Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sunddenly I'm indecisive Bad vs Bypass

ughh I can't spell Band vs. Bypass

I have spent the last 5 1/2 months going thru the process to prepare for weight loss surgery. I have one more visit then I go for insurance approval.

All along the way I've been focused on being banded in my mind the biggest benefits over bypass is well ... you aren't cutting in to 2 organs and sewing them back together. Plus the supplements post-op are different.

The band also gives more control in mind anyway - need more restriction get a fill.

This past weekend I got my seminar book out and started going back thru it. To determine maximum weight loss we took our BMI and looked up the weight for our BMI at 24. Took exisiting weight - the weight at BMI 24 okay so you have the number for excess weight. Take that divide by 2.

That is considred your goal weight after surgery.

I'm 200lbs over weight, I'm scared now that I'm not going to lose enough weight with the band. I want so bad to play softball again, board a plane with out praying the seat next to me is either empty or has a child in it so I won't impose to much holding my arms at the elbows so they don't hang in the aisle.

I really want to lose 150 - 175lbs but doing the estimate I'm looking at only 100lb - I can't believe I just said only. I'll be thrilled to lose 10lbs!

I'm preparing walking,counting Protein etc..

Help, I'm on the ledge - talk me off

Edited by TinaM

I have yet to do the surgery, but I’ve been to a seminar. Now if what my surgeon say is true you WILL lose just as much with the band as you would with the gastric bypass. In five years he says patients of the lap-band and gastric bypass lose the same amount of weight and that really with the band you can possibly lose more weight in the long run the with the gastric bypass. Now like I said I don’t know for sure I’m just going off what my surgeon informed me.

You can lose as much as you want with the band. There's no limit. And yes, 3-5 years out losses are similar, from what I've read. There are reasons to choose one over another (ie if you are a grazer, the band won't work as well or easily) but max weight you can lose really isn't one of them.

If you are considering bypass versus band, and not considering the sleeve.....you haven't read enough or understand enough yet.

My wife has the sleeve, and I have a band. The band works, it is just a lot more work and a lot more frustrating parts. It also has a much higher long term complication rate.

You definitely need to consider doing more research since you are on the fence still. I think you do have more options than just band vs. bypass. I didn't want to cut my stomach in any way but I had a lower BMI and I wanted Portion Control. It really has to do with what your eating habits are in my opinion and also if you have a strong emotional attachment to food. Go to lots of seminars and research and research some more before you make a decision. You can lose as much as you want with the sleeve but I don't believe it is as helpful for emotional eaters and eaters who have serious problems with food unless they get a lot of professional help along with the band.

I am so sorry. I meant to say you can lose as much as you want with the band. I am sure you can with the sleeve too, I just made a typo.

Thank you all for your information. Once thing is very clear - I need to do some additional research.

Sorry but I think I may have misunderstood, I am considering the band because less invasive and less complications - post op but after reading Jaffa I'm concerned- he said MORE COMPLICATIONS with the band??? Does anyone have any idea what complications???

Tina,

I'm not going to convince you to get either surgery but just let you know that I had both. First the lap band in 2007 and then it's removal due to the fact that it never worked for me and I had GERD bad enough to send me to the ER.

Basically the lap band is trying to restrict the size of your stomach to mimic the gastric bypass without the bypass part. If you search through this whole site you will find many people who have done really well and also read the complications and frustrations that can also happen to people who have been banded.

I discovered I needed more than just a restrictive device and have finally become successful with weight loss again through RNY. I had/have many comorbs and am nearly 50 years old and found the mere act of losing weight difficult over the past 20 years.

There are also more forums like Obesityhelp.com which involve all surgeries and may help direct you to the right one for "you". I know it's not always easy and trust me going through two different weight loss surgeries is not a cake walk but it took two to learn which was the right one for me unfortunately and I prefer others not to have to go through two as I have. Good luck and keep searching, Nancy.

Nancy - thank you for the information I wasn't aware of the other site - I will check it out.

I went back and forth before I decided on the Lap band. I have several co-morbidities and the doctor suggested bypass because you can lose weight faster in the beginning with the bypass because of the malabsorption component. With the band you're eating less because of the restriction. However, you have to get periodic fills (or unfills), so you have to "work it" more. I don't know a lot about the sleeve, except that those who have it seem very (sometimes overly) enthusiastic about it. It's not covered by my insurance, so I didn't even consider it, because I couldn't afford it.

In the end, I went with the band for a couple of reasons. First, my volume of food has lessened as I've gotten older (I think it's a menopause thing), and when I'm full, I don't feel like eating any more. The other big reason was that I was hospitalized in February with pneumonia and spent over a week in a hospital bed. When I got out, I didn't want to go anywhere near a hospital for a long time. I wanted a less intrusive surgery. I know a lot of people who've gotten the bypass and have been very successful. A few of those, though, had complications that required more hospitalization, and I just didn't want to risk it.

Good luck on making your decision!

I still get surprised every time I hear someone in favor of bypass...partially because of my own thoughts on it, but also because I feel like there are so many advantages to the band.

I will admit that the fast weight loss that results from RNY is tempting. But that's, to me, the only advantage over the band.

Again, maybe it's just me, but have you noticed that a LOT of bypass patients LOOK like bypass patients? I feel like they always have a different look to them...like a partially full bag or something. I would consider the slower weight loss with the band a plus, actually. It gives your body more time to catch up with the weight loss. Furthermore, have you heard that bypass patients have approximately one year to lose the weight they're going to lose? And typically, after that year is up, there is at least some uptick in weight...the graphical curves I've seen show the band as a slow but steady loss that eventally surpasses bypass because bypass patients typically gain at least a little (if not all) weight back.

Here's a sample of my "pro" list for the band, if it helps:

1. MUCH less invasive of a procedure

2. Reversible, if needed

3. Fewer complications

4. No malabsorption problems or Vitamin deficiency

5. No dumping

6. Corrects overeating behavior

7. LIFELONG modifications to increase nutritional intake when needed (eg, pregnancy, endurance training) and decrease when needed (eg, weight gain, slow weight loss)

I think my biggest plus on the band side is that it's a TOOL. I see it as something to help me lose weight now--slowly but surely--and help me maintain over the long term.

Of course, it's a personal decision, and we know that RNY works. I know that, for me, the band is better because I need more help with portions, etc. I love that I could have all the restriction removed by removing saline...but then fill it back up if I slip. My mind has wandered over to bypass only when I crave that quick fix (not that it's easy...but it's definitely quicker).

Good luck with your decision!!

I still get surprised every time I hear someone in favor of bypass...partially because of my own thoughts on it, but also because I feel like there are so many advantages to the band.

I will admit that the fast weight loss that results from RNY is tempting. But that's, to me, the only advantage over the band.

Again, maybe it's just me, but have you noticed that a LOT of bypass patients LOOK like bypass patients? I feel like they always have a different look to them...like a partially full bag or something. I would consider the slower weight loss with the band a plus, actually. It gives your body more time to catch up with the weight loss. Furthermore, have you heard that bypass patients have approximately one year to lose the weight they're going to lose? And typically, after that year is up, there is at least some uptick in weight...the graphical curves I've seen show the band as a slow but steady loss that eventally surpasses bypass because bypass patients typically gain at least a little (if not all) weight back.

Here's a sample of my "pro" list for the band, if it helps:

1. MUCH less invasive of a procedure

2. Reversible, if needed

3. Fewer complications

4. No malabsorption problems or Vitamin deficiency

5. No dumping

6. Corrects overeating behavior

7. LIFELONG modifications to increase nutritional intake when needed (eg, pregnancy, endurance training) and decrease when needed (eg, weight gain, slow weight loss)

I think my biggest plus on the band side is that it's a TOOL. I see it as something to help me lose weight now--slowly but surely--and help me maintain over the long term.

Of course, it's a personal decision, and we know that RNY works. I know that, for me, the band is better because I need more help with portions, etc. I love that I could have all the restriction removed by removing saline...but then fill it back up if I slip. My mind has wandered over to bypass only when I crave that quick fix (not that it's easy...but it's definitely quicker).

Good luck with your decision!!

Well, you are probably surprised because you list advantages that are really marketing gimmicks and not really advantages. So it is understandable why you are surprised.

1. MUCH less invasive

Yea, it is less invasive of a SURGERY, but in reality is more invasive in daily life, and it is only slightly less invasive then getting a sleeve. Some would argue it is actually more invasive then the sleeve, since it creates a restriction point "stoma" to get food stuck on instead of just making the stomach smaller.

2. Reversible if needed. Well, when exactly is it needed to reverse the band surgery? Well frankly, when it fails due to complications......Slips, Erosions, Infections, Port Flips, Acid Reflux.

3. Fewer complications. That may be true for the surgery, but as for actual long term complications, it simply isn't true. In fact many would argue that long term complications are more with the band. I think that is pretty obviously true, but bury your head in the sand and pretend like it won't happen to you, if you want.

4. No malabsorption are Vitamin deficiency. Well some people need malabsorption to be successful, and why do I have to take Vitamins everyday on the band, if it is not an issue?

5. No dumping syndrome. Well, true, but if you eat those things that cause dumping with a bypass and you have a band, you are pretty much guaranteed to not lose weight with the band. So what really is the point? What your really saying is that the band will let you cheat and eat sugary stuff without a consequence other then no weight loss.

6. Corrects overeating behaviour. NO it does not correct the behaviour. It prevents it to some extent, but so do the other surgeries, so how is that an advantage over the others. It doesn't truely correct the behaviour, because the people who don't have restriction because the band isn't adjusted correctly simply aren't going to lose weight. If you remove it, you behaviour isn't corrected, you gain the weight back.

7. LIFELONG? Yea right, thats why there are so many banders who have had the band for so long. Please everyone with any research will tell you that for a majority of people 10 years is about the most you can expect to get out of the band before it has to come out, or has to be unfilled because of complications.

Man, every one of your reasons are BS. Quit reading the marketing BS of these companies and think about the realities of the band.

Edited by Jaffa

I did the same thing.. I began to 2nd guess myself. My Dr. office did not help. ... they push the bypass way more due to quick and more sign. numbers. My dr.explained it to me this way...

the bypass is a "set it and forget it". Your body lets you know if it's too much, too fatty etc. - you also tend to lose your hunger for up to a year.

the band requires a lot more personal involvment and commitment.

He said the folks that do good on the band to GREAT..and the ones that don't- do very poorly.

The numbers you are therefore seeing are an avg. of that so.. the ones that do good, lose like the bypass, just not quit as fast. I believe most of the numbers at a 3-5 year avg too. It would be interesting to see how those numbers differ at the 10 year mark.

I like the "do over" of the fills if I "slip".

It really comes down to what you feel is right for you since only you can answer that question of commitment, lifestyle etc.

Good luck. It's scary. I"m nearly 2 weeks post op and I still have days I wonder if I took the right road. I am going to do my darnest to be one of the good examples though and I think joinging this support group is the 1st in many steps to doing that.

Are you logging your food and excersise,water intake etc. It may help you determine a course based on habits. I use the livestrong site, the daily plate..Keeps me brutally honest about what I ate when etc. It helped me determine if I was grazing alot and to work on changing that preop. :mad2:

Uh, Jaffa? I don't think anyone is attacking you for your choices. Veronda is only stating what her pros were for her choices in getting a lap band. You may see them as marketing tools, but there is a lot of data to back up pros and cons for all weight loss surgeries. I was very indecisive right before the lap band surgery, but I am very glad that I chose the band rather than another surgery. What works for you or anyone else is great, and I hope we can share what we are doing without getting upset with each other. I have a friend who had the lap band removed recently, and it was for none of the reasons you stated. She developed cancer and had to have it removed for treatment. They do not recommend she have another weight loss surgery, but she is being thankful that she is alive today. Let's just get along and Celebrate everyone's success.....I have only lost 69 pounds since I started my weight loss journey, but I am truly proud of each person who has gastric, lap band, sleeve, or any surgery that helps them stop the downward slide that continuing to gain weight can cause. Let's celebrate life and another day on this planet!