Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

new and in need of advise

Hello,

My name is shi and I am new to the site. I had my surgery on 5/14/09 and i have lost 48pds so far. I am in need of help with finding foods that have high Protein and Snacks that are good for me. I was never big on cooking so this has me stuck band has me stuck 90% of the time. could anyone give me some tips on what / how to cook certain things. I don't eat much dairy due to getting sick from it. I really want to know different ways to cook fish and chicken.

In need of some help...:mad:

shi

thank you in advance

Hi, shi, and welcome to LBT. Congratulations on your weight loss! You're doing great.

This forum should give you lots of good ideas:

Cooking, Baking and recipes - LAP-BAND®

I clicked on "Search this Forum" at the top right hand corner of the Cooking, Baking and recipes thread and ran a search first for chicken and then fish and selected "show posts":

chicken - LAP-BAND®

Fish - LAP-BAND®

Edited by kiz

For Snacks, I use Kay's Naturals (kaysnaturals.com). They have high Protein cereals and Snacks. The cereals come in four flavors (they look like Cheerios) and come in one serving 100 cal bags or in a larger size. I have trouble sizing up a portion, so I get the small bags. They come packed 12 to a box and they frequently have specials. The snacks come in small bags too. The nutritional label is for a 1oz serving, but the snacks are 1.5oz bags, so you need to do a little math, but they are 10 or more grams Protein each. They have lots of flavors from slightly sweet to salty, in pretzels and protein chips. I keep them at home and at work to help keep me from snacking on other stuff.

I also drink a Protein shake almost every day, at least during the week. I use a ready made one, Worldwide Protein shakes (Vitamin Shoppe) but they are milk based, so I don't know if you could tolerate them. They have 35g protein. They also come in 21g and Target has started selling the 21's. If you need a non-dairy Protein Shake, try nectar. It is a powder that comes in a variety of flavors. Some of the flavors mix with milk, but many mix with Water, like the fruity flavors. Vitamin Shoppe has a big selection of protein powders. Aslo unjury comes in plain and chicken Soup flavors. The other flavors mix with milk. The chicken Soup is like a chicken broth but higher in protein. The plain can be mixed in foods you are fixing to bump up the protein content. The site is unjury.com

As for chicken, I am not real creative, but I like chicken. I buy big bags of frozen breasts at costco, and I will grill up about 6 of them at a time in olive oil and store in the fridge. Then I hardboil about 6 eggs and do the same. I buy Romaine hearts and store in those green bags you see advertised (it actually keeps until I finish it). I also keep Parmesan cheese on hand, and light Caesar dressing (Marzetti's Light Supreme Caesar is what I use). I don't like to cook, so many evenings I will fix a chicken Caesar salad. Sometimes I substitute or add stuff, like plum tomatoes, fat free feta cheese instead of Parmesan, and Almond Accents instead of fat free croutons.

Hello,

I am very new to this.. I am not banded yet.. and just going to seminar tonight.. so i am not sure if this recipe helps at all. I hope it does..

baked tilapia

Tilapia filet

season with ..old bay seasoning, salt,pepper, lemon juice, and slice of onion. (you can add garlic too)

cook in a aluminum foil (make a pouch & close it) bake at 350 for about 15-20 min. check tilapi with fork. if it flakes easy then it's done..

enjoy! it's one of my fav's :mad:

Shi, low-fat cottage cheese is packed with Protein....12-13 grams in a half cup. Low fat cheese has about 7 grams per ounce (varies a little per brand).

EASY way to cook meats (and they come out juicy, which is a plus for us!)

Take a sheet of foil

place a boneless/skinless chicken breast or hamburger patty in the center

For chicken, add a tablespoon of chicken broth; for the beef, add a little worcestershire sauce and Water

Top chicken or beef with a few slices of potato, some carrot, some broccoli, a little onion and garlic, a little salt

Fold foil shut, place packet on baking sheet and bake at 350 for about 30 minutes.

Note ... you can cook fish the same way but don't put any vegetables with it because they end up tasting like fish. Just put a little butter flavored spray, seasonings and a little lemon juice (or lime), and bake at 350 for about 15 minutes and then check for doneness. Fish cooks QUICKLY.

I have found a nice cookbook with simple recipes that should be available in bookstores or on Amazon:

Eating Well after Weight Loss Surgery by Patt Levine and Michele Bontempo-Saray.

There are some nice ideas in there for nights when you want to cook, are low-fat and high-Protein, and the book gives serving information specific to LapBand patients.

Shi, low-fat cottage cheese is packed with Protein....12-13 grams in a half cup. Low fat cheese has about 7 grams per ounce (varies a little per brand).

EASY way to cook meats (and they come out juicy, which is a plus for us!)

Take a sheet of foil

place a boneless/skinless chicken breast or hamburger patty in the center

For chicken, add a tablespoon of chicken broth; for the beef, add a little worcestershire sauce and Water

Top chicken or beef with a few slices of potato, some carrot, some broccoli, a little onion and garlic, a little salt

Fold foil shut, place packet on baking sheet and bake at 350 for about 30 minutes.

Note ... you can cook fish the same way but don't put any vegetables with it because they end up tasting like fish. Just put a little butter flavored spray, seasonings and a little lemon juice (or lime), and bake at 350 for about 15 minutes and then check for doneness. Fish cooks QUICKLY.

Thank you so much for your msg... I will try that this weekend. I am not a dairy eater I get sick from it . so that knocks me out of the easy cheese Proteins .

Again thank you so much for your msg.

shi

I have found a nice cookbook with simple recipes that should be available in bookstores or on Amazon:

Eating Well after Weight Loss Surgery by Patt Levine and Michele Bontempo-Saray.

There are some nice ideas in there for nights when you want to cook, are low-fat and high-Protein, and the book gives serving information specific to LapBand patients.

Thank you i have checked out the book. however, Im not big on cooking and not that much experience. It has a lot of creamy and cheese in the meals, which cancels me out.

again thank you for leaving a msg .

shi

Thank you so much for your msg... I will try that this weekend. I am not a dairy eater I get sick from it . so that knocks me out of the easy cheese Proteins .

Again thank you so much for your msg.

shi

Hello,

I am very new to this.. I am not banded yet.. and just going to seminar tonight.. so i am not sure if this recipe helps at all. I hope it does..

baked tilapia

Tilapia filet

season with ..old bay seasoning, salt,pepper, lemon juice, and slice of onion. (you can add garlic too)

cook in a aluminum foil (make a pouch & close it) bake at 350 for about 15-20 min. check tilapi with fork. if it flakes easy then it's done..

enjoy! it's one of my fav's :scared2:

Thank you I will try this next week.