Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What am I doing wrong???

Ok I had a fill on 9/19/05 since then I haven't been able to eat real food...mushies and very soft foods are ok and of course liquids. The first week I lost like 7 pounds and last week 1.6 this week so far I have gained 4 oz. I get sick with almost ever meal..well slime for 30 mins or so and then sometimes PB well ok most of the time. If I drink enough liquid each day I don't eat much because there is no room...if I eat then I don't drink alot. I think I have acid reflux starting because when I get up in the morning my throat is so sore and the other night I wake up with a burning sensation.

So my question is...why I am gaining and not lossing like crazy? Also could I be to tight? I hear just as much as .2cc can make a huge difference.

I don't go back to the doctor until the 27th but I am wondering if I should try to go sooner?

Go sooner! You are too tight. Just .4cc unfill made a huge difference for me. I lasted 4 days with your symptoms of only being able to eat mushies and liquids. I didn't wait for reflux symptoms to start...time for a very small unfill. Yep.

And, 8.6 pounds in 2 weeks IS losing like crazy.

Chew Tums for the Reflux, or get some chewable Pepcid AC until your unfill. Those symptoms are for sure reflux which indicates a too tight band. I had the burning throat. It was awful. And I had NO fill at the time so the meds and time were the only thing to help.

I can find some links to old threads if you want, but consider your research done. Your band is a smidge too tight.

I'm no expert and have never had a fill but I have been reading this website for a year and after all I've read I'm pretty darn sure you are filled too tight and you need to go to your doc ASAP! Take care!

Gained 4 oz??? Kim, honestly, you can gain 4 oz drinking a glass of water!! For crying out loud, this is not a "gain."

I just had to comment on that. Yes, you have reflux, and yes, a slight unfill will fix it. That's MUCH more important than a "gain" of 4 ozs. Yikes!!

As far as your question about why you're not losing weight right now, your body is having the classic starvation reaction because you're not getting in enough calories. It's holding onto the fat because it's afraid you're never going to feed it again. You need to be getting in 1000 - 1200 cals a day. I was just like you - during my first week post-op I lost 8 lbs, and then I gained a pound my second week of liquids. I was only getting in about 800 cals a day and it was sooo frustrating to not lose more weight, so I feel your pain! Eat more cals, even if it's a Protein shake. Kathy's right though - you are losing like crazy if you look at your overall loss!

Also, I second what everyone else is saying. Time for an unfill as soon as possible.

Yup, you are too tight. And thinking you have a 4 oz gain is crazy talk. I think by taking a really deep breath you can "gain" weight.

Here is an excerpt from the Inamed handbook that is valuable to your situation

With the Lap Band system in place, you should be able to eat only small ammount so the food you eat should be as healthy as possible. Do not fill your stomach pouch with :junk: food that lacks Vitamins and other important nutrients. Your meals should be high in Protein and Vitamins and low in carbs. solid food is more important then

liquid food or soft food. The lap Band system will have little or no effect if you only eat liquid or soft food. It passes through the stomach outlet very quickly and does not make you feel full.

Here is another excerpt form the book

If the adjustment (fill) results in too tight of a stomach opening you could have a hard time eating most foods, sometimes this causes people to avoid solid foods. They may drink liquid meals or soft food meals and this may result in weight gain. A band that is too tight may cause reflux symptoms and can also cause frequent vomiting.

Sounds to me that your band may be a tad too tight..you should be able to eat solidsand still lose weight. Having as little as .1 or .2 cc's removed will give you releif and able to eat solids while still lose weight..a band that is too tight is at greater risk of slipping.. if it were me I would call my doctor and have a small ammount of saline removed.

First let me say I wasn't complaining about a 4 oz gain I was just stating that instead of lossing the scale is going the wrong way for what and the amount that I was eating.

Second thanks for all your advice.....I called the Dr and they are working me in on Monday so relief is near. It's horrible...we can't go out without me sending half the time in the bathroom.

Again thanks for all your input and I know that I will be MUCH better on monday!!

Yes it sure sounds like you are too tight and need to get a little taken out. Reflux seems to be a symptom that you are too tight.

Take care, let us know how you are doing when you go back to the doc, ok?

HI all...well I had .3 removed today...I am on liquids for 2 days and then mushies. Let's hope this time I can get off mushies. Thanks for your help...it made me call the Dr and actually get checked.

Kim, good for you for being the responsible bandster, many in your shoes would risk the tightness for the weight loss and rsik damage to their band. I'm happy for you that you went in and had a little removed. .3 removed will make a huge difference in you being able to eat solids but yet still lose weight and releive the reflux. Lets us know how it feels once you get to solids :P