Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi Everyone,

I will be banded in mid Oct...and I'm self pay...

The "global price" includes all services/surgery/hospital stay/etc. This includes 3 nights in the hospital if I want/need it. There is no refund if I stay less than the 3 nights.

So the question is...did any of you leave same day or next day from surgery and wish you had stayed longer in the hospital? :)

I don't sleep well in the hospital (who does?), but I like the idea of having IV meds handy just in case as well as the nursing staff for the extra assistance/care.

Thanks for the advice! :thumbdown:

Hi,

I was also self pay. My package only included one night in the hospital. I had a complication that required I stayed an additional night. Like you, I hated the thought of sleeping in the hospital, but I have to say, having a nurse there to stay on top of my medication and having assistance getting up and around, was all a big plus. I would definitely stay for one night and if you are still feeling crappy and they allow it, stay longer. I have to admit I was a little antsy when they said I *had* to stay. I wanted to get in my own bed. I think the hospital bed was actually more comfortable those first two nights since I could adjust it. When I got home I had to sleep in the recliner anyway :)

I am self pay also and required to stay 1 night after surgery. I also have up to a 3 night stay included. I did not even think about what happens if I don't use it...hmmmm...guess it is there "just in case".

My surgery is September 23rd....:)

Good luck with your surgery!!

I only stayed one night. Had the surgery on a Friday afternoon and left Saturday around 5 p.m. I had several IV bags of antibiotic and had to wait for the last one at 4 p.m. Saturday. My doctor has the hospital do an mini upper GI the day after surgery to make sure everything's in the right place. I felt great on the day I left and I could have left sooner if I didn't have to do the IV.

Good luck!

I had some complications and ended up staying in the hospital 3 nights. I am so glad that I did, because even with my husbands excellent help, we could not have taken care of me at home. I was glad to get home, but would have been glad to stay a 4th night if I could have.

Definately stay the first night! IV morophine will be your friend...you will generally feel crappy that first day/night so take advantage of the nursing help and meds available to you.

I was on the fence about staying but in the end I am really glad I chose to stay!

Good Luck!

I was self pay. My surgery was at 1:00pm and I was out of there before 5:00pm. I only took the liquid vicodin through that first night. I was lucky to have no complications that would keep me in the hospital.

The only complications I did have were a severe headache (for 4 days) and dry mouth for a week brought on by the anesthesia and vicodin.

I am so glad it was true "outpatient" and I do not feel that I should have stayed. I hope all goes as well for you.

Well I am NOT self pay and I am an outpatient person. 5-6 hours with no complications prayfully.