Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded 9/21/09 and I am home!

Hello all

I was banded yesterday and feel like I have been hit by a mack truck! Or that I have the flu, which I am sure is not the case. It is just that every muscle or joint in my body hurts. Which, I am sure is the gas that they pumped into my body.

Apparently my liver was REALLY fatty. Which makes me feel awful, cuz I cheated twice on the pre-op, once for pizza and then had a cheeseburger for my "last meal" the day before surgery. But I still managed to lose 14 lbs. I dunno what to feel.

I think I am going to hit the sack tonight, cuz all I am doing is sleeping on the couch, and then start tomorrow as a new day. The first day of the rest of my life!

So far, so good!

It sounds cliche', but getting up and walking around (as you can tolerate it) really is the best thing for the soreness / gas.

I was banded yesterday and did a lot of walking around. I dont feel so bad this morning, but I am taking my hydrocodone. I was surprised how good I felt yesterday, but my SIL reminded me I had 2 cups of liquid pain killer and a shot of it into my IV after surgery. Usually I am not one to take pain killers, but since I felt o good yesterday I kept sippin it today.

Good luck sweetie, I hope you get to feelin real good soon.

Congrats on getting banded. Your journey has begun to a healthier life and a skinner one.

I urge you to get up and walk as much as possible. The gas will pass easier and your joints won't hurt as much either. Take your pain meds when needed.

Good luck on your journey. Don't become discouraged. It's worth it all.

Thanks for all the good wishes. I'm still at the hospital, everything was exceptionally except for the nursing staff second shift, but the nurses on the other shifts were great and I can't see enough about the surgical team. I am clausterphobic, so they knocked me out before the mask which was great and we had a long talk before surgery, he said he put medicines in to for nausua and gas and I have to tell him, I had slight discomfort with the shoulder yesterday its all gone. No nausua, having no issue with Water, the heprin shot were no issue no burning, my throat is soar from the tube but nothing to complain about. They say I should be released this evening. Haven't done the dye test yet. Got up and walkied even did the little stairs they have here in the hall no problem. The staff has said my incisions look great and when the surgeon went out to meet my husband and mom he said it went remarkedly well. One thing I am finding as alot of you said, the more I rest the better I feel, I'm not pushing it but it doesn't feel like major surgery at all, of course when I get home without the morphine that might change, but all in all, like I said previously, it mostly just feels like doing over 100 crunches and port side is just a little soar but no great pain. Happy Hump day everyone.

Hola... I was banded yesterday 9/22 and was home by 4pm. I felt better than I expected too, of course I was still on pain meds. This morning I felt okay n just a little sore but nothing I can't take. My surgeon suggested I take Gas-X strips right after I got discharged n every few hours as directed to help with the gas n I think it has. My shoulder hurts now n then but not as bad as right after surgery. I took an Aleve just now because the pain med puts me too sleep... Good luck to everyone just banded and I am also so excited about my new life :tongue2:

Hello all

I was banded yesterday and feel like I have been hit by a mack truck! Or that I have the flu, which I am sure is not the case. It is just that every muscle or joint in my body hurts. Which, I am sure is the gas that they pumped into my body.

Apparently my liver was REALLY fatty. Which makes me feel awful, cuz I cheated twice on the pre-op, once for pizza and then had a cheeseburger for my "last meal" the day before surgery. But I still managed to lose 14 lbs. I dunno what to feel.

I think I am going to hit the sack tonight, cuz all I am doing is sleeping on the couch, and then start tomorrow as a new day. The first day of the rest of my life!

So far, so good!

I was banded on Friday the 18th and was a little sore the next morning however I did get up and go because that's just how I am and haven't had much pain.

Thanks for the props everyone! So excited for this journey! Gonna go have some ff cream of chicken Soup now!

Hello all

So far, so good!

JenFenRen - you sound like you have the same thing that happened to me. They use a certain anesthetic to intubate you and relax your muscle and for many that results in the feeling that you had a bootcamp workout. It was worse than the surgery pain - its bad enough you have no core strength but my neck muscles hurt , delts, legs everything. It will go away in two days. and yes keep walking. the worst thing you can do for muscle soreness is nothing you will get stiffer and stiffer.

hmarko - that is exactly what I feel! And to top it all off, I am coughing from fall allergies! At this point, I dont care too much because I KNOW that this is the right decision for me!

JenFenRen - you sound like you have the same thing that happened to me. They use a certain anesthetic to intubate you and relax your muscle and for many that results in the feeling that you had a bootcamp workout. It was worse than the surgery pain - its bad enough you have no core strength but my neck muscles hurt , delts, legs everything. It will go away in two days. and yes keep walking. the worst thing you can do for muscle soreness is nothing you will get stiffer and stiffer.

I agree - the best thing I have done is get up and keep moving when I felt pain or discomfort. I've learned that most of the pain is gas :-)

The day after I was banded I thought....wow, will I ever feel better than I do now? I was quite despondent. But I did feel better the next day, and today I went shopping for a little while.

Unless I have too much liquid too fast, I'm discomfort free right now.

That is exactly what I am feeling too.....glad it isn't jut me. Also the gas pain after I drink something is really bad! No pain in my shoulder etc....so hopefully on the mend!

Gonna go walk now!!

Ok I know that this is gross, but has anyone banded this week had a bowel movement yet? I am having problems discerning the port pain vs hunger pangs vs gas in the bowels.... Have you taken a laxative? And if so, which one?

I was banded Tuesday and have BMs just about everyday although it hasn't been anything solid if you get my drift lol... Again I've been taking Gas-X strips every 4-6 hours so haven't had too much gas pain other than last night, but it wasn't too bad. I did the bowel cleanse day before surgery and since I'm only having liquids now I was expecting to have significant BMs... I know everyones different but I thought this week would be horrible based on some of my previous forum readings... But I also have to be strong because my bf is having his done in a few months and I don't want to scare him lol... I'm a tough broad hehe

I was also banded on 9/21 and am doing significantly better today than yesterday and the day before, etc. I haven't had much for gas pains, I think I've taken 2 chewable gas-x pills total since Monday. I haven't been walking as much as I should, but I did do about 3/4 mile this morning up and down hills.

In terms of BMs, I had my first one yesterday morning and like WonderWmn, unfortunately my body hasn't figured out how to make a solid out of a liquid. I anticipate this to get better once I'm in the mushy phase and can eat something with substance. Oh and I know when I'm hungry because my stomach starts growling like it hasn't had a meal in decades. My surgeon told me though to just get down as much fluids as I can this week and not worry about "meals".