Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why am I suddenly getting heartburn??

During the night last night I was kept awake all night with heartburn. I havn't been able to take in much Fluid today and definitly no food. Anyone tell me .. what the???:

Wow, no response? WTH? Heartburn is usually the first sign that you are too tight. I started having it a year ago and have been monkeying with my restriction ever since. Still got the heartburn. I'm going in for an EGD this Friday.

How are you feeling now? Were you able to get to the bottom of it?

Hi Suzanne,

Yeah it got a little bit better that time and I kept on soldiering on, but then just this week it happened again. So I just had some fill taken out yesterday. Instant relief. I am just worried I might eat too much though. Time will tell....:thumbup:

I'm glad the reduction in fill took care of it. My doc has to take all my Fluid out for the is endoscopy and said he won't put it back in if he doesn't like what he sees. That scares me to death! I'm hoping he won't hav eto do that.

Hi Suzanne- What were the results of the endoscopy?

I finally made an appt to see my doc after suffering from heartburn for the past week that just came out of nowhere... I've had my bad since June 08 and have never felt like this before. I am having trouble keeping liquids down, my pouch feels constantly full, my throat hurts and strange gurgly noises are coming from my chest.

Hi Suzanne- What were the results of the endoscopy?

I finally made an appt to see my doc after suffering from heartburn for the past week that just came out of nowhere... I've had my bad since June 08 and have never felt like this before. I am having trouble keeping liquids down, my pouch feels constantly full, my throat hurts and strange gurgly noises are coming from my chest.

I am having acid reflux at night and I just got a call from my dr's nurse about if I was too tight (I can eat solids so I'm not too tight) because of the acid reflux, she said for me to take pepsid (sp). I asked if maybe if the band was slipped she said if it had I would not be able to keep down anything even Water. I agree about calling the dr cause it might be you are too tight and you might need a unfill. Hope all goes well with you.

aimerus, sounds like you may be too tight.

My endo showed a hiatal hernia and gastritis. I was shocked to hear if have a hh because I had one repaired during my lb in Jan 08. I had no idea I could/would get one again so soon.

For the first time I'm disappointed with my lapband doctor. He hasn't even called me to follow up after the endo. He did it while I was WIDE awake (very very little versed), then told me the results right then and there, but nothing about follow-on care.

I called my GP and he gave me another month of Nexium.

Are you feeling any better? Have you tried a couple of days of liquids to see if that helps settle things down a bit?

Hi Suzanne- I too had a hh repair during my surgery in June 08. What exactly is gastritis and is the Nexium for that the hh or both? When are you going to get re-filled? How has it been being unfilled?

This started on Thursday night. Ate too much fish for dinner... On Friday, all I ate was 2 tablespoons of mashed potatoes. I could not keep any liquids down. I was on mushies/liquids on Saturday and liquids Sunday and today. I still feel pretty bad. There is something extra icky about heartburn on an empty stomach. It does seem like my band is too tight but why? I got an unfill back in August because I was having similar symptoms though not this bad. At that time, I had a barium swallow and everything looked fine. Wonder if the next step for me will be an endoscopy? At this point, I'd be totally ok with a complete unfill if it brought me some relief.

This dang lap band is still so mysterious to me at times...

My bariatric doctor did the endo, so he took the Fluid out, did the endo, then put the Fluid right back in since there wasn't a problem with my band. So I have the same amount of fill that I had going in.

It sounds like you are still swollen from your stuck maybe? Have you tried taking liquid ibuprophen? I keep the kids kind on hand for just that situation. Are you also taking something for the heartburn? The Nexium is for both the gastritis and the hh. Gastritis is where the lining of the stomach gets thin. It causes nasuea which I hate, and heartburn, etc.

I think if I were you, I'd give myself another day or two on liquids and if you aren't feeling any better, call your doctor.