Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wine Country Woman Weighs In

After losing 126 lbs on Weight Watchers and maintaining for three years, I gained nearly all of it back when my arthritic knee became so painful I stopped exercising (and started eating massive portions of inappropriate foods). After knee-replacement surgery, I tried a variety of weight loss programs but I couldn't recapture my determination. After a referral by my primary care physician, I began the bariatric program at Kaiser South San Francisco by attending their orientation on 8 September; I'm booked for the second phase (nutrition and lifestyle classes) at the end of the month. I don't yet have a target weight to qualify for surgery, but I suspect it'll mean I have to lose 25 to 30 lbs. Kaiser supplied very thorough informational materials so I have a good idea what changes I'll need to make pre- and post-surgery. I'm fairly confident I can follow the plan, but I have some concerns about exercising (I can't walk or even stand for more than 5 minutes) and about getting enough Water given the stringent rules about when not to drink. I'm also at a loss about how to prepare foods that suit both my husband and myself (he's not keen on eating slush). I'm looking forward to "meeting" folks here on the forum and learning about living with my LapBand—and maybe even loving it.

Welcome to LBT.. read up on some of the old posts it will give you good ideas as to what to expect

Welcome Carson! It's so good to hear that you got lots of info from Kaiser. I got banded Aug 31st. on my 14th day of Clear Liquids. I am so grateful that I was given all the info on what to expect before surgery. It does help to prepare your mind for a new lifestyle. As far as different meals.... hmm phase 1 is liquids then 2 is mush foods.. maybe make a meal that has a side of some kind of mushy food so Hubby can have his meal and your not cooking 2 meals. (mashed potatoes, cottage cheese, apple sauce.. and so on.) Also, food processor... I got one for when I am able to eat mushy foods... then i believe it's more portion on stage 3. Hope this helps! and welcome again!!

Good luck with your journey.

I started mine from a reasonable place in that at BMI of 35 I was a relative lightweight but I had the musculoskeletal problems starting to set in with a bad ankle that stopped me being able to walk for exercise.I'd had it for 2 years and piled on weight in that time due to the lack of activity.

You would know just how much easier it is to move your body around when the weight is gone, as you've lost it before. I run for an hour a day now and i would never have dreamed my body could cope with that, but not only do you have this weak part - in your case your knee - but all the muscles and connective tissue around it weaken and make exercise even more difficult and pain even more likely. Slowly and steadily I added to my walking/jogging regime and it took a long time but my body has gradually strengthened itself remarkably.

so the band will take care of initial weight loss and you can work slowly and steadily towards getting back to a higher level of exercise going by what your knee can handle. And of course, it might not be high impact weight bearing - there's always elliptical, spinning, swimming or circuit stuff that doesnt give you the pounding that running (and even walking) does.

I'm in much the same place - lost 110 lbs on WW, maintained it for 18 months, and then gained almost all of it back. My right knee is bone on bone and walking is very hard. My lapband is scheduled for 10/29 and the exercise worries me, too. Starting little with short slower walks will help build up the muscles and as the weight comes off, I know I can do more. Do you have access to a pool? Water aerobics or even just pool walking will help without pain.

I've lost 35 lbs in the last 5 months on WW and I do feel better going into WLS. I have more discipline, have already eliminated a lot of "bad" food, and know that my knee already feels better having gotten rid of that much - more will be better and easier!

Good luck. Let's stay in touch.

Wine Country,

I am presently waiting for my approval, so I dont have any words of wisdom.

But, I grew up in Kenwood, just over the hill from Napa. Gotta love wine country.