Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2-3 weeks post op and gained weight

PS somewhere on this board someone mentioned sparkpeople is great for tracking I have been using it - its great!

I am very interested. Is that sparkpeople.com?

I track on thedailyplate.com. I have used sparkpeople and I've also used fitday. They all do the job. dailyplate has a lot more foods in their database, so that's why I landed there.

I did not gain weight switching to mushies, but I have stalled since the first week or so. It is hard. I am hungry (was banded 9/1). Here is what I eat on a good day:

1. Breakfast: 1 packet Weight Control oatmeal with berries and 1% milk (this oatmeal has more protein). (260 cals total)

2. Lunch: Lean Cuisine - something mushy and high Protein like meatloaf and mashed potatoes. (250 cals)

3. Snack: 1 or 2 low-fat string cheese (120 cals for 2)

4. Dinner: Boca burger, no bread, with salsa and tomatoes (160 cals); 1/2 cup low fat ricotta cheese with marinara sauce and a sprinkle of parmesan, microwaved. (about 140 cals). Total dinner: about 300 cals.

5. Another possible snack - Atkins Protein Bar, 150 cals.

So this is about 1100-1200 calories, and nearly 80 grams of Protein, believe it or not.

I am also exercising every other day (running/hiking for 40-45 mins). This helps.

But, on a bad day I add in stuff I don't need, like crackers. :tongue2:

Can't wait for that first fill. Hang in there, we will lose this weight eventually!:)

I did not gain weight switching to mushies, but I have stalled since the first week or so. It is hard. I am hungry (was banded 9/1). Here is what I eat on a good day:

1. Breakfast: 1 packet Weight Control oatmeal with berries and 1% milk (this oatmeal has more protein). (260 cals total)

2. Lunch: Lean Cuisine - something mushy and high Protein like meatloaf and mashed potatoes. (250 cals)

3. Snack: 1 or 2 low-fat string cheese (120 cals for 2)

4. Dinner: Boca burger, no bread, with salsa and tomatoes (160 cals); 1/2 cup low fat ricotta cheese with marinara sauce and a sprinkle of parmesan, microwaved. (about 140 cals). Total dinner: about 300 cals.

5. Another possible snack - Atkins Protein Bar, 150 cals.

So this is about 1100-1200 calories, and nearly 80 grams of Protein, believe it or not.

I am also exercising every other day (running/hiking for 40-45 mins). This helps.

But, on a bad day I add in stuff I don't need, like crackers. :thumbdown:

Can't wait for that first fill. Hang in there, we will lose this weight eventually!:thumbup:

When did you go on solids? Did that feel any more filling? or any different? I am hoping so but probably not since we need to chew to the pureed point anyway. I am at about the same calories. I'm going to average it out for the week once I've logged it for a week. but its about 80 or more grams of protein, 35 grams of fat is what I aim for (unless I had too much of the ricotta thing); anywhere from 30-50 grams of carbs the less the better for me... but i have not had any greens and i'm feeling like i miss that.

When did you go on solids? Did that feel any more filling? or any different? I am hoping so but probably not since we need to chew to the pureed point anyway. I am at about the same calories. I'm going to average it out for the week once I've logged it for a week. but its about 80 or more grams of Protein, 35 grams of fat is what I aim for (unless I had too much of the ricotta thing); anywhere from 30-50 grams of carbs the less the better for me... but i have not had any greens and i'm feeling like i miss that.

My doctor's list of "mushies" was very liberal. It included soft meats (like meatloaf, fish) and many other things that are not strictly mushy. So I started this stuff at 2 weeks post-op. It does feel more filling, for sure. But not quite enough (hence the need for a fill!)

Seems like two really key parts of getting the weight loss going is exercise and drinking lots and lots of water/fluids. I am not great at the Water thing, but just today drank a ton of Water and lost a pound! I think my body retains water when it is not hydrated enough.

How are you doing?

My doctor's list of "mushies" was very liberal. It included soft meats (like meatloaf, fish) and many other things that are not strictly mushy. So I started this stuff at 2 weeks post-op. It does feel more filling, for sure. But not quite enough (hence the need for a fill!)

Seems like two really key parts of getting the weight loss going is exercise and drinking lots and lots of water/fluids. I am not great at the Water thing, but just today drank a ton of Water and lost a pound! I think my body retains water when it is not hydrated enough.

How are you doing?

i was down like 20 lbs after the surgery while on liquids soon as I went to mushies I gained about 2-3 lbs. Holding steady there but that is ok not stressing. I did the math and I should not have lost that weight but only 12 lbs - so I must have lost some muscle which weighs more than fat is all I can think.

I am really great about the water i keep a 1 liter bottle filled at my desk and i drink 2-3 of them.

I need to hit the gym though - i am just walking about 1.5 miles a day which is better than nothing but not really enough.

PS its all that ricotta cheese - i never even saw any low fat at the store! just skim and whole milk!

I made chili today - that is about 200 cals a cup low fat. Used lean beef, kidney Beans, tomoto sauce and Indian spices. Really good - and the refried Beans is another really good one! filling and really yummy. And that has some carbs and no fat too.

How much fat are you staying to? I try and stay to about 35g but have gone up to 60 on the ricotta days. Calories are about 1100 to 1300 mostly on the lower end of that. And Protein I really try to keep at over 80 grams. I am going to add flax seed meal because I was posting about the Omega 3's and saw all the posts on hair loss - i have thin hair to being with!

Hello everyone! I had my surgery on sept 1st... My doc moved me to soft foods, and haven't lost any weight... in fact I gained 4 pounds... I feel like I am a failure :(...

well, to start with the first 2 weeks I was so swollen, I couldn't get anything down, not much Water, no Protein shakes at all. Then I started eating nonfat Dannon plain yogurt and the swelling went away 2 days later. Now I'm on soft foods and I feel like I don't have any control. I gained weight!

I eat 3 meals a day, no snacking even though they say to eat 6 mini meals a day during this stage... for instance for Breakfast I would have a light babybel cheese with 4 kashi tlc crackers or have a Protein shake, lunch I have a cup of nonfat cottage cheese, and for dinner I would have 2 pieces of gefilte fish (quick and easy)

yesterday I went to the renaissance faire and had a scoop of muscle milk Cookies and cream with 2 cups of nonfat milk for Breakfast, and for lunch had a bread bowl of brocolli and cheese Soup minus the bread,and a bite of my husbands turkey leg, and for dinner we went to applebees for and i had a whole french onion Soup and about 5 tbs of loaded mashed...i got on the scale and gained 2 extra pounds... yesterday, i had no control and didnt feel full at all...

now, im depressed:frown: and don't know what to do, where to begin... I feel like Im the only one in this situation and I'm not even 3 weeks out... I see other people posting that they are losing weight, i need some motivation and some tips, help!?????

I would put money you are experiencing Water weight gain. Most of the foods you described are high in salt when you have been on an extremely limited diet.

PS its all that ricotta cheese - i never even saw any low fat at the store! just skim and whole milk!

I made chili today - that is about 200 cals a cup low fat. Used lean beef, kidney Beans, tomoto sauce and Indian spices. Really good - and the refried Beans is another really good one! filling and really yummy. And that has some carbs and no fat too.

How much fat are you staying to? I try and stay to about 35g but have gone up to 60 on the ricotta days. Calories are about 1100 to 1300 mostly on the lower end of that. And Protein I really try to keep at over 80 grams. I am going to add flax seed meal because I was posting about the Omega 3's and saw all the posts on hair loss - i have thin hair to being with!

Funny, I made chili last week and ate it almost every day! Tasty!

I have not been keeping track of fat grams, and I am not tracking at all on the weekends (not the best strategy). I have my first fill this Wednesday, just hoping for that restriction!

I agree with Minimeme - it's likely to be Water weight. I have been on Soups and lovethem, but they are very high in salt. I'm going to have to change that habit!!