Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded Yesterday, Vomiting today

Okay, I was banded yesterday and today has been horrible. Starting about 8am this morning, I started having strong dry heaves. These are body racking dry heaves, not just a little gag. The dr is calling me in some phenegran supositorises, and said no liquids tonight. He said that if it doesn't ease off, then I will need to be admitted back into the hospital tomorrow for iv fluids and meds.

WHen I heave nothing but foamy stuff comes up. I have a sharp pain all over my belly when it happens, but that goes away as soon as I stop heaving.

Has anyone else dealt with this experience??

Those sound terrible. I'm sorry to hear of you going through this. I didn't have this problem, and I can't remember if any other September banders did, but check this thread, for all September banders

September 2009 Band Date

Let us know how you are. I sure hope you feel better soon.

Anita

Okay, I was banded yesterday and today has been horrible. Starting about 8am this morning, I started having strong dry heaves. These are body racking dry heaves, not just a little gag. The dr is calling me in some phenegran supositorises, and said no liquids tonight. He said that if it doesn't ease off, then I will need to be admitted back into the hospital tomorrow for iv fluids and meds.

WHen I heave nothing but foamy stuff comes up. I have a sharp pain all over my belly when it happens, but that goes away as soon as I stop heaving.

Has anyone else dealt with this experience??

I had the same thing happen on the evening of day 2 and the morning of day 3. I think it was from taking the Vicodin pills which got hung up. It really helped me to sleep in a sitting position in a recliner for the first few days. It was at least 2 days from the first dry heaves before I felt like I could walk around without working myself into the need to stop and gag. I did keep drinking, btw, which I think is the only thing that kept me from becoming so dehydrated that I would have had to return to the hospital. I stopped all Vitamins though and started cutting my vicodin pills in half and taking them very, very slowly. I wish you much luck. Post and let us know how you're doing.

I am so sorry. This is what I dread. I am sorry it happened to you. Keep us posted.

I had a similar thing happen to me. My doc had to remove saline from the band because it was too tight. Ask him if that my be a possibility. I felt better right after he took out 2.5 cc.

Wow! I'm sorry you're going through that. Ask your surgeon to prescribe anti-nausea medication. Mine did it automatically and I was sure I wouldn't need it, but on Day 2 I discovered that I was wrong!

If you still need the pain meds, see if you can get a scrip for LORTAB ELIXIR (or the generic) which is liquid vicodin. Might help. But it causes Constipation so don't stay on it for long.

Good luck!

Vicodin can cause some people to vomit. Anesthesia and recovery, having the stomach agitated, many things can cause a person to be nauseated and vomit post op. It's not something one generally wants to let go on post banding because the band is sewn into place and violent vomiting can cause a slip. Be sure your doc checks you out once you get it under control. You must feel miserable! Good luck!

I agree with the previous posters... pain meds and anesthesia can cause vomiting. Sounds like you have a surgeon who is right on top of things...... Here's hoping it doesn't last and you make a fast recovery.

you and i were banded on the same day, sept 14th. They put me on liquid tylonal w/codiene. i havnt felt nausous, but the gas pain for the first two days was really bad. Now im just a little sore and slow moving. Each day seems to be getting a little better. I do feel i need to start taking in some calories because i get tired easy and last night felt cold and weak.