Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone: I have been approved for my surgery by my insurance; but,I am changing surgeons. I just can't work with this surgeons office staff. I have an appointment with the new surgeon and their office said that all they do is call the insurance office and tell them that I have changed surgeons. It is not a change to a surgeon in the same office.They said I would not have to get reapproval because their doctor is also an approved surgeon with my insurance and they have done this before. Does anyone know about something like this. I have all my records except the psych exam and dietian report which I will have to get from the old surgeon. What problems can you for see?I have BC/BS Anthem.

I am really bummed because my surgery was scheduled for September 24th. I have found out that the first surgeon does not even have a full time office staff and they are hard to get in contact with and even more difficult to deal with. They are a Center of Excellence in Arizona and don't even answer the phone half the time. Actually my cardiologist even freaked out when he heard they had No full time office staff.

Sorry for going on so long. Any help would be appreciate. I am so disappointed.

Thanks

Pickles

Edited by pickles123

Hi everyone: I have been approved for my surgery by my insurance; but,I am changing surgeons. I just can't work with this surgeons office staff. I have an appointment with the new surgeon and their office said that all they do is call the insurance office and tell them that I have changed surgeons. It is not a change to a surgeon in the same office.They said I would not have to get reapproval because their doctor is also an approved surgeon with my insurance and they have done this before. Does anyone know about something like this. I have all my records except the psych exam and dietian report which I will have to get from the old surgeon. What problems can you for see?I have BC/BS Anthem.

I am really bummed because my surgery was scheduled for September 24th. I have found out that the first surgeon does not even have a full time office staff and they are hard to get in contact with and even more difficult to deal with. They are a Center of Excellence in Arizona and don't even answer the phone half the time. Actually my cardiologist even freaked out when he heard they had No full time office staff.

Sorry for going on so long. Any help would be appreciate. I am so disappointed.

Thanks

Pickles

I don't know about "problems" but you may have to take new tests. I do after changing. It has set me back a couple of months but I am happy now with my choice and I know I will be well cared for. For me it is worth it.

Thanks: I sure hope I don't have to do everything over, I can't afford it.

Have a great day.

Pickles..

You have to look at the whole picture. The surgery is only one part of this journey. Follow up care is as important and if the office staff is difficult to work with or worse yet, non-existent, you will not have the availability of support to complete this process. Changing now, at the beginning, will be the best way for you to ensure success. I realize that this is frustrating, but making the change now gives you the chance to work with your new surgeon from start to finish. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Elgrad

Pickles..

You have to look at the whole picture. The surgery is only one part of this journey. Follow up care is as important and if the office staff is difficult to work with or worse yet, non-existent, you will not have the availability of support to complete this process. Changing now, at the beginning, will be the best way for you to ensure success. I realize that this is frustrating, but making the change now gives you the chance to work with your new surgeon from start to finish. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Elgrad

Elgrad is EXACTLY RIGHT believe me you can't afford NOT to change. I didn't want to tack on extra months before surgery... trust me I wanted it done, I almost just went with the flow.... Now I KNOW I have not only a great skilled surgeon but a great team for my after care... this is a long term relationship for success....

I did all my pre op tests with the previous surgeon... so I now have different test that this new surgeon requires, The only thing he will really use from the other surgeon is the 3 months of nutritional consulting. Extra money now.... and success is more important long term dont you think? Hang in there. I can't afford to pay again my portion either (I am unemployed with no unemployment check, actually my earnings are 1/4 what they were 6 months ago) , but ya know I want success. You will be fine and you will work it out. Feel good you have a great Dr and team to work with you. Bottom line is we will get our lives back! that is priceless!!!! LONG TERM THINKING IS KEY

Thanks ELgrad: I know this is true. It is suppose to be a center of excellence is why I picked it. I know after care is so important. I am a stand up for yourself type of person; but, for some reason they are just walking all over me and I am letting them. This is the oddest thing to me.

I also feel that after care is the most important part of this program. They don't even answer the phone there because there is no one there. I don't know if you are familiar with her but this is the office of Dr. Robin Blackstone a surgeon who has done people far and wide. I think they may have gotten too arrogant (sp) from doing celebrities and don't care about us common folk. If you have a problem with insurance, God help you because they brush you off and could care less. I have never met a bunch of such non caring people in my life and yet I am still going back. What the heck is the matter with me.

I guess I have gone through so much and have finallly got a surgery date I feel like I can't give up. Yet, I know I am going to continue to get bad service.

Are we wanting this surgery so much we give up all common sense and pride to bow down to these offices.

It seems like I have and I am really angry and still doing it.

Thanks all for listening

Pickles:

I think you have hit the nail on the head with your thoughts on why you are letting these people walk all over you. You have made a big decision, something that has you a little nervous, maybe even scared, and these are supposed to be the "duty experts", the one's who you are trusting. Maybe they have gotten too uppity for their own good, maybe they see you as "money", not as a person. Whatever the reason, if you are not comfortable with the care you are receiving now, you do not want to trust them to care for you after the surgery is done. Trust your gut on this one (no pun intended) and find a surgeon and staff that you can feel comfortable with and who are there when you need them. It may take a little extra money and time on your part (and I can understand that concern) but if you do not get the support you need in after-care, all the money you have spent to this point may be lost. Look to the future as a long-range plan, not just a brief moment, and make your plans wisely.

Good luck!

Elgrad

Thanks Elgrad: You are making me feel better understanding what I mean.

I have an appointment with the new surgeon Monday and a preop appointment with the old surgeon Tuesday. If I like the new surgeon I am going with him.

Thanks for the support.

You all on here are the greatest.

Have a great day.

Pickles:

I think you have hit the nail on the head with your thoughts on why you are letting these people walk all over you. You have made a big decision, something that has you a little nervous, maybe even scared, and these are supposed to be the "duty experts", the one's who you are trusting. Maybe they have gotten too uppity for their own good, maybe they see you as "money", not as a person. Whatever the reason, if you are not comfortable with the care you are receiving now, you do not want to trust them to care for you after the surgery is done. Trust your gut on this one (no pun intended) and find a surgeon and staff that you can feel comfortable with and who are there when you need them. It may take a little extra money and time on your part (and I can understand that concern) but if you do not get the support you need in after-care, all the money you have spent to this point may be lost. Look to the future as a long-range plan, not just a brief moment, and make your plans wisely.

Good luck!

Elgrad

The first place I was dealing with had a call center for 11 locations, I couldn't get through to who I needed, no one could answer my questions. They would send me to different voice mails I would leave clear messages and not get return calls. Made me nervous, I figured I would change after I had surgery, someone else to do fills etc... well then I realized no one wants to adopt someone elses surgery to look after. So basically i decided to bit it and find someone new. I spent 2 days on the phone narrowed down to 3 offices then 2 then finally chose one. I was so blown away by the new office. I am so glad I stood up for myself.

I am so glad you made the right decision to change surgeons. I think I have about had it and I am not sure to really even get it done. The stress for me is too much. The surgery seems easier than dealing with the offices.

Good luck

Pickles when you have the right staff working for your health it won't be so stressful. I also started counseling a few months ago when I embarked on this journey, it has been helpful... hang in there.