Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sugar Addiction

Friends, I'm in a bad, bad situation. I've consumed more sugar in the past 3 months than all my life combined. What the heck happened to me?

I never drank Coke. EVER. I had no desire for Coke or Pepsi because I was addicted to Diet Pepsi. Several months back I had a real Coke. Then another. I saw other Bandsters drinking Dr. Pepper and Coke, so I started. Now I can't stop. I'm actually being serious for a change.

Yesterday I went all day with no soda. Then I actually popped a Pepsi open at 9:30 p.m. IN BED.

ANOTHER CONFESSION: I picked up a new habit of eating in bed, then going right to sleep. I almost called Michelle last night, but the phone was too far away.

I need to confess this because I'm really scared. I've gained about 10 pounds, and I want to stop the insanity. It's 2pm. I switched back to Diet Pepsi today, and I ate plain Protein for lunch. All I need is one day. I need to make it past one night without opening a Coke.

Why did this happen? How the hell can someone my age come up with new bad habits this late in the game. And yes, I said HELL because that's what it's like.

DeLarla,

My sweet friend I've come to know from this board. Sugar is absolutely addictive, never, never underestimate it's power to suck you in and then kick your cravings for it into high gear.

But I have seen your before pictures and I know how strong you are. You are absolutely gorgeous and have a gentle, kind heart too. Don't allow the sugar demon take hold.

Drinking the carbonated beverages is just about as addictive as you have found out. Get rid of it, don't keep it in the house fix yourself your favorite non carbonated beverage and enjoy that. I know you're booming business puts you in temptations way with the food and drink, but why not take a thermos of your favorite beverage with you, so you don't have to drink the other stuff at the party. Bring along a big try of crudities with a spinach and yougurt dip, start a new trend. What could be better than maintaining your own healthy lifestyle and encouraging others to do so as well without preaching to them.

I don't know if any of this helps. But I am sending positive thoughts and prayers for you and that will help. You have no idea how influencial you have been for me on this board. You not only went from beautiful to ravishing, but you're bright, witty, and tons of fun. Thank you for all of that.

Cindy:Bunny

Thank you! I need all the positive vibes I can get.

The problem started with ERIN, the $@%#$@$%^@#$% CO-WORKER who was placed on this planet for the sole purpose of torturing me. She's the one that eats all day. 300 pound woman that doesn't shut her mouth when she chews - food flying everywhere. She makes dinner at 8:00 a.m. every morning in the company kitchen and walks around with plates of meatballs and wings. I shut my door, but it's really too hard to work that way. Anyway, my firm buys 2 pallets of soda every month. I always ignored them, but then Erin walks around with a Coke all day talking about Coke this, Coke that, "how can you get by without Coke?" "Can I get you a Coke?" "Boy, I need a Coke."

Pretty soon we started fighting. Grown women at a law firm. I eventually started screaming at her because nothing I said worked. I asked nice for months to leave the food, food suggestions, menus, COKE, candy, and dinner for Breakfast away from me. Eventually I broke down. Erin handed me my first real Coke. Those pallets of soda never bothered me before. Now it may as well be a mountain of cocaine to a drug addict.

It's 3:00 p.m. Still no sugar. Can I make it till 4:00?

start mixing 1/2 diet 1/2 regular for one week - quitting cold turkey is hard! Also, remember that every 4 grams of sugar on that label = 1 tablespoon of sugar! Empty a coke bottle, fill it back up with those 4-5 tablespoons of sugar and wave it around, look at it, imagine how sick you would feel if you ate that sugar! I promise this mental trick can help you get off the sugar! Everytime you pop a coke, picture those tablespoons of sugar you put in that bottle.

Oh girl, I know how ya feel! I have been drinking soda since I was like 4 so to break it off cold turkey was a real tough thing for me to do. My nutritionist said no carbonation ever again, so I haven't had one since my surgery. It's been hard, but, once you find something else it isn't so bad. Going from reg Coke to Diet is hard at 1st too, but try it for a week (if you are ok to drink soda, as it appears you are) and you'll soon be addicted to Diet again (don't know if that's really a good thing?) I've been drinking a ton of Ice Tea and that flavored water from Dasani or Propel and I haven't had a real craving yet for my Coke. Soda is addictive though whether it's diet or regular. As for your parties, just bring your own drink and toss a nutritious snack (like a Protein bar) in your bag so you can stay away from the wings and lil smokies. :) As for chica at work, look at what she looks like...and that is not how you want to look, right? That's what coke does...and wings and meatballs for Breakfast (eeeewww) stay strong, and we're here rootin' for ya! :)

Thank you! I need all the positive vibes I can get.

The problem started with ERIN, the $@%#$@$%^@#$% CO-WORKER who was placed on this planet for the sole purpose of torturing me. She's the one that eats all day. 300 pound woman that doesn't shut her mouth when she chews - food flying everywhere. She makes dinner at 8:00 a.m. every morning in the company kitchen and walks around with plates of meatballs and wings. I shut my door, but it's really too hard to work that way. Anyway, my firm buys 2 pallets of soda every month. I always ignored them, but then Erin walks around with a Coke all day talking about Coke this, Coke that, "how can you get by without Coke?" "Can I get you a Coke?" "Boy, I need a Coke."

She is a Demon straight from Hell. Does your company not buy pallets of DIET coke? If you must do soda - stick to your first addiction - DIET PEPSI. If you want something that Tastes gacky sweet - try vanilla Diet Pepsi - I love that stuff. I have a drawer in my desk that is just full of diet soda, packets of oatmeal and other acceptable food substances. The only defense against Demons is to be prepared. Don't let your supplies run out. Be strong.

I am sorry that you have a fat chick in your office that wants to drag you down with her. Just remember whenever she sticks her Evil head into your office - YOU TOO COULD WEIGHT 300 LBS - if you LISTEN to her - she will make SURE that you do... Misery loves company!

Think back to pre-band. What did you eat when you were being bad? Probably not liquid calories. You would be better off to eat any SOLID bad food (you would get full!) than to drink sugar. If you just can't stand it anymore - eat something solid.

Let's see DeLarla kick some fat-girl butt - rather than drink fat-girl soda. You can do it! We will hold your hand while you swear and vent.

((HUGS!))

Sugar is evil. I can not have one bite of it or it will set me off. Splenda is good. Say it with me now, "Splenda is good"...

Sugar will take three days to totally get out of your system. Make it past day three and you are set. After that avoid sugar in any form like the plague.

**spooky cult voice***

"Sugar is evil, Splenda is good..."

With every sip of Coke think about how you are emulating and becoming Erin.

:ducking shoes!!:

Cindy is right on. Quit the carbonation altogether. You don't need it, and it seems to create a trigger for you.

And all her suggestions for staying off carbonation are right on, too.

And if that doesn't help, we'll just start calling you Erin... :evil grin:

xxoo

diet coke is like using IV drugs. I stopped cold turkey and lost 10 pounds.

I was drinking about 4 per day starting at 8am

The other day i was given an expensive piece of choco, it didnt taste that good, i took one bite and gave it away. Your taste bunds change so much when you dont have something.

Since all this talk about those who do and don't indulge in soda, be it diet or regular, everytime I see someone drinking one, I think OMG, I could gulp the big gulp. I hadn't even had a desire for soda, now I want a diet Dr. Pepper, BAD!

I sure hate to start bad habits, but I think I'll have to have a sipppppppppppppp.

Guest ASPHALT ANGEL

I agree that she is trying to sabatage (spelling?) you and she has finally found a week spot. Don't let her win. You have came along way to give into " Erin form Hell" now. The next time she comes to you tell her you are trying to save your life, if she chooses to eat ferself into her grave then you would be happy to do the Eulogy at her funeral. That ought to send her and her junk food packing.

I love Dr. pepper and I gave it up. I now drink diet Arizona Green tea with honey and Ginsing. Hope this helps..

I almost called Michelle last night, but the phone was too far away.

Get up of your butt and call me next time girlfriend! I will talk you out of it or get your mind off of it.

Remember Sugar craves Sugar, once you start for the day you can not stop, same with Carbs.

Get off the carbonation, switch to Crystal light..get yourself some 20 oz Water bottles and get yourself some Crystal light singles made for a 20 oz bottle drop in in your water bottle and drink that all day, it is sweet and at the same time you are drinking all of your Water. This is how I get my water in and curb my craving for sugar.

Let's see DeLarla kick some fat-girl butt - rather than drink fat-girl soda.

Yes lets see it Delarla! You can do this..it is now 5:00 pm..how are you doing?

Okay, this may be a LITTLE childish, but I'd go into your kitchen at work and shake the Hell out of every can of pop the next time a shipment comes in. You can always say "I guess it was a bumpy ride in the truck"...

It'll keep you away, and think of the satisfaction of seeing dear Erin with a sticky shirt all day long. :)