Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To Fill or Not to Fill?

I have an appointment to get another fill tomorrow. I was feeling like I really needed one when I made the appointment. That same day at lunch I could barely get my food down. I have felt great restriction for the last week...then yesterday I was able to eat more than I should be able to. I have not really lost any weight since my last fill and then unfill. Maybe they took too much out? If I could have restriction like I did last week it would be great. My challange is to make the decision to go ahead and get the fill or to see if the restriction starts back up again. Since it went away yesterday I feel like I should still go ahead with my appointment. Has anyone else had this experience and what did you do?

Kathy,

Thanks for the link. I have printed it out. Of course I am guilty of not eating exactly the right things and junk food too. I do eat vey slow and take only small bite. I never drink with my meals so I do a lot of things right too. I think I will keep my appointment and try and eat healthier and exercise more. Thanks for your feedback. I have been away from the board a while becasue my life is so hectic! I have lost a total of 2 pant sizes though. I am in a 12 now. So that is a NSV!

Angie, this happens to me everytimne I schedule a fill..the minute i hang up the phone from making the appointment I get my restriction back..

I have a fill scheduled for Oct 31st and I'm thinking of canceling it, I lost 5 lbs last week and had a PB from hell last night. Its a strange phenomenon, other have had the same thing happen so your not alone

Angie -- I have my first fill scheduled tomorrow. Have been able to eat pretty much anything without restriction for the last week and then today I thought I was going to die while eatting a cracker. I think this is as close to a PB as I've ever been; pain, sweating, feeling like I was going to vomit. So yes there must be something to the pre-fill jitters.

I'm still contemplating on whether or not to schedule another fill. I think I've lost a pound or 2 - but just when I'm ready to make an apointment for another fill then something will happen where I'm like well there's no way I could get more when I feel like this now..........so it does happen and I'm in the same boat - to fill or not? Maybe I could just get a small one. Maybe that would help.

Guest j. lynn

Do you need another fill? That's entirely possible. For most people, it takes 3-5 fills to get to a good restriction level. You need a fill if:

1) You can eat more than you should. For a meal, you should have 2-4 ounces of meat (chicken or whatever), 1/4-1/2 cup of veggies and MAYBE something starchy if you have room. If you can eat more than that, you need a fill.

2) You should eat a bandster portion (above) and be full (full means not hungry) for 3-4 hours. If you eat the right portions, but are hungry after an hour, you need a fill.

Are you following the bandster rules?

1) At least 64 ounces of Water a day. It counts as Water if it is calorie-free (or close) -- so Crystal Light and sugar-free Kool-Aid count. It also must be Decaf - regular coffee doesn't count as a liquid.

2) At least 60 grams of Protein a day.

3) No drinking with meals. I even have a no-drinking for 30 minutes after a meal...some docs say 1 hour after.

4) All liquids must be almost calorie-free, except milk. This means no sugary lemonades, but you can have Crystal Light, sugar-free Kool-Aid, water, sugar-free popsicles.

5) Eat Breakfast. Not really a bandster rule, but one that I've found very important.

6) No grazing. If you want a snack, fine, plan for it. But don't keep eating those Hershey kisses by your co-workers desk. You'd be surprised at how fast they add up.

7) Exercise daily. No matter what the level -- if you can only walk 10 minutes, do 10 minutes. If you can do 1/2 hour, do that. But do something and every so often, increase your time and intensity.

Try tracking your calorie intake on fitday.com for just a few days. See how many calories you're taking in. If you're not losing, you're probably taking in more than you think. Course, it's possible to take in too few calories and then your body will shut down. The goal is for 1200-1500 calories/day.

My doctor is very happy with my weightloss -- I am too. But I seriously have followed these rules 98% of the time.

Sorry this has been long, but I am very happy to help people whenever I can. If you have more questions, please let me know...I am an open book on this!

Well, I decided to go ahead and get the fill. One thing that I did learn today is that I should get my fills in the afternoon since I am tight in the morning. They gave me .4 cc's and I pb'd on the Water they make you drink before you can leave the office. They took out .2cc's and I was still having trouble getting the water down. I spoke to the fill person and told her I thought I would be okay becasue they were having me drink cold water and that was making me tighter. She said not to drink anything for an hour and to let my band rest. For lunch I drank warm chicken broth and I had no problems. She counseled me not to eat so much Soup because it just goes through the band and I will never feel restriction. I need to eat Protein first and then my veggies. She said to look at the size of my hand and to eat the palm size portion of protein and a palm size portion of veggies and then stop. If I am full before I eat that much then I should stop when full. I hope I do better. I weighed 167 at the doctor today. Haven't dropped any more weight. :) I am going to try hard to follow the rules and I walked 2 miles today and yesterday I walked 1 mile.:) Thank you to all of you that responded and I'm glad I'm not the only one that experienced this weird phenomon.