Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bump under incision site with moderate numbness

I am 8 days out from my lap band surgery and am a little freaked out! The larger incision (where the band is inserted) has a lump under the skin about the length of the incision. It feels deep not just superficial. At first my entire tummy was a little hard to the touch but this is staying hard to the touch. All of the incisions are healing well, but this feels wrong.

Also there is some light numbness underneath the incision but not above it? This is my first surgery of any kind so I am not sure what to expect.

Any ideas?

Sorry...do you mean you are numb below the incision (ie towards your waist) or you mean internally?

Unless the area is warm to the touch, has red striations radiating out, and/or you have a fever, it can probably wait until your doc is open.

It's probably an adhesion or scar tissue (just a guess, not a doc) and the numbness is probably from nerves being cut (that may reduce but may not ever go away)

Again, unless you have a fever, or unless the area is hot etc, you are safe to not worry about it and wait until your doc's office opens to ask.

If it is scar tissue or an adhesion, there isn't too much you can do about it, so waiting won't make it worse.

Thanks for the reply! It is numb below (towards my waist) about 3/4 inch down. Also, I have reddish (No streaks) on the skin where it is numb. At first I thought it was just the bruise...and it might be, but it is not changing colors....the other incision bruising is almost gone. I know this might take longer because it is the largest wound.

The largest incision is supposed to be your port incision...at least for my doctor it is. That hardness you feel should be your port.

I had a lump under my incision too. When I went back to the doctor after surgery, he said it was scar tissue and it would go away. I had my surgery on 7/10 and it has indeed went away. I thought it was weird too but the doctor was right. I'm not sure about the red skin--if its really red and you have a fever I'd call the doctor. Good luck and hope you feel better.

My "port" scar was long and thin, but the access scar for me too was pretty large, and is still 1 year later red and "keloid", but the port scar is almost gone. :thumbup: Personally I can't feel my port, either, but I was and am still pretty fat. Any way, still sounds like you're doing fine and can just run it by the surgeon on Tues. When is your post op check up?

I was so worried I called my doctor since he was on call this weekend. He thinks I might be having a reaction to the steri strips so I am taking Benedryl. He also called in an antibiotic....hmmm...still going to try and get in to see him Tuesday or Wednesday.

Numbness around an incision is fairly common. I remember that after my Caesars it took ages before normal feeling returned.

My dr told me that the bump under the incision is two things possible scar tissue and also the incision is stitched under your skin too so that is the tiny knot u maybe feeling.