateau. Seriously, did you not know this? It is VERY FRUSTRATING to plateau and everyone will tell you this. But you WILL lose again. If you change your lifestyle, with or without the band, with or without bypass, and exercise YOU WILL LOSE!!

OK, rant over..

HECK NO would I EVER wish I had the bypass over the band..the band worked "as advertised" for me!

I had my surgery done exactly one month ago tomorrow, and I am so glad I had it done. Although I haven't lost tons of weight, I feel better than I have in a long time. I have more energy, and I am beginning to see people notice that I am losing inches if not a lot of pounds. I also have been able to stand not taking my pain meds for my degenerative back disease, and it has been eight years since I have been taking those meds. I lost weight prior to surgery, and weighed 375 or so the day of surgery. I am one month out and down to 346 and very proud of that loss. I have four more weeks to go until my first fill, because my doctor does not do fills before eight weeks. I am hungry often, but I am trying to eat a healthy diet and so far it is working. Don't give up, we can do this!:(

Wow -- after 11 months of being banded, I have to disagree. The band is not a gimmick -- for me, it has been a salvation.

47 lbs is great though -- it sounds like you either are building a lot of muscle right now b/c of your workouts, or that you need a fill. I will say that when I started working out seriously (through a Boot Camp 3x per week), I didn't lose any significant weight for 6 weeks. BUT, I did lose inches during that time, and after the 6th week, the weight came off faster than it had before.

Hang in there. This absolutely DOES work. It's not a quick solution like the bypass (in terms of losing weight rapidly), but it works over time and your likelihood of keeping the weight off forever is substantially increased.

Best wishes for your success,

Catherine

I am 16 weeks out as of today. I started at 254 and am as of last months doc visit down to 224, and I go back to the doc this Friday for my 3rd adjustment, I do not know how much if any I have lost this month as I do not own a scale. My exercise right now consists of walking the dog 1 mile a day, and that is about it, that that is me. I am getting a bike as soon as i can and i will be riding it, I am also as soon as I can afford it getting an above ground pool and will do Water aerobics. We do not have a gym out here in the boon docks where i live, and it is 25 miles one way to a curves or anything, so I won't be doing that.

I am watching what eat, eating what the plan says I can have, and once a week I do have my 1/8 of a baked potato, other than that I am on plan all the way. The band is working as it is supposed to, because I am workign the band the way I am supposed to.

2.5 lbs a week is my average loss, and I get to be surprised each time I go to the doc to see what it is.

My 3rd fill will hopefully get me to my sweet spot, I am at 6.75 in a 10cc band right now after 2 fills, I have 2 cruises coming up, and i am very excited for them. I have bought 2 new bathing suits and have gone from a 22 to a 16/18 I am psyched.

I agree I would love to loose the weight quick, but i want to do it right. I was wondering if you measure yourself. You could be loosing inches, but putting on muscle.

reading your message made me really upset. i love the band and i no that its hard sometimes but u have lost a lot of weight. and your working out 6 days a week! your gaining muscle thats why you proly havent lost much and think about it.. its good that your not loosing too much while you work out bc that means its working. ur getting more toned. you may not see it now but if you didnt work out and you lost weight you wouldnt look soo good when you were thin. but being you work out your body is gonna look 10xs better then if you didnt. and bypass i have seen failed soooo many times. ppl drop the weight so fast that it goes back on right away. and you cant have any sugar like ever again wth the bypass. and now there is a surgery to help bypass patients loose weight again cause there is such a high percentage of ppl putting weight back on. i hope that makes you think a lil more negatiively about bypass and better about the lap band, it may be coming off slow but its coming off dont gve up.. dont go back to ur old ways you can do it. trust me you can!

I had my surgery done exactly one month ago tomorrow, and I am so glad I had it done. Although I haven't lost tons of weight, I feel better than I have in a long time. I have more energy, and I am beginning to see people notice that I am losing inches if not a lot of pounds. I also have been able to stand not taking my pain meds for my degenerative back disease, and it has been eight years since I have been taking those meds. I lost weight prior to surgery, and weighed 375 or so the day of surgery. I am one month out and down to 346 and very proud of that loss. I have four more weeks to go until my first fill, because my doctor does not do fills before eight weeks. I am hungry often, but I am trying to eat a healthy diet and so far it is working. Don't give up, we can do this!:blink:

Rebecca: I am also a patient at CCS; Dr. Newman is my doc. I had to wait 10 weeks for the first fill (sept 16), and my 2nd is scheduled for the day before Thanksgiving :). Hang in there. I am still working hard, even though the weight loss has slowed, I am in this for the long haul! :)