Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting in enough calories?

Thinin10- Yeah, I learned way more here than from my doc's office. And I do see my doc every visit/he fills my band. I went to 3 different hospitals/centers of excellence here before I chose who I wanted to use (seeing the same person each time was important to me).

Marfar- 4 weeks isn't unusual at all, but you'll see others who were allowed mushies in the hospital even. Mine was unusual just because I wasn't allowed any full liquids, like the Protein shakes, just clears (talk about a low cal diet). Homeade broth and SF popsicles saved me...they make them in yummy tropical flavors now (get some- I was great to chew something). I've got great restriction now and I ate a tiny bit of Pasta with some pesto I made yesterday, not the best choice but the basil aroma in my kitchen was ovewhelming LOL and I don't eat Pasta often. You'll figure out as you get your fills that how filled you want to be is a matter of choice. Some want their bands so tight they're still drinking their meals a year later. I don't have anything I can't eat...I want a lifestyle change I can live with, not another deprevation diet.

marfar7: Hi, I'm sharing this with you because I wish someone had shared it with me...

About 2 weeks before my surgery, I bought a Protein powder mix that I really liked. Bought 6 canisters of it. Because I really liked it. It had a great flavor, mixed up easily, decent price. Truly enjoyed the stuff before surgery.

After surgery I was allowed Protein shakes and Clear Liquids only for the first week. OMG that was hard! For some reason, I was unable to tolerate even the smell of the Protein Powder. It has been REALLY hard for me to get in the daily protein requirement.

Did I mention I'd bought 6 canisters?

Since you're still pre-surgery, you may want to get one or two more products that you like... just for some variety.

Good luck!

Band Groupie- thanks so much for the great responses. I too learned a little more today from you. I have one more week til fruits and veggies....and I feel better now about waiting. Being told it is all about healing is one thing and then getting the detailed information was so much better. Now I understand this process I am going thru now.

I am just going to stick to what I have been doing because I am getting enough Protein and ask my nutritionist about the increased meal/snack for the calories.

Thanks again

marfar7: Hi, I'm sharing this with you because I wish someone had shared it with me...

About 2 weeks before my surgery, I bought a Protein powder mix that I really liked. Bought 6 canisters of it. Because I really liked it. It had a great flavor, mixed up easily, decent price. Truly enjoyed the stuff before surgery.

After surgery I was allowed Protein shakes and clear liquids only for the first week. OMG that was hard! For some reason, I was unable to tolerate even the smell of the Protein Powder. It has been REALLY hard for me to get in the daily protein requirement.

Did I mention I'd bought 6 canisters?

Since you're still pre-surgery, you may want to get one or two more products that you like... just for some variety.

Good luck!

SlimdownDani,

Can I ask what kind of protein powder you got? I drink the EAS advantedge ready to drink shakes, but am looking for a good powder.

wow - this has been really interesting to read!!

I am 2.5 weeks post surgery and have lost 4.5kg so far - although to be honest I think I was expecting more!! During the first week and a half I was having lots of Soups, yoghurts, custard, jelly and even had a very small amount of mash veg as I was feeling quite hungry - but over the last week my appetite has decreased heaps, and I have not lost any weight at all. All I really feel like is Soup again - but I do worry about setting my body into starvation mode as I am having so few calories per day. I know it is only very early days for me and the weight will come off in time. But I want to make sure I am doing all that I can to help things along.

Your replies have been helpful as my Dr has not provided any information about daily calorie intake - he just has a guide about which foods to reintroduce at certain times. Thanks everyone :biggrin: