Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 day post op - already hungry?

soo i had my op done yesterday and got home today. I am not really in toooo much pain just a bit of discomfort. but I REALLY REALLY WANT FOOD! thats all i want. i would die for some Soup or mushy tuna... or fish.

but i have 14 DAYS ON CLEAR FLUIDS.

I also don't know how much is too much to drink?

I am also confused why i only have 3 incisions??

Really need support as I don't have much at home.

I am 18 years old - and took this journey cause I didn't want to be 20 and 20 kilos over weight!

i AM now just anxious that maybe i didn't make the right decision. I am just soooo hungry.. so maybe this isnt going to work.

eeek.

Take an alcoholics stance on this--take it day to day.

It's very important that you don't move your diet ahead any faster then the doctor tells you to. That being said, after 7 days or so on clear liquid--call them (if you haven't already had a follow up by then) and ask them if you can have more at that point. You have to give yourself time to heal.

I was pretty hungry by day 3 or so also. I know the feeling, most of us here do.

Try very hard to keep yourself busy, do light housework around the house, paint something, take the dog for lots of walks, do something to keep your mind off your stomach

Good luck dear

Hi, I am now one week post-op, and I too was hungry very early on. My surgeon explained to me that it's really important to stay on fluids, since scar tissue has to form on the stomach where the band was placed, to keep it where it needs to be when you start eating real food again. Eating real food right now can cause your stomach to move, and there is a risk the band will move too. If the band is in the wrong place, it's either not going to work properly and you won't lose weight, or it will be up too high and you might not be able to eat anything at all. The liquid phase can be unpleasant - I hate Soups and shakes - but in the long run it will be worth it. Hang in there!

Welcome to LBT, aminorharmony and anewbear. :scared2:

It's great that your doctor explained the reason behind the liquid diet, anb. Knowing that it serves a very important purpose to our long term health, and that it's not just a devilish diet plan to torture the newly banded, helps a bunch.

amh, I think a call back to your doctor's office is in order. You should have exact instructions on how much you should be drinking daily. If after a week on Clear liquids, you feel like you are starving, you could also ask if would let you move on to thicker liquids. They might not, but it's worth asking.

I don't know why only three incisions. I think five is the norm, but I've heard as high as seven, and as few as one.

Hunger during post-op is no indication that this won't work for you. It's perfectly normal, and chances are you just don't have as much swelling as some, so the liquid isn't staying in your pouch very long. You may feel so hungry you could gnaw on the sole of your shoe, but not having too much swelling is a good thing.