Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Im Very Confused I Dont Know What To Do

Hey everyone,

i had an infection in my tummy from a previous operation 3yrs ago.

it was all infected and 2 lumps appeared and was very sore

anyways so i had to go in for an operation. when i woke up from the op the nurse told me that there were 3 stitches left inside me and thats why it was all infected.

I freaked out and thought yuk...how disgusting.

People are now telling me to go and talk to a lawyer about this but i dont know if i should as im not really that kind of person.

What do you all think i should do?

Nah. Stitches are left inside of people all the time. You just happened to be one bothered by it. One of the nurses will check in though, and give you some scoop about the protocol for that. Yes, it's gross to think about yucky stitches in there but suing? I dunno. You'd have to convince me of a case first? Off hand, though, nah. I'm anxoius to hear from a nurse or doc though.

yeah like i said i dont wanna sui the doc, but ppl are telling me to.

I just wanted to get some of your opinions.

i ended up with a hole in my tummy that the infection ate away at.

i now have an open wound which the doc wont stitch up he wants it to heal on its own.

this all needs to heal before he will put the band in

Hmmm, if you're going to have permanent damage or scarring you maybe should think about it in terms of if you have future problems that could get expensive. But of course, you need to find someone who will work on a success basis, in Australia at any rate most people dont have the financial resources to sue over things like that.

I did sue The Glen shopping centre and got $25,000 when I slipped over on spilt ice cream and broke my hand. The only reason I took legal action was I was 7 months pregnant at the time and my BIL who is a solicitor put the idea in my head because I'd had about 10 xrays and 2 lots of surgery in late pregnancy to pin my hand back together and he pointed out I'd need to have started the process if anything turned out to be wrong with my baby as a result.

In the end I had some permanent damage to my left hand which is why I was awarded so much money, if it had have been a simple fractured finger that would have been about $4,000. It is entirely functional again 8 years later (just a tad stiff in my little finger) but it was a possibility that I would never be able to type 100 words a minute again which is how I earned a living at the time.

So its not a matter of whether its a nice thing to do or not, its more a matter of whether there's going to be lasting problems or expensive problems as a result and whether you really are due compensation for that.

firstly, i would like to say isnt this a support group? I have only received one good comment from Jachut.

I came on here for support but seems no one can reply to my thread.

i have decided that i will not post on here anymore as i dont ever get the support i was looking for

Sorry, Fee.

It's just that whether or not to sue is such a personal decision - and Jachut did respond with approx. what I would have said.

Our society is so "Litigation Happy" that for ME, it would have to be permanently damaging, or a huge financial burden caused by it in order for me to sue.

However, if you ARE permanently damaged, or you DO have a huge financial burden due to some error on the part of the surgeon - then by all means seek compensation.

It's really up to you and your circumstances as to whether or not you sue.

I am pretty sure that nobody meant to make you feel unloved - it's just an akward topic for lots of folks.

(((hugs)))

some people have reactions to suture material. If you were heavy when you had a previous surgery they might have used a regular suture vs CatGut which is disolvable so the area would not bust open. Many times when regular suture is used the sutures will work their way out on their own as the body tries to reject them.

lawsuite are based on medical norm. If this is not normal practice then you would have a case. However you would have the burden of proof. Also the pay out would prob be the same as your lawyer fees.

some people have reactions to suture material. If you were heavy when you had a previous surgery they might have used a regular suture vs CatGut which is disolvable so the area would not bust open. Many times when regular suture is used the sutures will work their way out on their own as the body tries to reject them.

lawsuite are based on medical norm. If this is not normal practice then you would have a case. However you would have the burden of proof. Also the pay out would prob be the same as your lawyer fees.

THIS is the info I was looking for...all about sutures and how they are used and whether or not a stitch left in is something that lets you know your doc was negligent or some other "suit" worthy action.

I have been watching this thread...I just didn't know what to say. I'm sorry you are dissappointed, fee. It's not that noone wants to support you, it's just a matter of HOW to do that. Please don't take it personally. And let us know what you decide to do, okay? (((hugs)))

Sorry fee, I didn't realize that you needed an answer RIGHT NOW. Maybe I didn't answer because I don't know the answer, maybe I didn't see your post, maybe I needed to think about it.

I'm terribly sorry you don't feel supported. Sue or not, I don't have an opionion, and I cannot advise you.

In the past, have you not gotten support on issues that we could offer when we could?

good questions, vines. seems like something else might be happening that is upsetting Fee?

Whatever you decide, I hope it works out for you, Fee.

I don't know much of anything about suing for malpractice. I never went to law school, although I was recently on the jury of a murder trial -- so I have plenty of opinion on our justice system here. Don't know the rules in your country. I'd love to come for a visit though!

My only opinion (supportative statement if you want to call it that)... is do what YOU feel is right. Don't let the people who are telling you to do this make up your mind for you.

I hope you heal very quickly. Have you asked the band dr how soon he/she feels you may be able to recover and when they would consider doing your band surgery?

You've posted 228 times in less than 3 months, give everyone a chance to work their way to your thread.

All the best,

Let me start by saying....I AM NOT A LAWYER. You must do what you think is right. However, remember there is a statute of limitations on such actions...from the time you knew or when it happened. Since you only discovered it recently and had no way of knowing before...that starts your time period. I would have to have more info. Depends on if it was the kind that was suppose to dissolve...if so, why didn't it. Maybe a suit against the manufacturer of the suture? If it was suppose to dissolve, your doc probably expected that it would dissolve...so he couldn't predict what would happen either. Either way, if you are going to do something, you should get on the ball. If you decide to not take action, so be it. It's up to you.

And as far as legal fees, most personal injury attorneys take cases on a contingency basis. In other words, if you don't get paid...they don't get paid.

I am not a lawyer, I am a law student but I cannot give legal advice. This is not legal advice. Just some info for you - You would have to prove that doctor was negligent in leaving the stiches in and that his behavior was below the proper duty of care a prudent doctor would have exersized. I don't know if leaving the stitches in is negligent. Attorney's that handle this sort of thing usually offer free consultations so if you have ?'s you should just consult with an attorney.

On another note, my cat had 2 surgeries for "suspicious lumps" which turned out to be scar tissue reaction to the 1st stitches from the 1st real lump/tumor - and I had a phengran shot once and had a lump/bubble for months from a reaction. I'm not sure if your body having a reaction to a stitch is sue-able.

hi Fee

This is the first time I have been on the board all weekend. I guess we have to give people time to read and write, huh?

They make us sign this really complete list of what may happen in surgery. I signed that and then my doc burned a hole in my bladder with a laser instrument. This is a few years ago, when I was having a simple hysterectomy.

I was disabled for six months and had to have reconstructive surgery on my bladder. I was drowing in a mountain of bills that the hospital was sending me and was helpless because of what that hospital did. I called lawyer after lawyer and nobody would take my case.

What a miserabe situation.

If you are interested in pursuing this, you can phone different attorneys specializing in medical suits and ask their opinion. They will probably ask for a copy of your medical records. All you do is call the hospital and order your records from the Medical Records dept. They will have you pay a fee. Then you can forward them to any interested attorney.

My experience is that they are not interested in what they consider to be the 'little things" and will only go after the cases where they amputate the wrong foot!

But good luck, please let us know what you come up with if you choose to pursue this. The attorneys don't charge for the initial phone consultaion.