Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

definition of plateau?

I want to ask the more experienced bandsters about plateaus. I believe it is normal to have periods where your weight stays the same...a body adjustment, so to speak. But, when is more than that, and an "official" plateau? And when do you need to do something about it, like get another fill, or rework your eating plan?

I am trying to find the balance between patience and complacency.

I await your words of wisdom....and thank you in advance.

Cindy

Plateaus are the body's way of reestablishing a weight set point. What that means it is resetting the metabolic rate at which you body works at. The reason for the stall, I believe, is the body is making sure that this is a set weight, not a flucuating weight. Everyone thinks that plateaus only occur during weight loss, not true, it also occurs during weight gains, it's simply we don't notice it because when we're gaining, we're usually not paying attention to the scales like when we were loosing.

Many people (experts) believe that changing your eating and exercise routine during this time, often restarts the weight loss and waits until you reach what the body considers to be another set point. How, why and if the body deteremines the set point is something I am not familiar with. I only know this bit of information as I took a nutrition course in college and was quite fascinated with the metabolic process, wonder why :-] I do know there is not a particular amount like, 25 lbs, and then you go into a plateau. I believe it's as individual as we are therefore varies. I also believe that exercise plays a major role.

If you notice, there have been some people on the boards lately that have been complaining of not being able to get the scale to move. Finally out of frustration they slightly elevate their caloric intake and boom they drop 4-5 lbs in a week!!! That's because the body realizes due to the slight increase in food that it is not starving and there is no need to hold at the present weight.

This is only my opinion, based on a class that I took and further research I have done reading fitness articles and watching fitness shows. But as you know, these are most often contradictory, so who knows?

Hope this helps.

Cindy

Here is what I was told by my doc what an "official plateau" really is. If you are following all the bandster rules to the letter and doing the exercising and being a good doo bee and still not losing weight then that is an official plateau.

If you are moderately following the rules and getting minimal exercise then you just need to readjust your eating habits and the weight should begin to fall off again. It will come off slower though because of not following the rules. Wish it weren't so. Oh and during this stage you most likely don't need a fill but everyone is different here. So judge for yourself.

If you are following the rules and exercising but notice you can eat a little more than usual and NOT (I stress NOT) PB'ing at all then you might want to consider getting a small fill.

It is all subjective and the further into the process you will learn your body more and more.

Loads of luck.

I had a plateau for months, had another fill that did nothing..I think the biggest thing is patience. It will happen, you will break the plateau, I had a 5 lb loss in 1 week, amazing! Have not seen that much weight loss in 1 week in over a year. I started journaling my food intake on Sept 12th and started eating more dairy foods, 2 glasses of milk and 1 yogurt every day. I think both of those attributed to my weight loss. The journaling helps you to see where you can cut out, and all those little bites you take here and there throughout the day you do not think matter, they do. The studies say with 3 servings a day of dairy and a reduced calorie weight loss will help to lose wieght, so I tried it. It seemd to work for me. DOnt get discouraged, keep remembering all of the great NSV's you have had so far, do not let the scale dictate your success or failures with the band..NSV's are just as important as what thescale reads! Good Luck and hang in there..

I appreciate all the great feedback! I'm willing to read more, if there are others who have been through this (I guess we all have or will!). I did print out the "adjustment" sticky...because I am also deciding whether to have another fill. I have not been following all the rules, or even a majority of them, so I am taking myself back to strict adherence, and seeing what that will do. Repeat to self: It's not magic, it's not magic, it's not magic...." Sometimes I foget to work with my little guardian angel, and then it gets lazy! Thanks to all, Cindy