Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What can't you eat after you are banded?

What foods have you either been told by your doctor to avoid or have had problems with?

Just curious. thanks.

_Summer_

What foods have you either been told by your doctor to avoid or have had problems with?

Just curious. thanks.

_Summer_

My band is not tight, so I can eat most anything, even Pasta, bread (toasted whole wheat) and pizza. I just eat a lot less of it. I do not eat meat that is dry. If it is dry, or reheated, then I have a problem. I have not tried to eat lettuce, but my friend who is banded, eats it all the time. Oh, and for some reason, scrambled eggs seem to stick, so I eat them fried.

The key to being able to eat a variety of foods, is not being overfilled. I was banded a year ago in July and I only have 2ccs in my band. I can overeat if I TRY. The key is to put the serving you should have on your plate and eat that. You will be surprised to find that it is satisfying. I eat 1200-1500 calories per day. Some people eat less and that is great for them. That would make me feel like I was always on a diet, and that is not what I want. I love my band and the control over food that it gives me. Good luck in your journey with your band!:(

I am 15 weeks out and I can eat anything. There are things I have to be more careful with such as thick chicken breasts, pizza, raw veggies, etc. I love pizza and miss it so I buy the Healthy Choice, Smart ones, etc pizza. They are soo good and healthy. They also have around 20-30g of Protein in one pizza! The bread doesnt affect me as long as I chew real good! I feel that my bad in at its sweet spot because I was sooo tight I couldnt swallow my spit and have had 2 unfills and i feel good now. Takes time for your stomach to adjust but dont give up thing you want, just be creative and portion control!!

(Note that someone started a thread similar to this a few days ago.)

I can't eat bread (but I can eat toast) or anything doughy, but I do fine with lettuce. I found out last week that I absolutely cannot eat grape tomatoes. The only time I have thrown up is when I ate a grape Tomato last week. OMG that hurt!

My advice is to chew, chew, chew as you add solids back into your diet. You will know when you cannot tolerate something.

Not a food but my Dr and nutritionist both said GUM.

they said if I swallow it I could cause a blockage that is harder to clear than food.

However, I have Sjogren's syndrom, and autoimmune disease that causes dry mouth, eyes, etc... I have to chew gum to get saliva, otherwise my mouth dries out so bad that my toungue cracks.

I haven't chewed anything yet because with teh sipping every 15 minutes I have been able to handle the dry mouth, but when I am cutting my liquids to normal servings instead of constantly drinking I am sure I will need gum

either gum or hard candy works but I know gum is much better for me losing weight.

It's been 8 days since I was banded and I don't have any fill in my band yet. I have eased my way back into some foods, for instance, I had 1 slice of pizza for dinner and just chewed it very well. I've been trying to go easy on my stomach and eat things like Soup, yogurt, applesauce, etc. But a co-worker was able to eat subway sandwiches up until the Dr. filled her band.

Sarabrent: The reason you can eat pizza w/o problems right now is that you don't have a fill yet. As you get your fills, you'll see a huge difference in what you can eat. Be careful with bread unless it's toasted.

I can eat anything. I've had 4 or 5 fills, but I don't have good restriction yet.

You have to know that everyone who is banded is different. Some people choose to keep their band very tight. I do not. I'm with crzytchr and like to eat a little more. I feel I'm at my sweet spot (which varies from person to person). I have never thrown up or Pb'd as bandsters put it. I have never slimed. I simply get full on smaller portions.

I have trouble with popcorn and fruit skin and both are due to digestion problems. I can eat them but I choose not to because I get really bad stomach cramping if I do.

I've been banded for a year, and have what I consider perfect restriction. The only foods I always stay away from are stingy veggies (ex. celery, asparagus stalks). I can eat pizza, Pasta, lean steak, bread, popcorn, shrimp to name a few items people often think will be off the menu once they reach good restriction. I only eat 1/2 cup meals, so I'm not eating large amounts of any food. I also don't chew much more than normal, but I am cautious when something doesn't chew up well, (TMI alert, I've slyly - at least I hope - spit out a piece of steak into my napkin on occasion when it doesn't chew up well), and while I take smaller bites than I used to, they're not baby bites. I refer to them as ladylike bites..lol With this level of restriction, I can pretty much eat anything I want, but 1/2 cup meals keep me satisfied for several hours..generally 4+.

I also can't put milk on my Cereal. I only tried it once, and it went down very painfully. I eat 1/2 cup dry Khashi w/ Protein & Fiber every day..but dry.