Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok when I comes to pain I have a high tolerance for it, usually I am up for ANYTHING and I consider myself a strong person. I have my psychological evaluation tomorrow and after that I will get a call to tell me when I go in for surgery!:) I am so excited but to be honest I am totally and completely terrified. I know the chance of dying is slim but I am really scared I will be the one who will (cause honestly that’s my luck lol). Is there any way to get rid of this feeling? My mother assures me I’m young healthy and ill be alright, though I feel better when she says that I’m still scared. I am 20 years old, I am 5’5 and weigh 254 pounds, I have no health problems except slight high blood pressure but its not bad. Am I the only one that’s so scared of the actual surgery? Don’t get me wrong I am kinda afraid for after the surgery but I’m confident I could lose the weigh I need. Just the whole having surgery is kinda scary to me.:(

I started out close to the same size but add 28 years on top of it, I am 48. I also have a slight blood pressure problem and have had no problems. I have extreme anxiety that I take meds for. So I know about being scared. I wanted this so bad that I would have gone to the hospital by myself to get it done and rode the bus home if I had to. I wanted it!!

When I was in the prep room before surgery I had to wait about 30 minutes and thought I was going to have a panic attack. I did my breathing techniques and prayed to try to relax myself. I had not drank anything since midnight the night before and I had to get out of bed 3 times in that 30 minutes and have a nurse carry my IV to the restroom. I was pretty scared. So when the Dr. came in to check on me I told him my anxiety was really high so they gave me a litlle something in my IV to help and it did. Then I was fine when they wheeled me into the Surgery room and then with in a minute I was out and woke up in the recovery room realized what I had just been through and started having a panic attack so they instantly gave me something and it calmed me right down.

I did not say all this to scare you, but so you can see even if you are very, very scared and full of anxiety that they will take care of you. I would do it again in a minute. I think it is one of the best things I ever did, wish I would have done it when I was your age.

Hi Blazed,

I was very scared and not sure if this is what I should be doing right up until I was on the operating table!! lol At one point in the pre op room I almost got up and went home. Thankfully...I expressed my anxiety and the nurse taking care of me just stood next to me and held my hand. She started talking about her kids, my kids her trip to Hawaii etc. The next thing I know I was waking up in recovery.

I was scared, but it has been the best thing I ever did and would do it again in a heartbeat! Being scared is normal no matter what kind of surgery you are having. Hang in there!

123crod- Thank you so much for your reply it made me feel alot better and you didnt scare me. I am glad that I am not the only one that has ever been this nervous. Knowing others are/have been just as nervous as I am is a comforting thought and I really appreciate it.

Grandma26-Thats great I hope that there will be kind people there to help me before my surgery. I have almost backed out at least 3 diffrent times but this is something I want to do. I appreciate your comment I really do. Today I feel a lot better I went to for my

Psychological evaluation and it turns out the psychologist I went to had the lap-band back in may. I was so relieved I went to him he helped me out a lot and made me feel at ease. I am so excited!

I was so so so scared before my surgery!! I had never had surgery before, and also was relatively healthy...except that I weighed 280 lbs!! But it went very smoothly and honestly was a very easy recovery. I am sure you will do great!! Good luck!

Not to worry at all. I had it done 3 days ago and am already off the medication. Its very simple and over in no time.

Kenny

im scared too....surgery in 3 days! :blushing:

But I am also VERY excited!! YAY

I think it's normal!

Hi: I have been reading a lot of the blogs... but this is actually my first time writing out my thoughts.... I really thought I was the only that was terrified!!!! My family, doctors and EVERYBODY keep saying is going to be ok .. and im like..WELL IS EASY TO SAY !!!!... but with u guys, i know are or were on the same position I am @... and It helps me a lot....

My surgery is this coming frid... 09/25/09 :blushing:

Ok when I comes to pain I have a high tolerance for it, usually I am up for ANYTHING and I consider myself a strong person. I have my psychological evaluation tomorrow and after that I will get a call to tell me when I go in for surgery!:biggrin: I am so excited but to be honest I am totally and completely terrified. I know the chance of dying is slim but I am really scared I will be the one who will (cause honestly that’s my luck lol). Is there any way to get rid of this feeling? My mother assures me I’m young healthy and ill be alright, though I feel better when she says that I’m still scared. I am 20 years old, I am 5’5 and weigh 254 pounds, I have no health problems except slight high blood pressure but its not bad. Am I the only one that’s so scared of the actual surgery? Don’t get me wrong I am kinda afraid for after the surgery but I’m confident I could lose the weigh I need. Just the whole having surgery is kinda scary to me.:blushing:

I don't think that feeling ever goes away. . . i've had 17 major surgeries in my life time. . . and every time i go I have that feeling of the "last" time. . . but I wake up each time and am here to repeat yet another surgery. . . it's very scary but it will be ok, it's human nature to be scared, i don't think it would be normal for someone to say, "Oh I'm just dandy, i'm not even nervous" that would not be right, so your feelings are very very normal. . . I hope that helps abit. . .

Thank you all so much reading your posts make me feel so much better. I am still pretty nervous but not as nervous as I was before. I went to my psychologist appointment yesterday and it went wonderfuly. I should know my date of surgery by next week. Its so exciting that my life will change I cant wait! I really love lapbandtalk everyone is so nice.

Hey there.

I would question the sanity of ANYONE who wasn't at least a little apprehensive about the idea of being operated on! It is a big deal however "minor" people say this surgery is.

What I can say from my experience is that I woke up an hour after they put me under and within a couple of days I was back up and able to go for long walks again. I could walk around the hospital (complete with drip on wheels!) within 2h of waking up! After almost 2 weeks I have next to no pain and have had great success in dropping medication dosages already.

I hope you keep positive and I wish you every success!

It's normal to be scared or nervous before surgery...especially if you've never had surgery or anesthesia before!

The operating room staff and pre-op nurses deal with this all the time and all you have to do it let them know you're nervous and they will help you through it!

I had my band done in August. It was awful waiting but it honestly was a breeze. No nausea, no pain, absolutely no complications. Ask them for a drug "cocktail" before surgery. You'll go into the operating room singing.

I just had the band put in yesterday. I am sore and the pain medication makes me sick. I am now afraid that I have done the wrong thing. I can't seem to stop crying. Has anyone else had this problem after surgery.

I just had the band put in yesterday. I am sore and the pain medication makes me sick. I am now afraid that I have done the wrong thing. I can't seem to stop crying. Has anyone else had this problem after surgery.

I have heard of people reacting this way after a general, irrespective of the operation. The pain does go away, and if you are finding that the medication causes you a problem speak with your doctor right away to get something else. I know codeine causes problems for many people just as an example.

Keep in mind the reasons that you went through this and keep those around you informed of what you are feeling. You can do it, but we all need support and reassurance from time to time.