Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

BANDED: What's your "diet"??

Do you follow a specific diet (i.e. Atkins, south beach) or do you eat whatever you want (per your band), but in smaller portions?

Not really. I eat whatever the band likes. It does not care for bread, rice, chicken, broccoli sometimes, oh there is a whole list of stuff. I try to watch carbs after all of that. When all else fails drink your Water to stary hydrated and drink your Protein Shakes for your nutrients. There will be somedays that "bandy" won't let you have anything but liquids.< /p>

i did a modified Atkins the and thats when i lost the most of my weight. it was DR approved. my band dr said he wished all his patients did because you get results.

now i still have a pretty good amount i would like to lose but i am not doing ANY diet. i do log my calories on fitday a lot of days and have goals for my calorie intake but i am not following a diet.

the main issues i had with atkins or atkins like diets was CONSTIPATION!!! yuck! as bandsters we eat smaller amounts so some people get constipated from that and when you add a low carb diet to that it can really back things up. i never thought about poop as much in my life.

i still eat low carb Pasta (dreamfields), use low carb wraps, low carb bread and buy the south beach 100 cal. packs of crackers but its because i like the taste and they are better for you than the original version.

another side effect is you become accustomed to the higher calorie rich foods you are allowed. this becomes a problem when you start introducing carbs back into your diet.

a diet is a GREAT way to use your tool. the 'non-diet' is also a GREAT way.

at first you will have so many restrictions with HOW to eat that it will seem like a diet on its own!

michelle

I'm going to do my best to get rid of the diet mentality to be honest. I dont want to think about calories etc for ever. I think its inevitable that I will have to in order to keep weight coming off steadily though - Weight Watches works for me. I know the points value of every food in the modern world, its relatively easy.

I'm not doing anything crackpot though - I plan on a normal family diet in smaller quantities - to me that means plenty of fruit and vegetables and watch the processed carbs, always allowing of course for foods that I may not be able to tolerate.

I don't follow any diet. I have learned over the years that I'm not very good at that. I eat Protein and veggies for my meals. I only eat on a saucer so that I don't overload my plate. It works for me. I just cook for my husband and eat the same things. Whatever works for a person is what they should use. I estimate that I am probably eating less than half of what I used to eat. It is almost embarrassing in a way because we have so much more leftovers than before. A loaf of bread lasts a week. I usually end up throwing it out or giving it to the ducks.

Carrie

222/201/125

Yeah, I'm wondering how I'm going to explain the gazillions of dollars in the bank when I'm no longer buying cappucinos and muffins all week. I reckon it will be almost like feeding a whole less person in the family - Eliza (who's 2 and a half) and I will probably share one person's portion.

when im banded im just going to have normal healthy meals and prob do the weight watchers points things too.

I will make sure that i eat propley but i dunno how i will go about counting calories

The only diet I follow is really what was on the sheet that my doctor gave to me. The liquid diet for the 1st 48 hours and then after that for this 1st month I only eat:

Breakfast: 1-2 eggs scrambled

1 package of grits

omelette (no meat)

1 package of oatmeal

(any of the above)

Lunch: Soup at Hand

1 can of tuna or one of the flavored packages w/mayo, salt, pepper

small salad

or any fish

Dinner: Any baked fish or salmon

steamed veggies

Snacks: Jell-o w/fat free whipped topping

fat free pudding

cottage cheese

applesauce

popiscles/fudgsicles (sugar free)

fat free frozen strawberry yogurt w/whipped cream

This is just a example but check with your doctor...He told me for the 1st month to stay away from beef, veal, pork, chicken and to try salads 2 weeks after.

No bread, Pasta, rice, corn...even though it is a starch I stillhave mashed potatos since they are soft. I also found that Viactiv makes a Multi-Vitamin now and that is alot better than drinking Centrum! It's like having a chocolate! Plenty of Water and hot tea has helped me....and NO sodas! juices are great but you might want to dilute them in the beginning. Hope this helps!

Good luck on your band!

I also found that Viactiv makes a Multi-Vitamin now and that is alot better than drinking Centrum! It's like having a chocolate!

Be sure that you're still getting enough Iron in your system because Viactiv doesn't have Iron. Good luck to you!

No "diet" here. I just make sure I get in lean protien first, then veggies, and carbs if I have any room left. My Snacks are usually fruit, or *blush* air poped popcorn. I make sure I drink my 2ltrs of Water a day. Still drink coffee, and have the odd naughty snack (I am sure we all do)

I am focused on creating a healthy lifestyle, one I can sustain long after the weight is off.

Guest j. lynn

Nope. Protein first. Then veggies. No drinking with meals. No white fluffy bread (band doesn't like it).

jayme

I have two diets. The first is my "midterm" or "final exam" diet. During this time (now) I eat and drink whatever I need in order to get my studies done. In other words, more coffee, frappucinos, and sugar munchies than I can be imagined. It is a messy paradox. On one hand, Starbucks is liquid death and liquit brain food. I think I am addicted.

I eat what I want, or the band allows...

But I DO Do some things..

I buy grape juice light. It half the calories, carbs and sugar as real grape juice.< /p>

I am so picky about juice (100%) and I am amazed at how much it taste like real grape juice.. enouph for me to always buy it lite now.

I buy lite OJ.. I was also amazed at how much it taste like real OJ..

I buy 1% milk...

I drink alot of juice and milk.. I CANNOT drink no carb drinks as substitutes.

I am real happy these lite juices were invented.

I buy the reduced fat kettle corn.

I buy low fat grahm crackers

I buy non fat cream cheese

I bought sugar free rasberry Syrup to pour into lite lemonaid.

I buy 7% lean burger or turkey burger

lunch meat is always one gram of fat or less

But I dont eat any of that...

What I should do..

use Water in my tomatoe Soup instead of milk

eat low fat AND low carb Soup like cream of chicken (I love tomatoe)

eat a lean cuisine or south beach premade dinnner

snack on the grahm crackers and popcorn (not Cookies and cheetos)

Be sure my sherbert is litest or sorbet