Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Finally able to talk after Hurrican Rita

Hi ya'll, I have finally been able to gain access to a computer since hurricane Rita ravaged my small town. I am happy to say that I made it through my first fill on September 20 (althouth he put my port in a new place compared to his previous patients' ports locations and forgot, yeah, ouch he poked me 5 times before he remembered), but I am sad to say that our house was damaged by the hurricane along with the rest of my town. I have missed talking to ya'll a lot. I am also happy to say that I have lost about 20lbs (that I know, I havent been on my scales in over a week) and have went from a loose size 20 to a loose size 18 AND my shirts are beginning to get a little bigger also. I am extremely excited despite being displaced by the hurricane, although I know SO MANY PEOPLE are WAY worse off than I am. I am currently living in Houston with my mom, while my dad is living in Louisiana. They had to seperate so that they could work their jobs and its killing my mother being away from her husband, and I can understand. The worse part of all this is that she can not get her hormone pills filled here because she has to use her doctor in Beaumont and they can not take anyone right now because of the hurricane and because she is too lazy to go! Shes driving me crazy, 2 women (especially related ones) definately CAN NOT live in the same house 24/7, much less the little travel trailer that we have to rent to live in down here. I am incredibly bored lol! There really isnt much of anything to do, but Im getting along. I just thought that I would check in with yall and see how everyone else was doing?

It's so good to hear from you again! I was thinking of you and how you were doing. I'm so sorry about the hurricane. We went through it last year. Our house is finally fixed, but my parents are still staying in a FEMA trailer in our yard and it was 1 year on Aug. 13th. It's hard to cope with the charnge and to be patient while everything is being rebuilt, it take so long! But, each day is one step closer. I, too always remember that someone is worse off and I'm happy I didn't lose more. Also, congrats on your weight loss. I'm still waiting on my insurance company (that also takes forever). Good luck to you and welcome back!

I am glad you are okay. I know it is hard to stay in a little trailer, and you must miss your home. Congrats on the great weight loss...I hope it stays nice and steady for you! Cindy

Fellow Texan here...Glad to hear that you are doing well. Congrats on the weight loss. We need to do some Voodoo on those hurricanes!!! My house is still boarded up! Not chancing it. They are staying up until the end of the season! Take care.

Welcome back Jodie! Glad to hear that you are in such high spirits and feel such great success so soon!

Cheers!

I cannot even try to imagine what it must be like for all our friends who've been hit by hurricanes. You, nonethless, have my sympathy.

Cheers!

Wow Jodie! What a hectic few weeks you have had! So glad to see you are chipper and doing so well on your weight loss! Take care and stay in touch as best you can.

Thanks ya'll, the hardest part is finding something to eat that I can actually eat. I have cried almost every night from eating things I shouldnt, but when thats the only food you have thats what ya gotta eat I guess. Even though we have evacuated, its still hard to find stuff to eat that is good for the band. It hurts to eat this kind of food, but it hurts worse NOT to eat anything. All of the MREs have Pasta in them or fried foods so that they will get done quickly and be filling. The filling part is the hardest, everyone cooks SO MUCH FOOD, to have nothing, they sure find a lot of something to fry up lol. I dont know what to do, it hurts so bad and I have not lost a pound since my last fill (2 days before the hurricane). Im not too depressed, its just, it HURTS lol. For example a meat market in town finally got a shipment of meat in, so our neighbor went and bought steaks for everyone, by the second bite I almost had tears. With this state of stress, and my mother's lack of hormone pills, I cant complain to my parents because my dad just gets upset and my mom redefines upset. Mom begins screaming and yelling that I am ungrateful and a pre-madonna and that I will eat what is served if I am hungry enough. Then if I am hungry and hurting (I get horrible cases of the hiccups) she says that I can wait, but I cant and find something like string cheese to curb the pain until the meal is ready. I understand that they are stressed, but I am in pain as I am typing and I dont know how to approach the subject.

Hi Jodie, I'm sorry you are going through such a difficult time. I'm by no means an expert, but just wanted to offer a little support and remind you to chew, chew, chew.

Where are you staying now? Are you back in your home town? Sounds like you're at the right restriction level, but with the short supply of food you aren't able to get any band-friendly food to eat. After a fill, you typically would go back on a diet similar to what you did post-op. Are there any instant mashed potatoes, oatmeal, etc that you can get a hold of?

I work for a company that manufactures and distributes hospital lab supplies, and we've had a heck of a time getting shipments out to the affected hospitals so they are able to re-open.

Let us know what area you're in (zip code) and I'll be glad to send you a care package as soon as I can. you can PM me if you want, not sure of the logistics but I would try my best.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Stress can also cause the band to act up, (at least it does for me). Welcome back and I wish you the best with your band and your repairs.

Well, I can not have oatmeal, the doctor doesnt recommend it. I have plenty of food because I am living in Houston, but its mostly canned raviolois and spaghetti Os. I chew and chew until I give myself a TMJ attack, but its just hard when ppl are offering you food and you feel SOOOO ungrateful NOT to eat it, you know? I think I can do better this week in Houston because Mom will have a lil more free time to take me to an actual restaurant where I can order good food, and not fried foods. The fried foods really hurt the worst! But I am just getting tired of being sick. Thank you for offering to send help, but what I really need is some quick easy (microwave) food ideas, like if you know a good frozen dinner or something like that. I have to start losing weight again.

Jodi - sorry you are going through this on top of everything else. I bet the stress is causing extra band issues. As far as frozen dinners, try some lean cuisines. I had a turkey and broccoli last week that was pretty good and a turkey with spinach something that was good too. The turkey has a thin gravy so its easy to get down.

Just think of how awesome this experience will be when you interview for jobs and they ask you to describe how you handle stressful situations!! Good luck. Celeste

Hello all,

Iam having surgery on jan 5 and am sooo excited. I am a huricane katrina survivor. My home was flooded and i am starting the rebuilding process. I decided that this is gonna be my year so i decided to go to dr. rumbaut in monteray to have a lap band. Any info you have on this doc would be appreciated. can't wait to report on everything.

take care