Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 questions b4 surgery

Hi all

I am having surgery on Mon Sept 21 at 5:30 am. I am very exciting. I have a few questions from those who know what I am about to go thru. First, how bad is the pain when I wake up from the surgery? Second, what type of food or drinks do I need to have home from me when I come from the hospital? And lastly, how long will it be before I eat solid food?

karen

I'm not sure about what your doctor wants so I will tell you what my surgeon had me to do.....but remember just about all surgeons are different and you need to follow the restrictions that your doctor gives you. When you wake up from surgery you will be hurting but the pain meds work really good. You will be sore for a couple of days...some more than others but I took liquid lortab for 2 days then liquid tylenol, for a couple of days and then nothing. I am a wimp when it comes to pain, so if you have ever had surgery before you will be fine. I dont think It was any worse than having my tubes tied. I was only on liquids for 9 days then mushies, for others it is much longer than that. I had sugar free, non carbonated drinks, sf popsicles, sf Jello, and whatever broth that you prefer. By the time that you get off Clear Liquids you will actually like the broth.....it is a break between the sweet tasting stuff. I was eating solid foods in 3-4 wks. The worst part is getting over the head hunger and if you sleep on your stomach (like I do), it will be a few weeks before you can do that again. I was banded on 7-1-09 so I am still new to this but the only regret that I have is that I didnt do it sooner. Good luck on your journey.

Like Melinda said all surgerons are different so make sure and follow your surgeons directions but I'll tell you my experience, I only took lortab once (in hospital) went home same day as surgery took liquid tylenol.

Weeks 1-2 full liquids weeks 3-4 mushies weeks 4-5 soft foods then transition to regular diet.

full liquid diet:

sf Jello

sf popsicles

broth

strained cream base Soup

clear liquids

tea

lite smoothies

100% apple or grape juice

Protein shakes

slim fast low carb

1% or skim milk

Protein Water

mushy stage:

all of the above

sf pudding

refried Beans, cheese , salsa (blended)

mashed potatoes

light ice cream

cream of wheat

grits

oatmeal

soft scrambled eggs (mashed with fork)

cottage cheese

applesauce

baby food (meat, veggie, fruit)

yogurt

soft food stage

all the above

boiled or scrambled eggs

soft lf cheese (mozzarella or swiss)

rice or soft cooked noodles

soft cooked potato or baked potato

Beans

soft, over cooked veggies

canned fruit in natural juice

banana

toasted whole grain bread

crackers

baked white fish

canned tuna or canned chicken

Good luck and I hope the lists helps!!

First I want to congratulate you on your decision and wish you well on your journey. Like the other ladies mentioned every doctor has a different set of guidelines. I was on liquids for two weeks. Protein Shakes, broth, popsicles,water. At the end of the two weeks I had a post op appt and the dietician gave me the mushies diet to go by. As far as pain, I was a little sore first two days but nothing major. I only took a pill and a half during my whole recovery time. Take care.

Like all have mentioned all Dr's are different and you really need to go by the guidlines you are given by them.

I'll tell you this from my experience I bought a lot of Soups to have on the ready but I didn;t really want much to eat, it wasn't a oh I feel bad and don't want to eat I just had no intrest in eating. I kept SF Fudgesicles, Popsicles on hand and make sure youfind a Protein drink you like - GMC will let you return them if you don't like them after you buy.

Pain wasn't bad I was sent home with plenty of lortab but only used it when I wanted to sleep to make sure pain didn't wake me up.

Good Luck with your surgery tomorrow....

I had my lb surgery on 9-10-09. The diets listed above sound pretty much what mine was. The first 2 days for me were great then the next 4 were a bit tougher. I had what felt like a very bad pulled muscle in my stomach. I think it is where they sewed the port in. But 1 week post op it was like wow I feel so much better and now I feel pretty much back to myself. Good luck I feel better already!