Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have to gain weight to qualify?

My BMI is 38.3, and I have to be greater than 40 to qualify and that would equal me gaining 15lbs to reach that. I know you

can qualify 35-39 with things like high blood pressure, cholesterol, diabetes. I don't think I have any of those, at the most maybe pre-diabetes which I'll find out on October 6th when I have my yearly physical and get some blood work drawn. Does anyone know of anything else that could qualify me? Maybe a history of diabetes/heart disease in my family, I have knee/back issues, the fact that every diet/pill/program has failed me? Help! I really do not want to gain more weight just to reach a 40 BMI!:wink:

Are you trying to qualify for insurance or are you self-pay? I was self-pay and didn't need the co-morbidities to qualify for the surgery, and I was under 40 bmi. Maybe it depends on the doctor though. Now, if you're trying to qualify for insurance, I believe most are pretty strict about the qualification requirements.

Edited by kiz

I understand how frustrating it can be when you are so close but yet so far away.

My advise if you have no co-morbidities know, is to have your PCP write a letter that they think the surgery would benefit you because of current risk factory that run in your family history. By doing this it may help them approve it to avoid costly treatments for this.

Also one thing my surgeon said about being close to the bmi factor is stuff you pockets with coins or anything you can do comfortable (not noticeable) to step on the scale with and give you that push.

Like I have shoes that weigh several pounds, were heavy clothing.

If you can't qualify due to 15 pounds, the other suggestion is to gain the weight knowing in the long run the benefits you will receive.

Hope it works out for you.

Make your doctor appointment a night, and drink a ton of Water before the appointment. Also wear shoes. It wont add 15 pounds but will help. I did this and it worked. But since you have a co-morbity, you should qualify with a BMI of 35, unless your self pay. If you are, get a new doctor.

sleep apnea did it for me with a bmi of 37. Even though I have severe arthritis and have had one knee replaced and the other is overdue on replacement surgery, they (insurance) would not take that into consideration. Also, before you gain that 15 lbs., most insurance companies require patients to Lose a percentage of weight to show that they actually can lost weight prior to approving. I had a low BMI and was required to lose 12 pounds before insurance approval. If I lost 1/2 pound more, I would have been under the 35 BMI (health issues) and would have been disqualified! Talk about a stressful diet! Good luck! But I wouldn't pack on the pounds before get all information!

Edited by luvs2laff

sleep apnea did it for me with a bmi of 37. Even though I have severe arthritis and have had one knee replaced and the other is overdue on replacement surgery, they (insurance) would not take that into consideration. Also, before you gain that 15 lbs., most insurance companies require patients to Lose a percentage of weight to show that they actually can lost weight prior to approving. I had a low BMI and was required to lose 12 pounds before insurance approval. If I lost 1/2 pound more, I would have been under the 35 BMI (health issues) and would have been disqualified! Talk about a stressful diet! Good luck! But I wouldn't pack on the pounds before get all information!

Yeah, my BMI is about 38.3 and I really dont want to gain anymore weight! I go to my doctor on the 6th, how can I ask them about testing me for all the comorbidities? Things like sleep apnea, diabetes, etc.