Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

totally gross - I warned you

When am I going to win this battle with my colon? I haven't had a BM since before surgery and basically it's just sitting in my colon and my mind is wrestling with my colon to make it come out and my mind is losing. How much more of this day do I have to sit on the toilet playing tug of war!!!! I was supposed to go back to work today and now I don't see that happening. Can I take liquid Fiber?

I use Benefiber. It is a tasteless powder you can mix into your favorite beverage. For me it doesn't work like a laxative, but "loosens" me up enough to go. I went 3 days before I ever had a BM after surgery. Once you get on regular foods, be sure to get enough fiber in your diet.

How much Water are you drinking in a day? That has a lot to do with it. Liquid fiber would help as well so yes I would drink it. If the "monster" doesn't arrive soon please do consider a mild enema. You don't want that to get worse. BELIEVE ME!!!!!!!!!!! LOL!!

Some people get diarrhea on the liquid diet. I got constipated. It happens. If I could go back, I would have glycerin suppositories on hand. I heard (too late) they work great, sure wish they'd have been handy.

Maybe give that a try instead of doing the tug of war thing. I like Penni's mild enema, too, but the suppositories seems a bit less...hmmm...messy? Easier, anyway. Good luck! You will feel Soooooo much better when you finally go!

Glycerin suppositories are great if you are really plugged up.

After getting unplugged, definitely add Fiber to your diet. Benefiber works. So does SF Metamucil (not sure why, but I prefer this to the benefiber).

Daily exercise helps me too, as does getting in all my Water.

(I had the opposite problem during the liquid/mushy phase. I'm so glad to be on solid foods now!)

I had to take stool softeners for three days before the problem was solved. They had given me Barium before I left the hospital and I was totally miserable.

Milk of Mag is good too. And like everyone already said, drink lots of fluids.

Sorry you are having problems, I have continued to have Constipation and it's really miserable.

This is going to sound really gross, but it has to be said.....

I had the same problem. I kept thinking it would take care of itself eventually. After a full week, I was in EXTREME pain. I had never felt such terrible pain in my life. I called my brother-in-law who is a doctor. He told me to try an enema which did absolutely NOTHING!! He told me if that didn't work that I had a severe blockage & could do one of 2 things. 1) Go to the emergency room where the doctor would have to put a glove on and manually get the "monster" out. 2) I could put a glove on & manually get it out myself. UGH!!!!!!!!!!!

I was in such pain I would have done anything!! I chose #2. (Ha, no pun intended!) I felt like I was giving birth. I have never felt so gross & disgusting in my entire life!!!

So, lesson learned........it won't take care of itself!! I now take stool softeners if It's been 2 days & no "monster." I also take benefiber regularly & always stay on top of my Water drinking.

I can't believe I just told you all this. Nobody but my husband knows about this little incident!!! You all must be my VERY good friends!!

Diane - That's basically what I went thru a few hours ago. I'm feeling much better now and I am about to go to the store and get fiber and milk of mag (dr's recs). The good news is I am now prepared to have a baby someday, as I imagine that's what it feels like!

I can't believe I just told you all this. Nobody but my husband knows about this little incident!!! You all must be my VERY good friends!!

Ha! We are such a close-knit LBT family here! I can't believe some a the things I have confessed here, either. But, know what? in your situation I would have picked #2 as well. And if your info helps another person, well, then, it's worth it! And you can buy latex gloves at the drug store. Way to slay that monster!!!!

Be very, very careful with Metamucil, particularly if you are recently banded. It is a bulking agent, and you certainly don't want it swelling up in your pouch, which it will do if you can't drink enough Water to wash it through. If you are like most of us right after surgery, you are already swollen and restricted. PLEASE do not go Metamucil at this time. Benefiber is NOT a bulking agent, so that should be okay.

Glycerin suppositories would be my choice.

Good luck!

I was told by my Dr Milk of Magnesia....for those really rough times. However, I found these orange hard candies that are FIBER~ I take two a day and it keeps things moving..No need for the MOM.....They are by Fiber Choice. They also have a chewable kind, but I found them to be too bulky....the hard candies disolve just as any other hard candy and dont have a residue that would bulk up around your band!!! I am hooked and I aint going back:D

Milk of Magnesia is the way to go. Fiber will bulk you up and the longer you go while taking the fiber, the more pain you will have when it's time!!

It took me 8 days :-(

Ok, I broke down and bought a 99 cent enema and 5 minutes later I feel anew again! Warning to anyone about to get surgery - drink the prune juice/milk of magnesia/whatever and keep an enema on hand!