Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thank You All - You Understand

Thanks to all of you for your words of advice and encouragement. Yes you do understand and that is a comfort to me. Being like this is an emotional slice of hell anyway and I think I will reach out to anyone who throws a lifeline to get through it. Again – thank you. Does anyone have any information on affordable (self-pay) lap band surgeons in the U.S.? There is a reputable one in San Antonio, Texas who quotes about $12k. It is so frustrating dealing with BCBS. Mainly the hoops and that 6-month diet thing. They treat you like you are less than human and stupid. My frustration is that I have been dieting and exercising for 4 months waiting to visit a new doctor. Yes it takes that long if you are a new patient here and want a good doctor. I wanted to make myself healthy enough to get the band and mitigate other health issues. It is working but I know I will not sustain it over time. Now I find that I don’t get any credit for that. I fear that if I fall below the qualifying BMI, I will be disapproved as BCBS states on their website. So my option now, and I am seriously considering this is to self-pay just to spare myself the BCBS BS. Aftercare is a concern because even though the Medical Tourism options are affordable, the doctors around here do not want to fool with you. I would be forced to drive long distances and pay large amounts for one who will. I had decided on Panama or Costa Rica, because I always wanted to visit there but…factoring in air fare for 2, hotel stay, it puts me right at or even above a cash pay here in the U.S. I did find a local surgeon who will do the aftercare if I get the procedure from a U.S. doctor (ironic because the doctor is a foreign national).

If I recall correctly (I don't have the paperwork in front of me right now), Dr. James Smith in Pueblo, CO does it for around $12k-$14k. He doesn't accept any insurance. If you attend one of his seminars, he doesn't charge the $200 initial consult fee.

Good luck!

Acctualy Melinco I live here in Pueblo colorado and Dr. Smith is my surgeon I will get the surgery sometime late october/early November. I am self paid (well my grandfather is paying for it thankfuly, and I will pay him back) but anyways Dr. Smith Charges about $15,000.

Dr. Hagar Spivak in Houston is who I used. I was self pay and payed $12,900 and that was for everything including fills and aftercare for one year. He is very nice and his staff is too.

He has a website. Look him up he comes very highly recommend that is why I picked him. Since I was selfpay and in good health I had surgery 2 days after consultant. Had first Dr. visit for $100.00 right after free seminar.